PDA

View Full Version : oil changing pump?

c.rix
06-26-2008, 12:20 AM
Is it a must to have a pump for doing oil changes? If so what is a decent one for a reasonable price. I am going to change my oil this weekend Its my first time on my outback v, and some of my buddys said to just let it all drain out when hot and not worry about it.

JesseC
06-26-2008, 12:53 PM
I use the down the dipstick method on hot oil using a 3 gallon pump that operates like a bicycle pump. It is not the fastest option, but was clean and cheap. Bought it at a car parts store for $60. Came with three different size tubes. Mid size for engin oil and trans and the smallest one for the v-drive. Looks like a white cylinder about 2 feet tall with a bicycle pump type handle sticking out of the top.

04OUTBACK
06-26-2008, 01:55 PM
I bought a 12v pump at Bass pro for about $25. Only used for trans fluid change so far, but it would only work for oil in down dipstick method.
With the drain line, you can run it out the back and drain...no pump needed. You may need to play with the drain line a little to re run so you can get it out the drain plug hole in the back... I bought some clear hose and pushed it onto the hose fitting to extend it out the back better.. make sure oil/engine is at operating temp so it drains.
also, if you have not seen the posts on here, get you a ziploc or two.. use a wrench to loosen the filter then wrap a ziploc around it before unscrewing the filter.. that way it won't drip on your pretty new boat!

c.rix
06-26-2008, 06:33 PM
I bought a 12v pump at Bass pro for about $25. Only used for trans fluid change so far, but it would only work for oil in down dipstick method.
With the drain line, you can run it out the back and drain...no pump needed. You may need to play with the drain line a little to re run so you can get it out the drain plug hole in the back... I bought some clear hose and pushed it onto the hose fitting to extend it out the back better.. make sure oil/engine is at operating temp so it drains.
also, if you have not seen the posts on here, get you a ziploc or two.. use a wrench to loosen the filter then wrap a ziploc around it before unscrewing the filter.. that way it won't drip on your pretty new boat!

Yup I was planning on running it in the lake for 15-20 minutes then change the oil at the launch I am going to see what I can find for a bicycle style pump like jesse said

jkendall79
06-26-2008, 10:58 PM
I just picked up a manual pump like the one Jesse is talking about at Westmarine for 50 bucks. Works good but kinda slow. I didn't think of the ziploc idea, but I used a tupperware bowl underneath the filter and it worked out well.