PDA

View Full Version : Engine shut down

SoTX
07-01-2008, 11:16 PM
I have an 05 XLV Gravity Games. Have never had a lick of trouble with anything on this boat. This past weekend we are out doing some wake skating. I am towing along at 15 to 20 mph when all of a sudden I lose power. Engine is still running but no power. So I cut off the engine and restart. Boat goes back to normal. 10 minutes later it happens again. I am thinking impeller and over heating. My temp gauge was fluctuating between 180 and 230. My boat has always been a constant 180. So I bring it in and change out the impeller. This is the factory impeller by the way. Impeller looks good, no missing pieces, a bit diformed but still relatively good condition. Since the impeller change I have not taken the boat back out.
What do you guys think my problem could be? What else should I check?
Thanks Bros.

JesseC
07-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Do you have strainers on the raw water pickups between the hull and the V-drive. I sucked in some card board that became lodged in the trans cooler. It should be on the starboard side, just follow the water inlet off of the v-drive. It has about 30 number 2 size pencil holes in it and if you picked up a plastic bag or something water may not be making it to the engine. Another possibility could be the thermostat. I would check the trans cooler inlet.

SoTX
07-02-2008, 08:39 AM
Now that makes sence.
So find the inlet and and disconnect the hoses to see if there is debris?

JesseC
07-02-2008, 08:47 AM
The inlet itself underneath the boat could have been clogged. When I have had temp issues in the past with different boats, I do the following:

1) Swim under boat to make sure there is not a plastic bag or something stuck on the inlet grate. If there is nothing get the boat on a trailer to do the rest.

2) Check Strainers if they have been installed.

3) Check Trans Cooler for blockage.
(It is the cigar shaped tube that is between the V-drive and the raw water pump that has the number 2 size pencil holes in it. This is usually where you find the debris, usually weeds, plastic bags, cardboard...you get the idea. I disconnect both sides and check to make sure I can see through it.)

4) Disconnect hose to the raw water pump and hook up the fake a lake and see if water is making it to the raw water pump. CAUTION: this will fill your bilge with water quickly! Since it is on the trailer, just pull the plug prior turning on the hose. If a lot of water comes out of the drain plug there probably is no blockage. I do this when I summerize just to flush out bugs and other crap that has gotten in there.

5) Reconnect hose to raw water pump and start the boat, see if water is coming out of the exhaust.

6) If water comes out of the exhaust, let run at idle until operating temps are achieved. If you are still overheating check thermostat.

If none of the above fixes your issue you still have other options...just let us know.