PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta reunion ?

moombadaze
06-24-2008, 01:27 PM
anybody live on the lake i was just wondering how the water level is doing--will be at shoal creek campground in 2weeks. anything to watch out for?

thanks

stacy

kaneboats
06-25-2008, 09:15 AM
I'm interested in any reply to this one too.

tlrowe
06-25-2008, 02:51 PM
According to GA Power, the overall lake level for Lanier is down 14+ feet. I'm not very familiar with the lake, so I don't know any local specifics for the Shoal Creek area.

http://lakes.southernco.com/

zegm
06-25-2008, 11:38 PM
Tim is going to hate me for this but Lanier is a big wide open lake with hundreds of 500k plus homes on it. It was never a good ski lake because of the big boat wakes and the wind getting at it. I really wished they it was going to be at lake acworth. This is the lake where they have wakeboard events and boat races. It is a closed lake so maybe the city of Acworth didn't have an opening or something like that. Lanier is so big and wide that the low water levels are not going to cause too much of an issue!

zegm
06-26-2008, 07:08 AM
Tim would not set up a place where you couldn't use the ramps, and unlike Florida lakes these lakes can be lowered or raised at will so they can lower the lakes to make them long. It is also for this reason that they have to be soooo long due to the fact they fluctuate so much.

moombadaze
06-26-2008, 09:00 AM
my big concern was the ramps, 2 yrs ago we stayed at old federal campground and there ramp was unusable-lucky there was another ramp 2 miles up the road that was good.

SJTLMT
06-26-2008, 09:19 AM
The lake is very low but we were out on it yesterday and it is still safe to boat on. Unfortunitly I will not be able to be there because I will be getting married on the 12th.

kaneboats
06-26-2008, 11:50 AM
SJTLMT, CONGRATULATIONS! It's our 15th anniversary today. So, my advice, if I were you, is:
Tell her you can't make it because you have to go to the jamboree. HA HA. Just kidding.
OUCH! (Didn't hear her come up behind me.)

moombadaze
06-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Kane 15th--congrats

kaneboats
06-26-2008, 03:45 PM
Thanks very mush! It's been a long road and a lot of hard work. But enough about her, let's talk about me. Oops! There's the frying pan again.

Maybe it will rain the weekend we are all there and get the lake levels up a bit.

zegm
06-26-2008, 08:14 PM
Ed, they cannot slow down the flow of water to the Chattahoocee with turns into the Appalachacola at Lake Seminole. Florida has been fighting with Alambama and Georgia for years over this issue. If you want some great oysters and scallops you will be on our side the Florida side (Appalacha Bay)!!!! I grew up in Georgia but Atlanta grew sooooo fast and money flowed just as fast to the policticians that there was no thought of updating the infrastructor to support the phenominal growth. You can also see the effects of this growth when you read about the constant road improvements. When I was young Lanier was out in the middle of nowhere, now it is a Lake for the Rich. I grew up on Lake Allatoona which was a better skiing lake because it is narrower and surrounded by mountains that block the wind. It is a Army Corps of Engineers lake and as such less than 10% percent of the shoreline has houses. However it is now the busiest lake in the world as rated by boats per acre. Lanier is in 4th place! We could not even ski on a Monday morning without worrying about getting run over. When it took my wife 45 minutes to get to work that was only 15 miles away and this was on a good day then it was time to leave.

kaneboats
06-27-2008, 04:31 PM
So it's not much for boating on a Sat., I assume. Should be smart like EdG and leave the boat home. Oh well, we're gonna have fun anyway. I'm going for the people. There's better boating at home.

moombadaze
06-27-2008, 05:32 PM
i have not been on the lake for a saturday myself-we allways arrived sunday afternoon and left on thursday. during the week it was like haveing the whole lake to ourselves. it was so empty in fact we nick named a small island skinnydip insland.

kaneboats
07-01-2008, 02:47 PM
I don't know if I'll have all my stuff for surfing with me. I have to do gear for 8 people so I may have to just learn from others this time. I still need to get a nice T rope too. I'm a little behind on getting out to surf b/c my surfer brother has been out of town, the weather has been impossible and the other brother has a back injury. I've been dodging lightning just to take the kids out and get one set in myself.

MOOMBA_97
07-02-2008, 08:40 AM
Guys,

My wife reserved a room right down the road at some hotel, have no idea which one. You guys think there will be enough boats to hitch a ride when needed where i don't have to pull mine? Kane, I know your bringing yours but it will probably be full up.

Monty

kaneboats
07-02-2008, 09:55 AM
Monty-- Glad to hear you're coming. I can usually only squeeze one or two on top of my crew of 8 (or is that crew of 7 plus captain?-- mutinous crew anyway).

MOOMBA_97
07-02-2008, 01:56 PM
My wife wants to take the boat. I really need to redo the bearings for that long a haul and I just don't have the time between now and then. I also had a tansmission overheating issue a couple weeks back when it puked up about 2 qts. through the relief valve.

Kane, you going to the fireworks at the Flint on Friday? We may. Going to the lake house at Seminole tomorrow thru Sunday but we might ride up Friday night. It's just a pain with all the people and trying to get your boat in and out.

Monty

kaneboats
07-03-2008, 03:06 AM
I never even put in on the 4th. Too dangerous and not usually fun anyway. My subdivision (Killearn Lakes) has a nice fireworks show over Lake Monkey Business. We go out on the island (not really an island cuz there's a strip of land to get out there and set up ahead of time. We pack the wagon with the cooler and chairs, etc. The boy scouts sell hotdogs and there's a DJ. It's very casual for the kids and 5 min. to get home when the show's over. I'll be out there on the Flint on Sat. by 11 but will probably head up north of Bainbridge.