PDA

View Full Version : All these Moomba problems...

Moomba Dad
06-24-2008, 10:08 PM
I just bought an '04 Mobius LSV. Then I started surfing this forum and saw all of the problems that are occuring. Is this normal? Is everyone having problems? Are Moombas reliable or sorta reliable or what.

I'm getting a little nervous here...should I be?

Thanx in advance.

Moomba Dad

seanpatsdad
06-24-2008, 10:25 PM
I have the same boat as you and bough new in 04.No problems with her at all.Keep up on the preventative stuff and you will be fine.Think about it.It is a Chevy 350 powerplant.Thing has been around for ever.I think most of the stuff you read about is minor stuff.Go visit some of the high dollar comp boat websites and read some of the horror stories.Now think they are paying double.Have fun.
John

SkiBoy
06-24-2008, 10:29 PM
I have a '99 Outback with over 600 hours. Maintained regularly twice a year. I have done one fuel pump, 2 impellers, one transmission seal kit, one transmission return hose, one belt and one water pump. Not bad for almost 9 years of skiing.

I ski a lot. Last year I recorded 349 runs from Late may to early October. (I kept track for fun) I am pleased with the performance and reliability and would buy another Outback. (I may next year or in '10) I love the way it looks and handles.

I would not be worried. Boats have problems just like anything mechanical. A lot has to do with the owner. Sometimes things break, sometimes it's just bad luck, sometimes things wear out. You never know.

Good luck and have fun!

tazz3069
06-24-2008, 10:32 PM
I wouldn't worry. Moomba is a geat boat. Mine is an 07' and love it. I have had a few problems but nothing too big. Burnt out bulb, Not understanding the new boat and all its components, etc. Take time to know your boat. I am. I learn something new about it everytime I either go on this chat room or when I start the engine. I will give you a great example. This past weekend my family and I went out to the Lake. My tower lights went out. Blown fuse. My mistake. The fuse was way too small. The people we met up with, also had problems. One boat was a Malibu and the other was a Ski Centurion. Ski Centurion had engine problems and major radio problems. The installer really JERRY RIGED the system. I will be helping him with the new setup thanks to all the information that I got from everybody here on the site. The Malibu had ballast problems. His pump were not working properely. So you see everyone has some type of problems. It does not matter if you have a $95,000 Malibu or a $40,000 Moomba. Enjoy your boat with your family and do not let the small thing get in the way.
Tazz

smokedog2
06-24-2008, 10:42 PM
I have an 05 LSV, check the cushion screws, if they are too long replace or grind them off. That problem is old tape not seen for several years. I was never sure if mine were too long or not so I just ground them off anyway.
Stuff breaks - get perfect pass and heaters and stop worrying. CWB Hinge bindings too.
Boarding is way safer than quads, not even close to hunting though.
The number one sport for youth fatalities - baseball. Head and chest hits from the ball. Fortunately, your kids cannot board regularly and play baseball. Money well spent.

I am leaning more and more toward helmets on boards. Try one out, I like protec but that is all I have.

zegm
06-24-2008, 10:49 PM
I have owned 2 different types of boats for years. An inboard ski boat and an offshore fishing boat. You cannot even compare the 2, sure you have some problems with the ski boats but once you learn the boat you can easily fix the problems. Now take a boat that is exposed to salt water and see what this toxic mix can do to a boat. I can only dream that my salt water boat would have the problems that the inboard does!!!! And really compared to a modern car this are still simple machines with usually simple fixes.

04OUTBACK
06-25-2008, 12:04 AM
Boats need TLC.
This is the time of year when problems rear their ugly heads... first trips of the year..
Some issues come from fact that boats sit idle for long periods.. we use our car/truck every day all year long... keeps everything moving...

Take time to get to know the boat. You'll find most of the issues that have shown up are minor and most can be fixed at home. There are some very helpful folks in here who can guide you through.

Enjoy the boat.

Moomba Dad
06-25-2008, 06:58 AM
I have an 05 LSV, check the cushion screws, if they are too long replace or grind them off. That problem is old tape not seen for several years. I was never sure if mine were too long or not so I just ground them off anyway.
Stuff breaks - get perfect pass and heaters and stop worrying. CWB Hinge bindings too.
Boarding is way safer than quads, not even close to hunting though.
The number one sport for youth fatalities - baseball. Head and chest hits from the ball. Fortunately, your kids cannot board regularly and play baseball. Money well spent.

I am leaning more and more toward helmets on boards. Try one out, I like protec but that is all I have.

