PDA

View Full Version : Folding Trampoline Bimini Top

deafgoose
06-28-2008, 11:43 AM
This is a picture of pickle311's boat. I love the custom bimini top that he got from sewlong. I tried to call them and their line is disconnected. I sent an email and no reply so I assume they are out of business. :(

Is there anyone else that makes a bimini like this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v168/pickle311/IMG_2951.jpg

http://www.sewlong.com/ftt.htm

http://www.sewlong.com/Navy_FTTC.jpg
http://www.sewlong.com/P1010442.JPG

deafgoose
06-29-2008, 06:40 PM
Does everyone simply get the moomba bimini?

I much prefer a clamp on so that no drilling is required.

04OUTBACK
06-29-2008, 09:00 PM
I have factory bimini myself, but had looked into the sewlong FTT for my previous boat.. and looked into the model from www.towerbiminis.com I think it is the style you are looking for as well..

BW

deafgoose
06-29-2008, 11:11 PM
I have factory bimini myself, but had looked into the sewlong FTT for my previous boat.. and looked into the model from www.towerbiminis.com I think it is the style you are looking for as well..

BW

Not quite the same as the sewlong but at least it's a bolt on.

I googled "bimini tower" and they were #1

I sent them an email a few days back asking how long it would take to build a black one that fits my tower. Fingers crossed they have one in stock cause I am already pretty burnt from the sun already. lol

Tyger
06-30-2008, 01:42 AM
Suck! I just ordered a bimini top from SC. This one looks sweet with no straps or mounting bars and would work with my tower speakers very nicely. Too bad I didn't find out about it sooner.

I called the fax number listed on the sewlong.com order page to see if it still worked. Apparently it rings to this guy's house and the fax doesn't pick up by default. It's sewlong, but he was rightly miffed that I called late at night.

Let us know how it works out with the bimini top. There's always the next boat to buy stuff. :D

deafgoose
06-30-2008, 02:06 AM
Suck! I just ordered a bimini top from SC. This one looks sweet with no straps or mounting bars and would work with my tower speakers very nicely. Too bad I didn't find out about it sooner.

I called the fax number listed on the sewlong.com order page to see if it still worked. Apparently it rings to this guy's house and the fax doesn't pick up by default. It's sewlong, but he was rightly miffed that I called late at night.

Let us know how it works out with the bimini top. There's always the next boat to buy stuff. :D

Wow!

So does that mean they are still in business?

Tyger
07-03-2008, 01:05 AM
He said he still does bimini's. Look for the fax number on their webpage and call (during normal business hours in Mountain time zone :D).

deafgoose
07-03-2008, 01:09 AM
He said he still does bimini's. Look for the fax number on their webpage and call (during normal business hours in Mountain time zone :D).

I called the fax number and the guy was caught off guard. He gave me the new phone# to contact Sewlong and I was able to place an order!

They moved to a new location and the webmaster has not updated the website yet.

GeauxTigers
07-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Deaf:
They make a great product. I just got mine about 3 months ago and I am very pleased with it. The actual name of the company is Custom Covers. They are on Main st in Salt Lake City. Great service, great product.

deafgoose
07-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Deaf:
They make a great product. I just got mine about 3 months ago and I am very pleased with it. The actual name of the company is Custom Covers. They are on Main st in Salt Lake City. Great service, great product.

How long did it take to get after placing an order?

GeauxTigers
07-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Took him about 3 days with my boat there. I dropped it off and he had me ready for my April trip to Havasu. I would just call him up if I were you. I got the top that goes over the tower so we could have plenty of head room and shade.

kaneboats
07-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Geaux-- Can you post a good pic of your setup? I did the over-top thing too, but in a homemade way using the pre-tower top that I recycled after I added my tower. I might upgrade before too long so I'd love to see it up on top. I got used to walking under in my old boat and I'm not going back to ducking.

GeauxTigers
07-08-2008, 09:03 AM
Geaux-- Can you post a good pic of your setup? I did the over-top thing too, but in a homemade way using the pre-tower top that I recycled after I added my tower. I might upgrade before too long so I'd love to see it up on top. I got used to walking under in my old boat and I'm not going back to ducking.

deaf:
Let's see if this works.

kaneboats
07-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Thanks! That's a lot cleaner look than I ended up with.

SkiKY
07-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Kane,

Do you have any larger pics of your over-the top refit? I want to reuse a before-tower bimini and thought my only option would be to cut it down to fit inside the tower. Hadn't really considered going over the top.

kaneboats
07-09-2008, 09:21 AM
This is the only one I have. I just removed the center bow of the top frame and use a strap to tie it to the tower (I cut a slit in the center of the middle sleeve so the strap can come out and wrap once at the midpoint of the tower-- it also attaches on the left and right ends). I bungeed the whole top in place to hold it and marked the legs of the front and rear bows to cut them down to the right lengths so they would attach just above the racks and the center of the top would sit on the tower. I removed and reattached the caps to the cut ends so I could attach the ends to the tower. I haven't bought the real tower clamps yet so I am using two homemade metal straps at present.

I don't love the look. I do like being able to walk under it without ducking though. The price was great. Oh yeah, one more thing. I had my wife sew extensions on each of the straps and I just hooked them in the old rings. No need to drill extra holes in the boat.

When I fold my tower down I run the straps from the top through the rear seat handholds and wrap the top with them for trailering. Holds it all tight together and down.

kaneboats
07-09-2008, 09:24 AM
Forgot to mention that I couldn't really cut mine down to fit underneath because my aftermarket tower narrows down so much at the top. I would have had to cut a foot out of the center and it wouldn't have made any shade. I threw it up on top and started experimenting. At least it's big enough to make shade. That FL sun can be intense.

GeauxTigers
07-09-2008, 10:26 AM
Kane:
Beautiful family pic!

kaneboats
07-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Only cuz I'm not in it.

Thanks! I was in the water and thought they looked pretty good just hanging out so I had Donna pass me the camera. I like the shot but not as much as the subject- you know- the Moomba.

KarMobLSV06
07-14-2008, 04:17 PM
sewlong.com site is down. Anyone have their number? How much for an under the tower model? Any pics of under the tower on an 06 LSV or newer both out and folded up? Will it work with factory tower speaker/light bar combo?

My dealer ordered a SC forward bimini to replace my broken 06 factory tower bimini. I may return it if price is close and get better coverage with the sewlong bimini.

Thanks!

pickle311
07-14-2008, 04:26 PM
do yourself a favor and get the Z5 Cargo Bimini, the swelong one is nice but nothing touches the Z5. Trust me, I've had both.

sewlong.com site is down. Anyone have their number? How much for an under the tower model? Any pics of under the tower on an 06 LSV or newer both out and folded up? Will it work with factory tower speaker/light bar combo?

My dealer ordered a SC forward bimini to replace my broken 06 factory tower bimini. I may return it if price is close and get better coverage with the sewlong bimini.

Thanks!

KarMobLSV06
07-14-2008, 04:51 PM
How does the Z- Cargo fold up? Do you always have it up? My concern is wanting to get some sun early and late in the season and how hard it is to take down the Z Cargo.

Thanks for your help!

pickle311
07-14-2008, 08:51 PM
it doesn't fold up, but it is very easy to take of. I take mine off and keep it in my garage so it doesn't get dirty in storage. It's a 1 person job, it's as easy as releasing 4 quick release pins. It's much more sturdy, adds storage room, and is quite a bit larger than any of the other biminis I have seen. The only downside I have seen is that it does cost more.