PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my dad slaloming; after a 10 year hiatus...

ian ashton
06-25-2008, 11:33 AM
Since we've bought the Outback my dad has been gradually getting back into the swing of things. He is still riding on his old (and crusty?) ski that is now too small for him, and definately in need of an upgrade.

https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=483&stc=1&d=1214407709
^^Notice the orange Mobuis in the backgroung, hehe

https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=484&stc=1&d=1214407722

https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=485&stc=1&d=1214407743

https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=486&stc=1&d=1214407756

Pics shot with a Nikon D70, still trying to learn how to shoot from the boat, lol.

zegm
06-25-2008, 10:35 PM
Ian,

Up until the mid 90's EP's were the ski to have. My wife and I still have one each, and after purchasing the new radar senate (because I needed a bigger ski too) I can say that the EP's we have might just turn as good or better as my new Radar. It's just a little too short for me now! But my wife can fly through the course on hers and doesn't want a new ski, even after she tried mine. Her only comment was the boots sure feel better know.

deerfield
06-25-2008, 10:59 PM
Ian - Nice to see your dad skiing. I gotta chuckle on that last pic with his cheeks puffin'. I know how he feels! - Deerfield

kaneboats
06-26-2008, 12:10 PM
Shoot, I get puffin' after about 30 sec. anymore. I remember the EP's from the mid-80's -- great skis -- for back when I was a skinny guy.

SkiBoy
06-27-2008, 08:59 AM
Is that an EP comp X-2? I skied on that one for 10 years! Great ski. The Comp 1 was a good ski as well. Brings back the memories. They were the industry leader for a long time.

Wayne Grimditch was the man!

I had to dig up some pics of my Comp X-2.

First one is from '78. Poor form,I know! But I did not fall.

Second is from McCormick's Ski School in 1980. Late on the buoy at 22 off. I was only 18,
and had zero slalom course experience. I went from top dog on my lake to the bottom rung at McCormick's. Lucky Lowe was there and so was Ricky McCormick. I also saw Bob LaPoint break the slalom record with a run of 3 @ 39 1/2 before I even started my 5 weeks of skiing.
Did I feel small next to him. ha

Last pic is of the EP Stilleto I used after the Comp X-2. A very good ski at the time.

Sled491
06-27-2008, 10:33 PM
Skiboy, I wouldn't worry too much about the form, it's the shorts I'd worry about LOL!

zegm
06-27-2008, 11:08 PM
My wife has the EP Stiletto now that she bought in 1996 and she swears by it!

carsondoc
07-18-2008, 04:37 PM
My wife has the EP Stiletto now that she bought in 1996 and she swears by it!

Zegm, I was looking at the Radar Senate recently. What is your read on that ski? My ski partner recently bought the top end Radar (forget the letters/name) and it's pretty squirly. I was thinking that the Radar would be about right for me. I'm just trying to get my first complete pass at 30mpg. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

zegm
07-18-2008, 09:29 PM
I really like the Radar Senate, I used to not like anything that said O'brien on it because I felt like they were squirelly, but to be honest this is from my impression of trying them in the 80's. The EP's always felt like they were on rails so I wasn't so sure what to expect and decided EP is gone I have to find a new ski so with that said. The Senate feels really good and planted! I goes where I want it to go!!! I put HO boots on it and wow they feel good too!

BLKOUTLS
07-19-2008, 10:27 AM
Ian looks like your makeing your Dad ski on a wakeboard rope. Question for you or any photogs on the D70 how do you like it?. My wife wants a DSLR ,she is tired of the crappy pics from 350 dollar casio and used to shoot with a slr and wants better pics.

helix_rider
07-19-2008, 12:43 PM
BLKOUTLS, for what it's worth WRT dSLRs, you can't go wrong with any of the Nikons/Canons these days, just depends on what you want to spend and what features you want. If I was pinching pennies and wanted a new dSLR, I would get the Canon Rebel (either XTi or Xsi). Just be warned, the camera is only the beginning in terms of purchases, once you get and realize the kit lens isn't cutting it...well, lets just say you can easily sink a couple grand in a few lenses without blinking an eye.

BLKOUTLS
07-19-2008, 01:33 PM
helix and why should it be different from boating, the Moomba is just a drop in the bucket to all the associated toys for it. thanks for the info

Sled491
07-19-2008, 02:10 PM
Blkoutls , Amen to that,,THe Nikon D40 is a good package, for aroud 7 hun you can get body and 2 lenses

deerfield
07-19-2008, 09:15 PM
BLKOUTLS - In November of 2004 we bought a Nikon D70 body and: an AF 70-300 mm zoom lense, AF-S DX ED 18-70 zoom lense, 2X DG teleconverter, two batteries, and two 512 mb storage cards. I think we have taken about 15,000 images. It's easy and fast to download direct from the camera to our iMac G5 using the iPhoto software. My favorite of the two lenses is the 18-70 mm. It produces a better image in low light than does the 70-300 mm lense. I took a class to better understand the camera and have studied some of the 200+ page owner's manual. Some of this is way over my head so I pretty much stick to the auto functions offered by the camera. I gotta hear or do stuff a lot of times for it to make sense and sink in. We really like this camera. Takes great pictures and never had a problem with it. I don't know iof

(keyboard failure)

I don't know the answer to Mrs. Z's question about Nikon slr lenses working on a digital slr body. That would be great of they did. No need to replace what you already own. Just upgrade to the convenience of a digital body. - Deerfield

BLKOUTLS
07-19-2008, 10:12 PM
sled , deerfield thanks for the info I quess its break out another thousand for a camera or close to it. I have seen water and action pics with the DSLRs and there really is no comparison and the better half is always a great sport when it comes to buying all the boat,watertoys and assorted goodies. Time to save the toy fund for her.

jmvotto
07-21-2008, 08:37 PM
blkoutls,

WE love our Nikon d50 after reading all the reviews, this is the one that seems to fare better in the magazines. will cost abot 799.00 with one lense, some combo packs available, just make sure you buy with the nikon usa warranty, not the japanese one. The addditional lenses are expensive we did add one 70-200mm

Circut city and best buy as well

J&r music world has great pricing www.jr.com

zegm
07-22-2008, 12:01 AM
OK I spent some time on the Nikon site and found this information for anyone who has an older non-Digital SLR and would like to use their old lenses with a Digital SLR

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin/nikonusa.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=14439&p_created=1196047693&p_sid=3un6rm9j&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfc m93X2NudD0xMjc4LDEyNzgmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B 2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX 25sJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1

If you don't want to visit this link, it basically says the consumer cameras the D80/70/60/50/40 series can use some but not all of the old lenses, but you will have light meter issues. The higher end Nikons D300/200/D3/D2/D1 can use most of the old lenses and have light meters. But you are looking at 1000 dollar differences between the 2 groups. So if you don't have 1000 dollars of lenses it is not worth the effort and you should just start over with New DSLR lenses. :(

deerfield
07-22-2008, 10:34 AM
zegm - This is good information. I searched the Nikon web site over the weekend to no avail. Thanks for the extra effort. - Deerfield