PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with transom remote ... help!

Razzman
06-29-2008, 11:00 AM
Hey all, i bought one of Aquaholics extra transom remotes and went to install yesterday but i'll be darned if i can find the deutcsh connector to plug it into to on my '07 LSV. :confused: I called the dealer and he stated it's plug-n-play and it should be at the transom, no go! Does anyone know where it is or can anyone look for me? I've looked bow to stern and cannot find find a loose connector anywhere! :(

tazz3069
06-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Razzman--
I just looked at my wiring. There are two sets of wires looms. Look inside the plastic that cover and protects all the wire and you should find the wires there. I will take a picture and post in a little bit.
Mark

Razzman
06-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Thanks Tazz! I'm about at wits end here! We're leaving for the lake for a week tomorrow morning and i'd like to have the remote working! :) Where is the loom your reffering to exactly?

tazz3069
06-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Lift up the driver side rear locker. Look under the lip of the fiberglass. Ther you will see the looms.

Aquaholic
06-29-2008, 02:41 PM
Tazz is right, drivers side up under the lip in the rear locker. It could be tie wrapped behind the black cover in the middle motor box. Remove those four screws and look there if you don't see it where the plastic divider stops in the driverside locker.

Aqua

Razzman
06-29-2008, 02:57 PM
Awesome guys, i'm all over it!

tazz3069
06-29-2008, 03:12 PM
Let us know if you found it.
Tazz

Razzman
06-29-2008, 03:55 PM
OK so what exactly am i looking for? Bare wires? A connector? I have one loom only back there and it's definately not big enough for a connector to hide. I couldn't remove the last back panel, a screw holds it at the top but nothing visible at the bottom yet it doesn't come out.

tazz3069
06-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Razzman--
The wires have to be there. Try to remove that plastic board to really get to the wires. I can not see SC using different wiring for different boats. On mine, I have two looms. In the mix of all the wires, I have a white plastic connector. Try to remove the divider and cut the zip ties that hold all the looms up. Hope this helps.
Tazz

cab13367
06-29-2008, 06:50 PM
OK so what exactly am i looking for? Bare wires? A connector? I have one loom only back there and it's definately not big enough for a connector to hide. I couldn't remove the last back panel, a screw holds it at the top but nothing visible at the bottom yet it doesn't come out.

Razzman,

Regarding that last back panel - on the bottom, look behind it - there is a bracket with two screws holding it down but you don't have to remove it. Just remove the top screw and then pull the panel straight up. At least this is how it is on my 2006 LSV.

I installed the transom remote but I was not aware that there was a pre-installed connector back there somewhere. So I bought sprinkler control wire at Home Depot - 4 color coded wires of the correct guage that was all inside a single sheath so it looks like one large wire -and ran it all the way to the remote by the dash and spliced the wires in.

Good luck.

Al

04OUTBACK
06-29-2008, 08:59 PM
Interesting..
I bought an extra remote from cab and yet to install.. interesting to hear that there may be a connection back there? I look forward to hearing the results.. I just parked mine at storage an hour ago or I would go look myself! I am still hung up fearing the drill for the mount!

if there is not a connection back there, here is the wire that splits off from factory connection.. I ordered one myself.. hope I don't need it!
http://shopmarineelectronics.com/marine_remotes/170_00018_20.htm

Razzman
06-30-2008, 10:25 AM
Well after going all over the stern of the boat i came to the conclusion SC didn't include the additional wiring for remote. I took apart the dividers and nothing! In fact the loom has but two wires in it, yellow and black.

So i removed the front remote, pulled the pins from the connector and soldered an additional 24ga color coded wire to each pin, reinstalled them in the connector and reinstalled the front remote. I ran the wire to the rear, drilled for the remote and soldered the wire to the remote leads. I surrounded each hole with clear silicon and installed the remote and then secured the wire to the loom. Works like a charm. For those doing the same i used 4-wire security cable from home depot.

Thanks for all the help guys, i guess SC just got lazy when mine was built! :)

On a side note, the wife wouldn't come look until the "hole" was covered with the remote as she was freaking when i was drilling the holes!

Jon
06-30-2008, 10:47 AM
SC didn't get lazy. This stereo remote wiring harness is not installed on all boats. It is not just a plug and play option. You must purchase the wiring harness that runs from under the dash back to the transom.

tazz3069
06-30-2008, 01:21 PM
gLAD TO HEAR THAT YOU GOT IT WORKING. bY THE WAY, WHAT LAKE ARE YOU GOING TOO. mY FAMILY AND I ARE GOING TO LAKE DON PEDRO FROM JULY 20 TO THE 25. I DO NOT KNOW HOW FAR THAT IS FOR YOU.
TAZZ

cab13367
06-30-2008, 03:35 PM
Razz,

Glad it all worked out. I think the 4 wire security cable is what I used as well, not sprinkler control cable.

04outback,

Install that remote already! I posted a pic below to help motivate you. I put mine on the port side instead of the starboard side like most people since my walk thru transom is on the starboard side and that's where the traffic is getting in and out of my boat.

And for those of you that must have that last finishing touch for the remote, see the link below for a billet aluminum bezel made specifically for the (new style) oval Kenwood remote. And it's available in 28 different colors!

Al

Link to bezel: http://www.danamarineproducts.com/ProductDetails.cfm?group_id=2&catid=236&productid=4735&CFID=423108&CFTOKEN=94557990

http://www.danamarineproducts.com/Images/ProductDetailsImages/productimage1_4735.gif http://www.danamarineproducts.com/Images/ProductDetailsImages/productimage2_4735.gif

Remote location on my LSV (without the bezel):
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/IMG_0945.jpg

04OUTBACK
06-30-2008, 11:48 PM
Cab,
Travel keeps gettin in the way... 3rd week in a row .. plus storing boat offsite makes it difficult.. i bought a new hole saw the other day and made a template with wood to start.... weekends are for riding not tooling around... maybe I'll get to it soon.... Good call on the wire... I 'll look into that! ALthough, I did get excited to think there was a wiring loom back there...

BW

04OUTBACK
07-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Finally pulled the trigger on the hole saw and installed my transom remote.
Thanks to Cab13367 for selling me his extra remote.
Drilling was no prob at all! actually wiring was more of a pain.. or at least connecting to the factory remote plug anyway.. I bought security wire from Home Depot and it made it easy...red/red, black/black, green/blue, white/yellow.. and all in one bundle...

Here is a photo of my work..

cab13367
07-26-2008, 08:31 PM
Finally pulled the trigger on the hole saw and installed my transom remote.
Thanks to Cab13367 for selling me his extra remote.
Drilling was no prob at all! actually wiring was more of a pain.. or at least connecting to the factory remote plug anyway.. I bought security wire from Home Depot and it made it easy...red/red, black/black, green/blue, white/yellow.. and all in one bundle...

Here is a photo of my work..

Brad,

Looks great! Glad you finally got the time to install it. Yeah, the security cable is the ticket, and a lot cheaper that the extension wire they try to sell you.

Al

kennedy
05-11-2010, 10:54 PM
That KENWOOD remote id JUNK!!!!!

That is y i went to the CLARION remote!