PDA

View Full Version : installing a sub in '08 outback

local 11 spark
06-29-2008, 12:37 PM
Prolly wanna put it in the footboard...any suggestions??? Skeerd to cut in my boat.

local 11 spark
06-29-2008, 10:51 PM
Who's this guy??? What's that answer got to do with mounting a sub???

deafgoose
06-29-2008, 11:07 PM
He is just a spammer or some type of bot.

I reported him.

c.rix
07-01-2008, 12:15 AM
Who's this guy??? What's that answer got to do with mounting a sub???

I just made a custom box to fit above the hump in the driver foot area It fires toward the side of the boat it sounds great

deafgoose
07-01-2008, 01:00 AM
What about buying one of these and bolt it under the drivers side foot well?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-KICKER-SKM10-10-MARINE-SEALED-SUB-ENCLOSED-WOOFER_W0QQitemZ280240103137QQihZ018QQcategoryZ328 23QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

jmvotto
07-01-2008, 06:48 AM
crix,

can you post up some pics, I am contemplating a sub palcement as well, under the drivers foot well.

Joe

local 11 spark
07-01-2008, 08:33 AM
yea, I'd be interested in NOT drilling into my boat...something mounted to the footwell would be great. Thanx guys.

ian ashton
07-01-2008, 09:20 AM
I just put my 10" Kicker L7 (in the pre-fab Kicker 'truck box') behind the passenger side seat, it fits perfectly. I don't have any pics of it directly, but you can kind of see it in this post:
https://forum.moomba.com/showpost.php?p=38328&postcount=42

I'll snap a few pics tonight when I'm out there.

jrich23
07-01-2008, 10:57 AM
What type of music do you listen to? Typically from my experience a sealed box is good for rock music, and maybe jazz, but not for much else. It produces a very tight bass, and won't be good for any type of hip hop or rap. This is just my .02. I have done a bunch of installs in cars and boats where my friends buy a sealed box because it was cheaper, and they are not happy with the results. If you are looking for that "I felt you coming" bass, a bandpass box or ported box in the storage area is best. Good luck.

ian ashton
07-01-2008, 11:39 AM
What type of music do you listen to? Typically from my experience a sealed box is good for rock music, and maybe jazz, but not for much else. It produces a very tight bass, and won't be good for any type of hip hop or rap. This is just my .02. I have done a bunch of installs in cars and boats where my friends buy a sealed box because it was cheaper, and they are not happy with the results. If you are looking for that "I felt you coming" bass, a bandpass box or ported box in the storage area is best. Good luck.

I listen to a lot of metal and hip hop and rap, and I absolutely love the response of the L7 in a sealed box. I'm running my 700.5 at 2 ohms, so the woofer is getting a decent amount of power. Bandpass enclosures are certainly louder, but typically '1 note wonders'. Ported would be louder, but I like the control of the sealed enclosure, not to mention the space savings, as the real estate in my Outback is precious. I seem to get a bit of a bandpass effect with the sealed box inside of the compartment, when I lift one of the front cushions it absolutely slams.

I've got quite a bit of experiance with competitive car audio and custom box building; I took the easy way out with the boat half expecting to end up building a box if/when I was disappointed with the response, and I honestly don't think I'll end up doing that.

jrich23
07-01-2008, 11:48 AM
I listen to a lot of metal and hip hop and rap, and I absolutely love the response of the L7 in a sealed box. I'm running my 700.5 at 2 ohms, so the woofer is getting a decent amount of power. Bandpass enclosures are certainly louder, but typically '1 note wonders'. Ported would be louder, but I like the control of the sealed enclosure, not to mention the space savings, as the real estate in my Outback is precious. I seem to get a bit of a bandpass effect with the sealed box inside of the compartment, when I lift one of the front cushions it absolutely slams.

I've got quite a bit of experiance with competitive car audio and custom box building; I took the easy way out with the boat half expecting to end up building a box if/when I was disappointed with the response, and I honestly don't think I'll end up doing that.

My post wasn't intended to insult you by any means, I was just speaking from my own experience. Pardon me if I was out of line.

ian ashton
07-01-2008, 12:15 PM
My post wasn't intended to insult you by any means, I was just speaking from my own experience. Pardon me if I was out of line.

I didn't take offense at all, just wanted to elaborate, haha. :)

local 11 spark
07-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Ian, it kinda looks like you took up alot of space in the storage compartment under the glove box...Is it as bad as the pics show? Maybe some different pics, thanx...

Richard