PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Outback

FearTheElf
06-25-2008, 09:11 AM
Hi all,

I have been reading posts on this board for a few weeks, ever since I ordered a 2008 Outback. This forum is great, I have found many good tips and suggestions. The boat is scheduled to be finished at the factory on Monday, 6/30, and I can't contain myself any longer!

I went with color pattern E (black main panel, regal red accent, platinum base), appearance package (black), oval graphic, tower, tower mirror, wake plate, stereo package E, bow cushion, jump seat, cockpit & tonneau cover, depth gauge, heater and flush kit.

I noticed in a few posts that folks were able to get pictures of their boat from Skiers Choice while it was at the factory. Any idea how I could inquire about this? If any of the Mods are able to help, my DC order # is 10053144.

Looking forward to delivery, getting it home and having a beer in it in the garage, and then cruising around the lake for the break-in! :D

ian ashton
06-25-2008, 12:33 PM
All I did was called the factory and asked, very easy. The phone number is 1-800-320-2779. When you call just tell them that your boat is currently being built, and you wanted to check the status and see if you could possibly get a few pictures. They will transfer you to a customer service or sales person and make it happen.

I know the feeling about waiting for your boat to be built, it was the longest 2 1/2 months of my life! Believe me, when you get your boat you'll be glad you waited for exactly what you wanted. We did the exact same thing, and I couldn't be happier. Hell, our boat is exactly 1 month old and already has 25+ hours!

It sounds like you got yours pretty loaded up, be sure to post pics!

deerfield
06-25-2008, 11:12 PM
Elf - Does it look something like this? My '07 Outback. Black hull, red accent, and platinum deck (hidden under cover). Sorry that I don't have other pics. Have discovered that I can't upload most of my pictures because of the resolution. Anyway, it's a great boat. You made a wise choice. Congratulations! - Deerfield

FearTheElf
06-26-2008, 07:26 AM
That's the color combo, thanks Deerfield! I would love to see any additional pictures you have of your boat. If you can't post them, I'll send you a PM with my email.

Ian, thanks for the factory number. I'll give them a ring today. Oh and don't worry, I'll be competing with you for quantity of pictures of the new boat! :D

deafgoose
06-26-2008, 11:54 AM
I wish I went with that same combo but was limited to what my dealer had in stock. He also had a Blue/Yellow/White in stock. Yikes!

deerfield
06-26-2008, 10:26 PM
Elf - Pic of our '07 Outback. Only one of the boat uncovered that will load on the BB. Black, red, and platinum. Same thing you ordered - only yours will be NEW! - Deerfield

deafgoose
06-26-2008, 11:16 PM
Absolutely stunning! :D

FearTheElf
06-27-2008, 07:28 AM
Thanks Deerfield for the additional picture. I am scheduled to pick mine up next Thursday, so I will be staring at your boat for the next six days!

deerfield
06-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Elf - You are welcome. - Deerfield

Elf and Goose - Here's the story behind the colors. We went to the Janaury 2007 boat show and ordered our Outback with several options. Among the things we considered was the choice of colors. Decided to pay the extra for the upgraded color pattern. Signed the papers and made the down payment. Boat arrives and the dealer calls us to pick it up. We see it for the first time and I'm thinking, "This is not what we ordered." I was right. The order form we signed called for red hull, black accent, and platinum deck (just like Goose's boat). The dealer made a mistake when it placed the order with the factory, reversing the pattern and making the hull black and accent red as you see in the picture. I expressed my dissapointment to the manager. Hard to imagine his having made this mistake on such a fundamental part of the order. Like paying for a blue car and the dealer delivering in orange. On the other hand, we really liked what we saw sitting on the trailer there on the shop floor. I mean, we really liked it. Had to admit the dealer's mistake was to our benefit. Would not want anyone's color order messed up, but in this case everyone was able to smile. - Deerfield

FearTheElf
06-27-2008, 04:24 PM
I went back and forth on accent vs. base as well. I spent countless hours messing around with the colorizier. My wife grew tired of me following her around with the laptop and aksing: "What about this one?... What about this one?" Finally she said: "Will you just order the $#% thing already?!?!?!" I guess my obnoxious pestering paid off. :p

FearTheElf
07-16-2008, 09:53 PM
We picked up the Outback a couple of weeks ago and everything was smooth. Lakota Watersports in Cincinnati did a fantastic job with the entire process. Unfortunately the weekend weather here in northern Ohio has been less than cooperative ever since I picked it up! In spite of that, I have managed to get 9.5 hours on it. I will hopefully be skiing behind it for the first time on Saturday.

I finally got around to uploading some pictures. Enjoy...

