PDA

View Full Version : Boat Lifts/inboard friendly?

KurtL
06-29-2008, 11:39 PM
I just bought a Hewitt cantilever lift with the "inboard bunk kit". This kit is supposed to allow for an inboard prop to clear the top rear rail. After putting it together and adjusting the bunks' spacing, I'm still about two to three inches from clearing the prop(the fins seem to clear by 3 inches). Anyone else have a close fit and what did you do to remedy it?

Kurt
2008 LS

jmvotto
06-30-2008, 09:57 AM
How far apart are you bunks?

Aquaholic
06-30-2008, 10:08 AM
Don't think I have the same kind of lift, but the spacing of the rear bunks may be a good place to start. Secondly if that does'nt work I'd be on the horn to the dealer. My 2 cents.

Aqua

maxpower220
06-30-2008, 06:53 PM
I have the Hewitt Cantilever lift. I put it together 4-5 years ago, so the details are pretty foggy. I didn't buy the "inboard" kit. I bought to pieces of aluminum square and mounted 2"x4"s on them for bunks. I gave me the clearance that I need and was a little cheaper (at that time).
My MC is pictured and I measured the spacing of the bunks on the trailer to set it up. I have not adjusted it for the Outback yet.
I hope this helps.

KurtL
06-30-2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the input. I called Hewitt this morning. The tech rep said that the inboard bunk kit is made to clear fins and and drive shaft, but not prop. He said that the boat should be well balanced on the lift (esp. DD). A bow stop was highly suggested however. I figure that side guides should be placed as well if others are going to dock the boat.

Kurt

KurtL
06-30-2008, 09:23 PM
Sorry, bunks are about 4 feet apart. Boat looks well seated in the bunks at this spacing

Kurt

Reese350
06-30-2008, 10:10 PM
I have a cantilever lift too but it's a different brand (Great Lakes Lifts). My prop does not clear but like your rep suggested, it sits nicely on the lift without pulling it that far up. We've just had to get used to positioning it so we don't ding the prop or put pressure on the shaft. Once you get used to it, it's not so hard to do.

Enjoy the new lift!

Scott

jmvotto
06-30-2008, 10:16 PM
Kurtl,

i had these questions when i put my lift(non cant, vert lift) together. The prop should never goes past the stern cross bar. i picked a spot on the boat after i walked it in the 1st time to pull the boat forward to. key don't lower the bunks to far or the boat may pull too far forward and damage the shaft, thus the dealer recommended bow stop.

Good luck

https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=17&pictureid=113

the rear cross bar is forward of (square box) motor. I can get you better pics this weekend if you want.

BTW this is a Great lakes hoist, my buddy has a hewitt Cantalever, but has an I/O in it at my other dock.

ABUCKOTOMAMBO
07-01-2008, 02:23 PM
My bunks are positioned to clear the tracking fins. My boat lift sits in the middle of a "Y" so it is impossible for me to drive my boat too far forward. I would highly suggest getting a bow stop! Not because you would drive your boat too far forward but it only takes one well meaning guest to cause a lot of dammage.

KurtL
07-01-2008, 03:57 PM
I just placed the order for the bow stop. Thanks for all the info.

Kurt