PDA

View Full Version : New To Moomba...Preventative Maintenance Advice?

Moomba Dad
06-25-2008, 08:04 AM
Hi,

I just picked up my first Moomba...an '04 Mobius LSV w/ 112 hours on it. I'll be taking it for it's maiden voyage this weekend.

What advice would you give a Moombie Newby as far as preventative maintenance, things I should check, watch out for, keep an eye on, etc. I'm fairly handy and not afraid to get me hands dirty so I would appreciate anything you all could help me with.

Thanks in advance.

Moomb Dad

P.S.-Great Board!

seanpatsdad
06-25-2008, 03:29 PM
I have the same boat.If you get any water in the bilge from anything,be sure to pull the plug and sit on a hill to get it all out.Your steering cable will appreciate it.That is the only thing that has gone wrong with mine in 4 years.
John

Moomba Dad
06-25-2008, 05:22 PM
I have the same boat.If you get any water in the bilge from anything,be sure to pull the plug and sit on a hill to get it all out.Your steering cable will appreciate it.That is the only thing that has gone wrong with mine in 4 years.
John

What does it do to the steering cable...cause it to rust up or something?

Moomba Dad

Moomba Dad
06-25-2008, 05:24 PM
Ed G,

What's the sharp stainless steel knife for?

04OUTBACK
06-25-2008, 08:52 PM
Rope+Prop = mess! Goggles or swim mask help too when you have to cut a rope off the prop!

Moomba Dad
06-25-2008, 10:51 PM
Rope+Prop = mess! Goggles or swim mask help too when you have to cut a rope off the prop!

Oooohhhhhh....I see now. Good idea.

Thanx!

Moomba Dad

JesseC
06-26-2008, 03:01 PM
What does it do to the steering cable...cause it to rust up or something?

Moomba Dad

It will cause your boat to go from one finger steering to having to use both hands! If it happens to you, it is wasy to fix/replace. It is a good idea to let the boat sit for a second on the boat ramp with the plug out (if you have that option, some ramps are way too busy). The cable will rust at the end and cause the steering wheel to become very dificult to turn.

mjhackett82
06-26-2008, 06:43 PM
I have an '04 LSV.

-Check/replace the plastic connections that screw into the manifolds. I was having a ton of water in the bilge and discovered all of them had a steady stream of water running out. The threads were melted a little but I replaced them and had hardly any water in the bilge next time out.
-I also have had paint chip off in various places on the engine/vdrive, etc.so I touch up them up with gloss black engine paint while I winterize.

Moomba Dad
06-26-2008, 08:52 PM
I have an '04 LSV.

-Check/replace the plastic connections that screw into the manifolds. I was having a ton of water in the bilge and discovered all of them had a steady stream of water running out. The threads were melted a little but I replaced them and had hardly any water in the bilge next time out.
-I also have had paint chip off in various places on the engine/vdrive, etc.so I touch up them up with gloss black engine paint while I winterize.

Manifolds? Which ones are you talking about?

Thanx.

mjhackett82
06-27-2008, 04:43 PM
Well if my camera was working I'd take a picture, but I'll try to explain. They are black, high on the outside of both sides of the engine, Indmar is stamped in gray lettering, and they look like tilted rectangles? leaning to the back carrying exhaust out under the swim platform. On the front and back ends are smaller rubber hoses attached to these plastic 90 deg fittings carrying water for cooling.

Everything is simpler than it looks just tight working quarters. When in doubt for parts or other questions just check this board or call skidim.com. I have gained all knowledge and confidence for maintaining my boat myself from this forum. Most work I have done is regular maintenance, nothing major.