PDA

View Full Version : Submarining Outback

brentsmiley
07-01-2008, 01:50 AM
I have a 99 Outback that loves to play James Bond and submarine with the lightest chop. In fact, one fine Spring Day, I was cruising around the lake when I found out that cell phones don't like water. It was floating on the floor of the boat after a rather large rocker came charging over the bow.

deafgoose
07-01-2008, 01:56 AM
HAHA!

Did you have a question or just felt like sharing a funny story?

Buttafewcoe
07-01-2008, 04:41 AM
Thanks for sharing!
Hi, my name is Butta. I am addicted to boating.
=-)

ian ashton
07-01-2008, 09:35 AM
My Outback likes to submarine as well if you don't watch it, you just have to get used to driving a boat with such little freeboard. We've only done it while skiing/wakeboarding, so I've gotten into the habbit of driving sideways through the rollers and facing away from the skiier/rider when I swing back to pick them up.

kaneboats
07-01-2008, 02:31 PM
A little ballast in the trunk helps a bit.

mimoomba
07-01-2008, 04:47 PM
My Outback likes to submarine as well if you don't watch it, you just have to get used to driving a boat with such little freeboard. We've only done it while skiing/wakeboarding, so I've gotten into the habbit of driving sideways through the rollers and facing away from the skiier/rider when I swing back to pick them up.

I've dunk my 2002 Outback acouple of times when gitting a little hot on coming back to pick up a skier. The rollers can cacth you pretty good. Keeps the front passengers on their toes:D

Limishowman3
07-01-2008, 05:06 PM
Oh yah my outback the same thing, got scared one time when water poured in 3 times before i could pull the nose out of the water. All about timing and giving it a lil gas to stay dry on the boat. Thats the one problem I face mostly when my friends are driving and I am wakeboarding. Man do rope burns hurt.

jkendall79
07-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Happened to me to first day boarding with the new outback. I had a roller come up over the windshield and drench everyone in the boat! Just take your time getting back to the rider and wait for everything to calm down.

zabooda
07-01-2008, 08:25 PM
A little ballast in the trunk helps a bit.

Moving Bubba aka "little ballast" from the bow to the stern helps. Leaving him in the trunk with these hot temps may not be so good.

kaneboats
07-01-2008, 10:11 PM
Well I learned if you stop the boat good before you turn and you make a tight 180 pretty quick afterward you can cut inside your rollers (usually). The other benefit of stopping right away is you let the water clear.

bamaspiveys
07-02-2008, 12:36 AM
Our kids call it "washing the boat" they love it. It is just one of those things you learn to pay attention to, eventually it will be second nature. The MC 197 boats are even worse than the outback, that boat has nothing above the water line, fore or aft.

and cost 3 times what our boat costs, LOL

kaneboats
07-02-2008, 09:58 AM
Definitely worse when you've got a full load and somebody wants to slalom. You crowd everybody up front then pull at higher speed. Natural tendency is to make a faster turnaround after she drops. Then it's "Rollertime".

jmvotto
07-02-2008, 10:48 AM
I was pulling my daughter skiing behind my friend'ss 24v Tige " we are still friends" and buried the nose, 4 adults and 4kids in the boat( big rollers) Have not done it in the OBV yet but it will happen. Thnak goodness for snap out carpeting. Should be in the moomba's.

ian ashton
07-02-2008, 12:28 PM
I also have been keeping the snap-on bow cover on when we ski/wakeboard, helps roll most of the water away from the inside of the boat :)

deafgoose
07-02-2008, 05:03 PM
I experienced my 1st submerging today.

There was a Moomba Outback on my river today out wakesurfing. I was cruising and hit one of his waves and I would estimate 50 gallons entered the bow!

My gf and her mom were sitting at the front and got instantly soaked. Water was cold so they screamed really loud. Good times! :)

bamaspiveys
07-02-2008, 10:17 PM
good times
soaking your future mother in law

LoL

zegm
07-02-2008, 10:24 PM
I can say that our new LS I have only managed to do one time but she does have much more freeboard than an outback. The old MasterCraft we had was horrible or awesome depending on your perpective. If I saw it coming over the closed bow and knew I was the only one aware of it then it could be fun, but if I was looking out the side watching the skier in the water while turning to pick them up I would sometimes get a nice surprise.
Also our lake is very shallow and is created by a dam built across the bay. The wind comes off the bay really hard some days and I couldn't go over 15mph in that old MC without soaking everyone from water coming from everywhere!!! Yeah freeboard is nice and one of the reasons we picked the LS over the Outback V was I felt better knowning the kids were seating deeper in the larger hull.

jmvotto
07-03-2008, 12:34 AM
Z,

I got the OBV, kids haven't fallen out yet... LOL, Nor Have I buried the nose... yet LOL

deafgoose
07-03-2008, 12:46 AM
good times
soaking your future mother in law

LoL

HAHA! Yeah.

We have been together 9years and have no plans to get married so she will never technically be my mother in law. :D

zegm
07-03-2008, 07:17 AM
I would have never thought about the kids falling out having come from a closed bow boat but when we were test driving the OBV at Atlanta Marine the (very good salesman) cranked the wheel over at 42mph with my kids sitting up front. They were surprised, well that kind of scared the wife and I so we did notice at the boat show that the LS/LSV are much deeper hulls and it was a selling point for us. As far as water over the bow, it has only happened one really good time so far with the LS but the old MasterCraft was a master. You would watch it dip the nose and then see a wall of water coming over the closed bow, up and over the windsheild and soak everyone. I also have a 25ft Proline and have a few times while going out the pass (narrow channel from Bay to Gulf) dipped the nose. Now that is scary and now I understand why fishing boats have self bailing cockpits!!!

