PDA

View Full Version : ethanol in fuel...

bobwells
06-24-2008, 07:42 AM
Our re-hab ministry operates a lawn-care service as one of our ways to support the treatment homes. Yesterday one of our mowers shut-down and wouldnt crank. We had the guys pull the fuel line/and filter to verify they were getting fuel, reported "black stuff" came out. They flushed lines and it fired back up. We have been buying fuel for all our lawn equipment at a local wal-mart that has 10% ethanol stickers posted on pumps, I told our guys to stop purchasing where pumps are posting ethanol. Do any of you know if it is required that pump operaters post if they are using ethanol blends? Or possibly any oil companies commited to stick to straight crude oil products, I just have the impression that many of our engines and equipment may not be designed to be compatible with the mix.
thanks for any info, bob

kaneboats
06-24-2008, 10:07 AM
Bob, I think just about all of them are running 10% ethanol now. I think Shell and Amoco used to run a no ethanol fuel but this was a few years back. I can't remember seeing a pump without the sticker in recent years. Maybe I just buy the cheap stuff though.

jkendall79
07-01-2008, 08:23 PM
I think Sta-bil is making an additive to protect engines from the ethanol mix now. I haven't heard anything though on how well it works, but they usually make pretty good products.