PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else

moakdog
06-24-2008, 12:56 AM
LOVE our 05 Outback, the kids have a blast our 6 year-old daughter fights to wakeboard first when we hit the lake. No issues with the boat that is garaged and covered. However, I was wondering if anyone else has had issues with trailer tires. We just had a blow out were the tread of the tire came off which leads me to believe it is a retreaded tire. I am mad about the tire but pissed about the quality of the fender. When the tread came off it jacked up the fender, it crumbled. I will not travel with "no worries" anymore.

zabooda
06-24-2008, 02:49 AM
Doubt very much it was a retread at least not by SC. If your on a single axle, your at the maximum weight load for those trailer tires. Always a few defects out there. I just replaced mine after 10 years and the tread was good but I saw the bead through tiny pinholes and cracking on the sidewall. Most tire manufactorers only warrenty their tires for 5 years because of UV aging.

kaneboats
06-24-2008, 10:20 AM
I just lost a tire a couple weeks ago. It was 9 y/o and looked very new. So I replaced em both. The treat came right off and damaged the fender but didn't lose the air. I heard a hiss at the ramp so I pulled over into the shade and got it changed out. The tire dealer said to throw them out after 5 years and you'll never have a problem.

Aquaholic
06-24-2008, 10:50 AM
There is 100 percent no chance that the tire was a re-tread if it came from the factory. Boatmate is the builder of the trailer. I would wager that your tires were the Goodyear Marathons. Boatmate stop putting those tires on their product because of the very reason your asking about. The tread would seperate and then Goodyear would not stand behind there own warranty. BM got mad and simply changed tire manufactures.

I was told by Owen, VP of Manufacturing for BM that we should always keep the tire pressure at its highest proper pressure to avoid blow outs. Heat and tire flex is what cause the problems.

I will be replacing my tires with Maxxis trailer tires when the time comes.

Aqua

moakdog
06-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Thanks for the replies. The tires are only three years-old on a two axle trailer, just worried for our travels to Lake Powell this July and the fact that the trailer looks messed up. It's GAS or trailer repair :)

zabooda
06-24-2008, 03:26 PM
I would say at three years old you should go to a tire store that sells the tires that are on your trailer and have the others inspected. I would think the others are OK and get a matching tire. My Goodyears lasted ten years and I was lucky to see seperation starting to occur when I aired them up for the summer.

c.rix
06-24-2008, 06:39 PM
There is 100 percent no chance that the tire was a re-tread if it came from the factory. Boatmate is the builder of the trailer. I would wager that your tires were the Goodyear Marathons. Boatmate stop putting those tires on their product because of the very reason your asking about. The tread would seperate and then Goodyear would not stand behind there own warranty. BM got mad and simply changed tire manufactures.

I was told by Owen, VP of Manufacturing for BM that we should always keep the tire pressure at its highest proper pressure to avoid blow outs. Heat and tire flex is what cause the problems.

I will be replacing my tires with Maxxis trailer tires when the time comes.

Aqua

My girlfriends brother works for goodyear and he said they always set the marathons at max pressure never go under