Could you please give me a little more info on the cushion screws...what screws are you talking about? Also, what are CWB hinge bindings.

I appreciate the advice from everyone. I really geeked about getting on the water for the first time this coming weekend.

Moomba Dad

tazz3069
06-25-2008, 08:25 AM
CWB is a manufacture for wakeboards. They offer Hindged bindings for the board.

K_E_N
06-25-2008, 01:17 PM
2004 Outback LSV bought in April
Things I've had to do so far:
install gas
check oil, transmission fluid, v-drive oil
install second amp
install 12" sub
add surfboard rack
add tower mirror mount
install tower mounted bimini
replace plastic cup holders with stainless steel
install integrated ballast system
built some cup holders that snap onto grab handle at rear of boat
replaced battery, original 2004 battery went out this year, excellent for a boat battery

oh yeah, steering was a little stiff so I went ahead and changed steering cable

Remember B.O.A.T. is an acronym for bust out another thousand.

I have some friends that have a 'bu. It has been in the shop nearly once a month during wakeboard season since they have owned it. Not knocking 'bu's, I think their's is just a lemon, but I prefer my well-used Moomba over their boat any day. BTW, that 'bu has been in the shop at least 2 or 3 times this summer. It's an '06 or '07.
The reason you see so many problems posted is because this is a great place to get answers for those problems. Few people (buttafuco being an exception) will post that all's going great with their boat, and then ask people what to work on. I think that was Butta's post anyway, sorry if I'm wrong.

LSV_Flying
06-25-2008, 01:36 PM
I've owned 2 runabouts (Maxum -- when they were near as good as the Sea Ray line & Sea Ray) ... both had their quirks (after 2 years of joy and fun, i took the maxum to the dealer 3 times b/c i couldn't get it to plane out in the 3rd year -- finally sold it back to the dealer to avoid more crap). Sea Rays are considered the premium bowrider/cruisers and that boat had similar issues to what i've experienced with my mobius (trimmings from hoses, screws and carpet getting sucked into the bilge).

My buddy owns a Mastercraft and he has a list of problems. With what we ask them to do (especially in 4 season climates) there is no question that boats are destined to experience problems.

I come here to stay on top of things and see if there is an easy explanation for the issue (most of the "issues" i see on here are more from a preventative/perfectionist perspective than from a "this boat is crap" perspective.

I have an '06 LSV and dealer set up was horrific (crossed wires on the stereo and docking lights led to problems) -- truth is, boat builders use damn near the same processes for the stucture (except for some of the new closed molded processes used by Genmar et. al.), use the exact same mechanicals (Indmar, PCM, Mercruiser, etc.), use the exact same electronics/controls (Telex, Perfect Pass, etc.) -- so dealer set up makes the biggest difference.

The way to overcome a careless dealer is to come here and see if someone knows how to cure what ails you ... relax, accept things will go wrong and come here when they do and we will all do our best to help you fix it.

JesseC
06-26-2008, 03:10 PM
02 Mobius LSV - carb 310 HP with 240 hours

ZERO Problems. The boat has NEVER left me stranded or caused any issues.

I have replaced what I consider "wearable" items such as the impeller.

I plan on holding on to my "Carbed" version as long as I can. 310 hp is more than enough even with 2000 lbs of ballast and there really isn't much to go wrong on the carb engines. Very few sensors, no O2s no computer, just a carb and a distributor.....simple....just like its owner!! :)

zegm
06-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Jessie,

My buddy, my friend, the one to whom I respect their mechanical abilities. There ain't nothing wrong with Fuel Injection! I have been driving FI cars since the 70's. Ok all of them have been Bosch J or L type (J-mechanical, L-electronic). I have NEVER had a Fuel injection related failure. And after racing cars with Big Ole Side Draft Webers I found out that I could loose a little Horsepower but go around the curves so much faster (no issues with silly floats going squirly) by replacing the carbs with FI. You can even go out with me in my Twin 150Hp 2 stroke Evinrudes in my Proline and not break the bank because I get at least 50% better fuel economy with the Ficht FI. If I had carbs on those bad boys I would be bankrupt now. So please join with me in developing a Oil Filter Wrench that is SO Strong, So usable, So simple that it will automatically remove any oil filter automatically after we hit the Start Button. And of course it would never damage the block causing one to not have a way to ski for 3 weeks!!!!!

