PDA

View Full Version : another stereo question - need help

norrisboater
06-22-2008, 12:09 PM
I have a 2008 Mobius LS, I am switching out the standard speakers with Polk db651 and using a kicker Z350.4. I am also going to install Kicker tower speakers that I believe have 2 speakers per unit. Does that mean I have to have a 4 channel amp because it is has 4 speakers? Also, if I 1 out of the stock kenwood stereo, do I use a splitter on the wire before it goes into both amps (I am getting another one for the tower). Thanks in advance for your help.

norrisboater
06-22-2008, 04:57 PM
A correction to the post above, I have a 2005 Mobius LS. I believe I can use a splitter coming off the stock kenwood stereo before it goes to both amps. I believe I can use a 4 channel amp for the 6 in boat speakers and a 2 channel for the tower speakers. Kicker says that each tower unit is 150 watts RMS with a max of 300. I am thinking about using a 2 channel 200 watt amp....does that make sense?

Also, I was thinking about running the power to the tower speakers through a switch so that I can shut them down when I don't want to use them? also, I was thinking about setting up the gain the the tower amp so that it would rise faster in volume that the in boat speakers so that I am not blasting my ears out.

I welcome your thoughts.

tazz3069
06-22-2008, 07:48 PM
Norrisboater--
I also use the kicker amps. I have the 700.5 for the boat and the 350.4 for the towers. You can run a speaker wire to each speaker or you can wire them in series. I used the Polk DB651 in the boat. The two rear speakers are in series which is channel 3&4. The two front speakers are wired normal. I also have a sub. This is why I am using the 700.5.
In regards to the RCA, I am assuming that you are using the stock HU. If so then yes. You need to use two Y connections. This way, you can run an RCA to each amp. Or for better control, you can get an EQ. With the EQ, use 1 RCA from HU to EQ then two RCA's the the amps.