Sled491
07-06-2008, 07:39 PM
I'm with Kane, don't be in such a hurry to swing around and you won't fill the bow and get dirty looks from your lovely bride. On the other hand the lovely bride likes to come around fast and fill the boat, what's up with that?

kaneboats
07-07-2008, 10:31 AM
I'm just glad she'll drive at all. I realized on Sat. that she's actually getting pretty good at it. Gone are the days when I'd have to swim 50 yards to get picked up. Still, I wish she'd give me a little more power on the way out. Slow careful acceleration may be great for mileage but I'm gettin' old!!!!!!!!!!!

deafgoose
07-07-2008, 11:03 AM
I spend more time getting pulled than driving. Now my gf is a better driver than me. lol

SC07LS
07-07-2008, 01:21 PM
I haven't yet submerged our 07 LS. My wife has a couple of times. Nothing like seeing a wall of water coming over the front of the boat when they are coming back to pick you up. It seems best to thottle back to neutral and let the rollers spin you 180, instead of powering over top the rollers. She is starting to get it. I still have to swim 50 feet back to the boat when I'm done. Maybe next year she will get it down to 20.

jester
07-07-2008, 02:01 PM
This is a great topic. This last week i was out on the lake with some friends and this girl i wanted to date. Well she was fully clothed and we warned her that she was in a boat and that was not a good idea. Well I was pulling a tube and submerged my outback all the way to the top of the window. She was sitting in the bow looking back and did not see it coming or see the look on my face when I noticed there was nothing I could do to avoid it. I even got wet on that one. The fun times of pulling tubers and getting girls socked.

kaneboats
07-07-2008, 03:43 PM
I had my sister from L.A. and my cousin sitting up front for a good part of the day earlier this year. I took great care to keep from dousing them for about 2 hours. Then one time I just messed up or something and still tried not to get them too wet. They turned on me like a pair of rabid bit*hes. They were sure I did it on purpose never realizing the superhuman effort I had put in all day to keep them dry. Just goes to show you-- don't get in the boat if you aren't planning on getting wet.

AaronWhitt82
07-24-2008, 08:12 PM
I have tried and tried again to train my girlfriend how to pick me up when I fall. Almost every time she turns around the get me she doesn't stop or slow down and just turns around and then stops and idles over the wake and then the water comes over the front. I don't know why she can't understand when I show her how to do it and she just does it her own way. It also doesn't help when other boats are going by and creating a wake as well.
I'm tired of the boat being wet and smelling like wet feet! Well maybe one day she will catch on......

Another big thing I hate is when larger boats go by when you are getting ready to do a set and just sitting there and the idiots come within 30 feet of you and throw a wake over the side of the boat. I have chased 2 of these idiots down in 1 week alone screaming at them and they throw the bird with one hand and have a beer in the other and keep going. Not worth it to chase them anymore and I just get close enough now to get their registration number and call the Conservation Police.

Sled491
07-24-2008, 08:16 PM
Aaron, I have come to the conclusion that most people are idiots. Of course I'm sure the fisherman on there boards say the same thing about us. My biggest complaint actually are the Tooners. On the Fox river the toon parade is full of blue hairs and drunk morrons. Not a common courtesy amongst the lot of them

AaronWhitt82
07-24-2008, 08:33 PM
Aaron, I have come to the conclusion that most people are idiots. Of course I'm sure the fisherman on there boards say the same thing about us. My biggest complaint actually are the Tooners. On the Fox river the toon parade is full of blue hairs and drunk morrons. Not a common courtesy amongst the lot of them

Yea I hear ya. The fishermen around me are rarely out during the day on weekends and usually hit the water at 5am and get off early. If I do see any, I respect them and stay way clear so I don't disturb them.
Anymore I don't like going out on weekends. I could write a damn book on all the drunken, stupidity and everything I have seen so far this summer. I love going out after 5pm on the weekends when there is hardly a boat on the water and it is butta!!
The weekends anymore I just sit at the beach and have a few beverages and watch all the retards on the water. Then later in the evening they all manage to find their ways back in and then I'll go do some sets.
There are also alot of pontoons here, but they don't bother me as bad as the cruisers and speed boats.

Chris_B
08-09-2008, 05:38 PM
I experienced my 1st submerging today.

There was a Moomba Outback on my river today out wakesurfing. I was cruising and hit one of his waves and I would estimate 50 gallons entered the bow!

I had just gotten back to my fallen skier (past my own rollers) when I got caught in 3-4 consecutive "double-ups" from passing boats. We took all of them over the bow. I'd say it was 200-300 gallons. The water was 5 inches deep above the carpet! It took at least 30 minutes to pump it all out. I was a bit scared for a minute. I've only run the boat ('02 OB) about 5 total hours now -- still getting used to it. Any tips?

Sled491
08-10-2008, 10:00 AM
When you see these coming, if you can, give your boat some throttle to try to lift the front end above the crests coming at you.