First sight of it at the dealer (while it was pouring rain):

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee216/337GTIVW/Moomba/080703_Moomba02.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee216/337GTIVW/Moomba/080703_Moomba03.jpg

Covered up, hitched up and ready for the drive home (in the pouring rain):

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee216/337GTIVW/Moomba/080703_Moomba04.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee216/337GTIVW/Moomba/080703_Moomba05.jpg

FearTheElf
07-16-2008, 09:55 PM
From above:

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee216/337GTIVW/Moomba/080706_Moomba20.jpg

at home in the drive, finally a nice day on the weekend:

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee216/337GTIVW/Moomba/080712_Moomba25.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee216/337GTIVW/Moomba/080712_Moomba26.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee216/337GTIVW/Moomba/080712_Moomba29.jpg

FearTheElf
07-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Finally on the water for the first time - it floats! it runs! I smile!

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee216/337GTIVW/Moomba/080704_Moomba07.jpg

hour #6 - almost ready for skiing, and the dogs love it:

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee216/337GTIVW/Moomba/080712_Moomba47.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee216/337GTIVW/Moomba/080712_Moomba49.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee216/337GTIVW/Moomba/080712_Moomba53.jpg

jester
07-16-2008, 10:20 PM
FearTheElf,

Very nice boat. I do like the color. Dont worry about the getting weather. When i ordered my boat it was 80* out but then i picked her up it was snowing. It is always nice to know the boat floats after you take ownership.

04OUTBACK
07-16-2008, 11:21 PM
Beauty!
is that a rear facing seat behind the driver>? new option for the OB? nice!

welcome.
love the dog too.. now my wife wants ours to go with!

ian ashton
07-16-2008, 11:40 PM
Beauty!
is that a rear facing seat behind the driver>? new option for the OB? nice!

I believe that is the "jump seat" option which is also able to fit in the "walk-thru" area.

Very nice Outback, Congrats! My dogs love our Outback too, haha.

04OUTBACK
07-17-2008, 01:08 PM
I see/understand now.. After looking at one of the first pics.. it is stickin up in the front..
Pretty cool!

gcombe74
07-17-2008, 01:54 PM
I love the color combo! looks great!

FearTheElf
07-17-2008, 02:27 PM
Thanks all - I love the color. I find myself standing in the garage staring at it :)

Ian is correct, that is the jump seat. In those first pics it is actually sitting on its back, on top of the bow filler cushion. It is made to fit exactly in the walk thru, next to the observer's seat. So far we have kept it behind the drivers seat, as we have yet to ski. Once we start skiing, putting it next to the observer's seat will give plenty of room for folks to sit if they don't want to be in the bow. This will be especially nice if it is cooler out, as we could cover the bow and close the windshield. The ladies will appreciate the heater as well in that scenario!

deerfield
07-17-2008, 09:08 PM
Elf - Man, nice boat! I had to show Mrs D the jump seat. Said to her, "I gotta have one of those for our boat." She said, "I thought you already had everything." Truth is, she likes it too. So, that's a positive thing. I'll check with Jesse at Lauderdale Lakes Marina to see how much it will set me back. You're gonna like that Outback. Just make sure you take your time on the turn around to pick up a skier or you will take a bath over the bow. Let the rollers slide under you sideways. Controlling at slow speed near a pier or other boat can be tricky. Approach from the starboard side. If you forget and come in from the port side - well, good luck. Be sure to factor in the wind. Very sharp boat. Like the platinum, red, black combination and black trailer. We take the back bench out and leave it on the pier when skiing or tubing to free up foot some floor space. Put it in for wakeboarding. Get some racks for the tower. That's help with the space too. We hang wet life jackets and gloves from the tower to dry. Enjoy! - Deerfield

FearTheElf
07-17-2008, 10:18 PM
Thanks Deerfield for the tips. I figured you'd like the color combo! ;)

I have been practicing manuevering quite a bit. I am getting the hang of the inboard, but it is certainly an adjustment from my old I/O! However, I've been around boats since I was a kid, and my dad baptized me by fire, as they say... When I was 14, I was at the helm of a 30 foot sailboat, docking it UNDER SAIL. I was of course getting step by step instructions, but that taught me at a young age to keep my cool around a dock.

Currently we do not wakeboard, which is why I held off on the wakeboard racks. I am interested in getting a swivel ski rack, something like what Ian added to his pimp-daddy blue baby. :p

The jump seat was a fairly inexpensive factory option. I believe the list price was $295. If you have a good relationship with your dealer, you could probably get one made without breaking the bank.

Sled491
07-21-2008, 10:58 PM
FTE, very nice boat, looks like you took some time to figure out the colorizer! Very nice package!

deafgoose
07-22-2008, 12:24 AM
All those pics dont load for me :(

FearTheElf
07-24-2008, 08:35 AM
Thanks Sled.

Goose, the pics are hosted at Photobucket - perhaps you aren't able to get there... when I am on my company's network I can't get there, as most media sharing sites are blocked at the firewall. That or Photobucket could have been down when you were looking.

As you can tell, I have a personal photographer in Bullet1. I bought a boat, he bought a nice a$$ camera. Who made out on that deal? :p Oh, he's a heck of a skier as well.