JesseC
06-27-2008, 12:08 AM
Jessie,

My buddy, my friend, the one to whom I respect their mechanical abilities. There ain't nothing wrong with Fuel Injection! I have been driving FI cars since the 70's. Ok all of them have been Bosch J or L type (J-mechanical, L-electronic). I have NEVER had a Fuel injection related failure. And after racing cars with Big Ole Side Draft Webers I found out that I could loose a little Horsepower but go around the curves so much faster (no issues with silly floats going squirly) by replacing the carbs with FI. You can even go out with me in my Twin 150Hp 2 stroke Evinrudes in my Proline and not break the bank because I get at least 50% better fuel economy with the Ficht FI. If I had carbs on those bad boys I would be bankrupt now. So please join with me in developing a Oil Filter Wrench that is SO Strong, So usable, So simple that it will automatically remove any oil filter automatically after we hit the Start Button. And of course it would never damage the block causing one to not have a way to ski for 3 weeks!!!!!

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/forum/rotfl.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)
I have nothing against Fuel Injection. I absolutely love my 1999 4x4 2 Door Tahoe. I was just poken fun at all you FI guys fighting vapor lock with your fancy Catalytic converters and "Check engine lights". Mine is simple, it is either running or it isnt. Only problems could be with the carb or distributor or the fact that I ran out of gas 2.5 hours before the rest of you. Truth be known, I would love for SC to swap my 02 LSV for a new model LSV with the 320 HP engine. I mean how can I keep giving instructionals on the Moombas with such an outdated boat??? As to the oil filter wrench, I use one that attaches to my 3/8 inch ratchet which is a cam style I got at the local auto parts store. It looks a lot like this one http://www.bosstoolsupply.com/productimages/oem/25128.jpg

zabooda
06-27-2008, 01:05 AM
One thing to remember about this website is probably less than 1% of all Moomba owners use the site and only a fraction of them that do use the site have had problems with their new boats (older boats will naturally have wear and tear ultimately have break downs). One thing to remember is production defects occurs in all manufactoring and to drive the total defects to zero raises production costs exponentially which in turn is paid by the consumer or they go out of business if they can't get a return on their investment. SC appears to be doing a good job of fixing the problems and fixing the issues on subsequent production runs. Indmar does a good job too with Engine Nut coming on the board and advising of software changes to the engine. Kinda cool how engine modifications can be done by plugging it in. SC and Indmar do a super job and the bean counters tracking deficiencies for them know it as they can show it on paper. We all hate to be a statistic (except winning the lottery) but these are all correctable.

JesseC
06-27-2008, 02:48 PM
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/ad/drunk.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)
Only other problems I have, had have to do with friends and gas money, but at least they do bring beer!!!!

Zegm, if you end up passing through Bham, let me know and we can go out on the lake and have the FI vs Carb debate over a few cold ones!!!

kaneboats
06-27-2008, 04:35 PM
I'd be willing to moderate that debate any time.

Tyger
06-29-2008, 11:31 PM
I've got an 05 Mobius that I bought used. I've had a slew of minor problems, but I attribute most of them to the lack of care by the original owner. However, I accounted for that in my purchase price, so it's no sweat for me.

The only time I've been stuck on the water was when the breaker popped on the ignition. It took my buddy 30 seconds to fix it after swim/dragging the boat back to the launch. I didn't think to check the breaker because the engine was turning over, just not starting. I assumed the breaker would be inline with the starter. U no what happens when u assume.

My experience with anything recreational (jet skis/PWC, four wheelers, snow mobiles, boats) is that stuff breaks on a pretty regular basis. I love the bust out another thousand acronym. :)

There are some flames about Moomba and some fanbois, but in general they prove that you get what you pay for (or maybe even more in their case). You don't pay the 75-115k like you would for a high end MC or Malibu, but I believe the quality overall isn't as good. I think my next boat will be one of those, but I would buy my current boat all over again knowing these problems up front. A similarly equipped 01 Mastercraft that I was close to buying would have cost me 7k higher than what I paid for my 05 Moomba.

tazz3069
06-30-2008, 09:00 AM
Jesse--
Not so much interested in the debate. It could be a good one. But the cold ones sounds really good. It better be really cold. I have a long drive from Vegas. LOL
Tazz

zegm
06-30-2008, 09:05 AM
Jessie,

Now that sounds like a plan!!!!

JesseC
06-30-2008, 09:17 AM
Jessie,

Now that sounds like a plan!!!!

Jesse--
Not so much interested in the debate. It could be a good one. But the cold ones sounds really good. It better be really cold. I have a long drive from Vegas. LOL
Tazz

Any time guys, I will keep a couple extra yuenglings on the boat just in case either of you swing by!!