PDA

View Full Version : Help, new surfer, want slack!

KurtL
06-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Guys,

Just got the boat past 10 hour break-in. Tried surfing for the first time. What a blast! Got up right away (watched short instructional video). However I could not find the sweet spot to get some slack. We have a 08 Mobius dd. Just gravity I and two people in the back. Do I need more weight to gain slack? I'm 5'10'' 170lbs and learning on a hyperlite landlock board. Suggests please!!!

Thanks,

Kurt

moombadaze
06-22-2008, 10:56 AM
Kurt you need lots more weight, need to get the rear surf side rub rail on the boat allmost to the water.

bradenb12
06-22-2008, 03:44 PM
x2, more weight man. Just experiment with it and you will get it...

tlatoani
06-23-2008, 03:22 PM
I don't have a ton of weight in my boat. For me the key was finding that sweet spot in the wake, and learning how to shift weight properly on the board. Just practice shifting weight forward to "speed up" and back to "slow down". I took a few nose dives during the learning process. Try pulling yourself up the rope (closer to the boat) to see if the wake is better/worse at different spots.

Also, I think I was in too much of a rush to toss the rope in. Once you get some slack, just let the rope hang loose in your hand. It's much easier than having to take off all over again. Once you can keep slack for a minute or so it might be time to toss the rope.

K_E_N
06-26-2008, 02:39 PM
I recently learned how to wakesurf so I'm by no means an expert. However, as I was learning I read somewhere that wakeboarders tend to place too much weight on their back foot. After reading that, and adjusting my weight so that the nose of the board seems like it's going to go under, I was surfing. Now that I have a better feel for the board, I've found that to speed up you apply forward weight. To slow down you apply rear weight. It feels wrong at first, but great later (kinda like something else I experienced while a teenager many, many years ago).

KurtL
06-30-2008, 12:05 AM
Guys, thanks for all the tips. This weekend only able to get one short surfing session. It was my wife's first time driving the boat (any boat for that matter)! She actual did pretty well. First slalom ski she sunk me twice trying to adjust the speed. Oh well, you have to figure in a learning curve!

Speaking of learning curve, I was able to get slack but only stayed up for 10-15 seconds after tossing rope in. Speed of 9-9.5 mph seemed best for me. Next attempt we'll add 400lb fat sack and a few more people. Won't get a chance to try it again until mid July due to other weekend commitments.
Ed, I'll post some pictures later next month.

Kurt

tlatoani
06-30-2008, 05:01 PM
Guys, thanks for all the tips. This weekend only able to get one short surfing session. It was my wife's first time driving the boat (any boat for that matter)! She actual did pretty well. First slalom ski she sunk me twice trying to adjust the speed. Oh well, you have to figure in a learning curve!

Speaking of learning curve, I was able to get slack but only stayed up for 10-15 seconds after tossing rope in. Speed of 9-9.5 mph seemed best for me. Next attempt we'll add 400lb fat sack and a few more people. Won't get a chance to try it again until mid July due to other weekend commitments.
Ed, I'll post some pictures later next month.

Kurt

2 things:

Don't be in a hurry to toss the rope. Just let it go slack until you can do so for a steady time (like a minute).

Perfect Pass is a HUGE help for new drivers. Then again, learning proper throttle control is a good skill to have. I make my wife drive a lot just for practice.