A couple of Bullet1's on water shots - to continue making this a pic-pimping thread:

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee216/337GTIVW/Moomba/080706_OnWater1.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee216/337GTIVW/Moomba/080706_OnWater3.jpg

jmvotto
07-24-2008, 09:35 AM
FTE,

Love the color combo, nice boat, What speakers came with the tower? I am a skier as well just learning to wake boark and maybe surf a little. love the avatar

My family's origin is from the rocky river area and now lives in westlake Many many cousins in the cleveland area. My family is in Upsate NY and my wife from central michigan .
Nice to have a browns fan on the board, been a die hard fan since a kid, 30 years , never waivered even when they went to balitmore.

I moved my wake rack down one horizontal bar and now get my slalom ski in the wider slot, Lip boating is great , they have OEM like racks too.

Welcome to the Klan.(Kangaroo Klan) That is

FearTheElf
07-24-2008, 02:04 PM
Thanks JV. Glad I have some football support around here, and that someone understands my user name. :)

The tower speakers are Roswell, with Kicker components in them. These are the factory tower speakers that came with Audio Package E. I haven't fiddled with the audio settings enough to say whether I like them or not. Currently there is a noticeable interference in the audio system with the engine running, which will hopefully be corrected by the dealer this Saturday, during my first service.

deerfield
02-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Elf - I notice in one of your album pictures that you have the filler cushions to create a playpen in the bow of your '08 Outback. How did this work out for you last season? Is it an option you would do again? - Deerfield

yearround
02-18-2009, 07:59 PM
Elf - I notice in one of your album pictures that you have the filler cushions to create a playpen in the bow of your '08 Outback. How did this work out for you last season? Is it an option you would do again? - Deerfield

i know you are asking elf this, but we have the bow filler cushion. when we are out for an evening, then the kids don't want it. when we go out for several days, they want it. it is a relatively cheap option that if asked if i would do it again, yes i would, i would even recommended it.

i can look for a pic if you like

deerfield
02-18-2009, 08:40 PM
i know you are asking elf this, but we have the bow filler cushion. when we are out for an evening, then the kids don't want it. when we go out for several days, they want it. it is a relatively cheap option that if asked if i would do it again, yes i would, i would even recommended it.

i can look for a pic if you like

Yearround - I appreciate the offer of a picture. No need to go through the trouble. Thanks for that offer and also thanks for the feedback on the bow filler option. That is helpful information. Interesting that your kids want it in on extended trips. Guess that makes sense. My kids are older (boys 15, 20, and 22) and on the lake for no more than 4 - 5 hours at a time. My guess is that for our purposes the more available floor/open space for us the better. - Deerfield

zabooda
02-18-2009, 09:41 PM
Welcome aboard Elf. It's good to get another skier on the board as we lack the numbers compared to the wake boarders and surfers but we do have some good discussions.

FearTheElf
02-19-2009, 10:05 AM

We love that filler cushion, never take it out. If I need to walk up there to dock or something, I just walk on the cushion. For us the bow is for lounging, not usually used for seating while underway. So the extra room for legs and elbows is most welcome. My wife spends most of her time perched up there with a book. I can't imagine not having the filler cushion in there. It was a fairly cheap option from the factory, so if you are interested in one, I'm sure your dealer could order you one with your interior color for not much $.

On a side note... I'm looking out the window at a fresh coating of snow... I can't decide if I'm glad or not that you reminded me of boating weather. ;)

yearround
02-19-2009, 11:19 AM
kids are older (boys 15, 20, and 22) and on the lake for no more than 4 - 5 hours at a time. My guess is that for our purposes the more available floor/open space for us the better. - Deerfield

our kids are 14, 12, 10, 4. 3 girls 1 boy. when we are active riding for the evening and the kids usually have a friend, then we like the floor space. when longer, then they like the lounge area, like elf, but then there are fewer people

elf, sorry to hear about the snow, we are planning to go out for a ride saturday, most of the water is soft now, i will take a ride for you.

kaneboats
02-19-2009, 01:28 PM
You really need to look us up when you visit FL. Our kids are 14, 10, 8, 8, 5, 3. We could have a softball game without even inviting anybody else.

jmvotto
02-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Deerfeild, we ordered ours after the boat and it came in matching perfect and we hardly ever take it out. Under it is a great place to store towels from blowing out of the boat. It cost about 225 from the dealer installed.

There are a couple of older threads on here with pics.

we got 3 inches of the white stuff yesterday!!!!

Sled491
02-21-2009, 09:27 PM
My wife just sent me an email. 4"'s on the ground and a couple more coming. But from where I'm sitting the VIS is about 100ft with water temp around 80. Current is moderate and the fish are active. Diving in the Carabean, the winter month savior! :)

Hammer
02-24-2009, 09:51 PM
Hey Elf nice boat your just as giddy as all of us when we got our boats , but im still giddy cause every year your going to want to do something to her. Im ADDICTED !!!!!