PDA

View Full Version : weeds or shaft bearings?

SkiBoy
06-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Last night after two previous ski runs, the boat did not pull properly. It was at 4000 rpm and was only at 25 mph. The driver shut it down and I got in the boat for a look. I cleared any weeds, checked the transmission fluid, checked engine temp, etc. Engine was fine at idle and it revved normally. I put in into reverse and forward a few times and then jumped back in the water. It ran fine.

Today I checked the shaft packing nut, did a once over on the engine, lingered under the boat with my mask and snorkel looking for fishing line, and did anything I could think of to look for a problem.

Has anyone else had this happen? The boat is a 99 outback with 600 hours, almost all of which are ski hours. I have skied 50 times this year already and that is the first time it's had this temporary problem. (or ever)

When I turn the prop by hand it seems a little harder than I recall. The shaft does turn when the boat is revved, just as it always has.

Any recommendations? Is it due for shaft bearings?

Thanks

Allen

zegm
06-22-2008, 09:31 PM
In order for the engine to be turning that kind of RPM but for the boat to be going that slow the transmission has to be slipping. The prop is either keyed or is on a splined shaft and I seriously doubt you could have a partial failure there. Have you checked the fluid levels?

james yarosz
06-22-2008, 11:03 PM
I've had heavy weeds on the prop do the same thing to my boat.Usually by backing up the weeds come right off.

SkiBoy
06-23-2008, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the replies. I did check the trans level. A bit over the full line. Fluid was changed this spring and seals were changed and the transmission checked and flushed thoroughly two years ago.

I skied last night twice and no problems.

The weeds we have on the lake are tough and stringy, but when I looked under the boat after the slowdown there were only a few on the prop shaft. Reverse does not clear these type of weeds.

I thought it was the tranny at first, but it was lugging, not slipping. It felt like I was towing a barge.

Thanks

Allen

zegm
06-24-2008, 09:36 AM
Skiboy,

I am originally from Atlanta, what lake are you having problems with the weeds? I never had an issue up there but down here on Deerpoint lake in Panama city the aquatic flora is everywhere and can be a real pain. Take a mask and snorkel and something to cut them with.

SkiBoy
06-24-2008, 10:58 AM
I fled the heat of an Atlanta summer, years ago. I am there most of the winter, but I'm on a small lake in central NY for the summer.

When the boat was lugging, I had already cleared the weeds. It has not happened since.
I have been out with my mask and snorkel many times. I even dive under the boat and clear the prop before I ski.

Not sure what happened last week. It felt like there was something holding the boat back. The engine was working hard, but it was not transferring to the prop.

Here is a pic a friend took of me from a hot air balloon last September.

spyder
08-09-2008, 11:01 PM
Not sure what happened last week. It felt like there was something holding the boat back. The engine was working hard, but it was not transferring to the prop.

Any solution? My boat is in a similar situation....

Feels like I am pulling a barge... ;)

SkiBoy
08-10-2008, 10:14 AM
The weeds have died off and I have not had the problem since I first wrote about it. I have more than 100 runs since the incident and the lugging has not reoccurred. I put it into forward and reverse several times and then it was fine. Don't really know what happened.

spyder
08-10-2008, 11:04 AM
over a 100 pulls in a month... I wish I was as lucky as you!

SkiBoy
08-10-2008, 12:31 PM
Not quite 100 a month!

I started skiing in late May this year and have 161 runs so far. Not a record pace, as last year I had over 200 by this time. The lake is small and is set up well for skiing. I get 4 full course like passes in during a run around the lake. Plus I can rest a bit after the first two sets. The last two are back to back, as we run into a cove and return down our path before heading back to the start up point. Total time on the water is about 10 minutes from leaving the dock to returning to the tie up area.

I hope you figure out your problem. Let me know what happens.

jmvotto
08-10-2008, 03:48 PM
ski boy, which lake are you on. I am on Keuka lake in penn yan south of Rochester. we have not had any of those weed problems. do you have a course on that lake ?

Nice to have an upsate New Yorker on bthe board.

Did you get you boat at silver lake marine?

:D

SkiBoy
08-11-2008, 08:56 AM
Lake Moraine in Hamilton. No course, but there is one on a lake close by (Eatonbrook) and one on Cazenovia lake as well. I get parts from Silver Lake Marine, but got the boat from another dealer in that area before Silver lake took over.

jmvotto
08-11-2008, 09:12 AM
is there public access to those courses and to the lakes? eaton looks like a reservoir, probably much smoother than casanovia lake.

:D