PDA

View Full Version : Low Point Drain

dlb03moomba
06-24-2008, 10:12 PM
Bought my boat about a month ago. My family and I are loving it, but I have a question about draining the boat after an outing. I understand that the boat will leak a little water from the drive shaft while running, but it seems that Moomba decided not to put a low point drain on the 03 LSV. The drain in the back is way too high unless you are on a steep incline.

I typically end up using the center ballast bag drain bilge pump to get most of the water out of the boat while lowering the front of the boat with the jack. Does everybody else have this problem or am I missing something? My buddy has a Malibu DD and he has a low point drain under the engine. Was there some reason why Moomba decided against a low point drain?

Also, the actual bilge pump is located to the right of the v-drive, if you are looking towards the back of the boat. I was thinking of moving the bilge to the front of the v-drive, seems to be a lower point. Anybody else done this?

David

zegm
06-24-2008, 10:43 PM
DL,

We have the LS which is the same hull but the drain is in the center of the hull right under the engine. Have to be careful when you pull the boat out and remove the drain as the HOT motor is right there!

dlb03moomba
06-26-2008, 10:34 PM
I figured that the DD boats had a drain, but what do the v-drive owners do about water in the boat?

JesseC
06-26-2008, 11:37 PM
I figured that the DD boats had a drain, but what do the v-drive owners do about water in the boat?

Find a steep incline and put it in Park with the drain plug out....

SanMarzano
06-27-2008, 12:14 AM
Find a steep incline and put it in Park with the drain plug out....

x2 plus thats the only way I get my bags to empty

moombadaze
06-27-2008, 07:39 AM
park on the boat ramp for 5 minutes till it all drains out--ONLY IF ITS NOT BEING USED.
have also used a shop vac .

ABUCKOTOMAMBO
06-27-2008, 10:15 AM
I have an Outback V and I too have these same issues. Steep inclines don't always do the trick. Shop Vac works. The idea posted earlier about using your bag empty pump to remove water from the front locker area is an idea i will have to try.

Sled491
06-27-2008, 10:06 PM
DLB, your friends Malibou is like Moombas DD with the center plug, and your V drive is like most V drives.

zegm
06-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Wow with all of the MAJOR issues of not having a center drain I sure am Glad I bought a DD!!!!

Wait my 33 year old MasterCraft didn't have a center drain!!!! Shoot was that us sitting on the ramp for a few minutes while all of the water drained out the BACK of the hull!!! I guess it was Miller time (OK I drink Becks but you know what I Mean!).

Sure am Glad I saved money and got a center drain!!!!