PDA

View Full Version : Flying Seat Cushions while trailering?

Moomba Dad
06-25-2008, 07:04 PM
So I'm towing my boat from the dealer to my house from purchasing it. I look in my mirror as I'm pulling off of the freeway and see one of my seat cushions flying around in my boat...the rounded corner one. I almost crap since my boat hasn't even made it to the water yet and I'm wondering if I had lost any of my cushions already. Turns out I didn't, but it did give me a minor coronary.

Had anybody else had this problem? Do you normally remove the non-hinged cushions from the boat when trailering?

Moomba Dad

cab13367
06-25-2008, 07:06 PM
Moomba Dad,

You will find many threads on this topic. I take out the small seat cushion directly behind the driver's seat and stow it in the rear storage compartment when towing as a precaution based on what I've read on this board. Non of the other ones have ever moved and I often tow at 60 mph.

Al

Moomba Dad
06-25-2008, 07:09 PM
Moomba Dad,

You will find many threads on this topic. I take out the small seat cushion directly behind the driver's seat and stow it in the rear storage compartment when towing as a precaution based on what I've read on this board. Non of the other ones have ever moved and I often tow at 60 mph.

Al

"Behind the driver's seat"? Mine was the corner one next to it. I think I'll take them all our when transporting. I was driving between 65 & 70 mph.

Moomba Dad

cab13367
06-25-2008, 07:53 PM
Moomba Dad,

What boat do you have? Mine is a 2006 LSV and the cushions in the corners are snug on my boat.

Al

Moomba Dad
06-25-2008, 08:23 PM
Moomba Dad,

What boat do you have? Mine is a 2006 LSV and the cushions in the corners are snug on my boat.

Al

2004 LSV and my cushions are very snug also...until I'm driving down the freeway when they get the urge to fly. :0

Moomba Dad

smokedog2
06-25-2008, 09:58 PM
When I first got mine new the cushion over what passes for a coolerlifted up and let the registration fly out. Upon reaching the house I found the cushion but no registration. Believe it or not, Backtracking I did indeed find the registration.

I find if the cushions are solid in place I am fine but if they are not put away they will move about the cabin.

jester
06-25-2008, 10:28 PM
I have not lost a cushion but I have lost my tower mirror. I find it a good idea to tow with the cover on. Less chance of something trying to escape on me. It also makes me feel safer when I pull into the store and have my wakeboards lying inside the boat.

Buttafewcoe
06-26-2008, 08:38 AM
The speed limit, in many states, when towing is 55mph. Don't know bout your state, but in my state ( the state of confusion ), it's 55.
Hope this helps
B

moombadaze
06-26-2008, 08:56 AM
ive looked in my rear view mirror and saw my rear seat "floating" about a foot in the air on more than one ocasion. that's the seat over the v drive cover. -boat is 03 lsv, could have something to do with towing at 75mph?

kaneboats
06-26-2008, 11:53 AM
I tow at around 75 too. Suburban only turns about 2100 rpm at that speed. Great on the interstate but way too fast for a state highway.

moombadaze
06-26-2008, 12:25 PM
bad thing about 75 is the dam gas gauge goes down to fast-hemi with big tires towing the boat is really bad for mpg-

K_E_N
06-26-2008, 02:13 PM
'04 LSV
As Moombadaze stated, I too have seen my v-drive seat floating around in the air before, but that's at about 70-75mph. I've found that as long as I keep it below 65mph, all is good. I'm kinda suprised that nobody has mentioned the older style bow filler cushion. Mine would easily get airborn until I fastened it permanently to the boat. I'm not aware of Louisiana having any speeding laws that pertain directly to towing. However, the road conditions in Louisiana are often self limiting. If you're dumb enough to tow your boat on some of our roads at speeds even approaching the speed limit, you are entitled to have an accident. I live near a state highway with speed limit of 55mph. I don't dare exceed about 40-45 on it due to its poor condition and nonexistent shoulders.

kaneboats
06-26-2008, 03:42 PM
Well, that's kind of what I was getting at. If you are on a smooth open interstate you can open up a bit. Those state highways or even federal ones that look like interstate aren't usually built to the same specs. You can get surprised. Have to drive to the conditions. )And, for Pete's sake, if it starts raining, slam on your brakes and stop in the middle of the passing lane!)

BensonWdby
06-26-2008, 04:32 PM
Towing with cover on - while nice for security and general cleanliness, is not recommended due to the potential for burning the gel-coat.

Zihuatanejo
06-26-2008, 05:46 PM
I once left the back removable seat in the sundeck position on my outback while trailering. It flew and got banged up, it didn't break in half though.

SEARK
06-26-2008, 10:50 PM
Have to drive to the conditions. )And, for Pete's sake, if it starts raining, slam on your brakes and stop in the middle of the passing lane!)

Is this a major problem in FL?

dtlaine
06-26-2008, 11:52 PM
Unfortunately so. It rains almost every day, and it's like a learning experience to some every time. The interstates in FL also are conveniently equipped with three lanes. One for going 55, one for going 56, and another for going 57. It makes the drive from Tampa to Orlando so much fun.

Limishowman3
06-27-2008, 01:14 AM
Yah I had my outback seat fly off too. It sure is fun directing traffic with 18-wheelers about to run over your seat. Seat just got some scratches on one corner, so it wasnt too bad. NO tears and seat is still solid, its built moomba tough.

jmvotto
06-27-2008, 06:42 AM
I always drive with cover on the boat, only couple times a year, sits in hoist all summer long.