PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with a question

chutch
06-21-2008, 09:02 PM
First let me say hello to everyone as this is my first post.

I bought a used Moomba Outback last year. It is a 98 version. This is my first boat and I love it! I am looking into getting a new prop for it because mine is dinged up because of a few lovely rocks. I have no idea what would be best for wakeboarding. Right now it has a 3 propeller on it. I guess it is probably what ever came on it. I use this for mostly wakeboarding so what is the best for that? I don't really know what the advantages are of a 4 vs 3 prop and what all the different diameters and pitchs do.

Any information on props would be great. Also if anyone knows of good instructional wakeboarding stuff that would be great too. If there are any places on the web that are free instructions on wakeboarding please point me in that direction. I see a lot about "The Book" on here and am going to check that out in a second.

Anyway, look forward to posting more.

newty
06-21-2008, 11:39 PM
Your best bet would be to call some prop mfg's. They love to sell props and are more than willing to get what you need. OJ props is the only one that comes to mind, but from what I hear they are great to work with.

Good luck!
Welcome to the Moomba Family!

smokedog2
06-23-2008, 10:07 PM
You can also get teh one you have fixed (keep it as a spare). I woud call the dealer. I have heard the pitch on pitch but don't really remember much. I go for the hole shot rather than speed.

If you have been running with a banged up prop check your shaft alignment

gcombe74
07-11-2008, 04:03 PM
I spoke with spencer at wakeside.com just yesterday.. I would give him a call he can get you in the right direction... he was great.. he will ask you what you do .. how much wieght and what altitude you ride at.... ext... and he wont push to sell you .. he is just support there...

but if you a boarder.. you will want a 4 blade... trust me better hole shot, better fuel economy.

as far a videos go I have to say being a shawn murray fan is why I bought the first detention, but I would buy the 2nd video he put out just for the fact that the beginner section is really good detention 2012... shows alot of things from boat setup to riding ext... but very good for the beginner and the rest is great too.. but I learned a few things that I did not know on the boat setup.

NCSUmoomba
07-14-2008, 06:35 PM
From what I understand, the 4 blade props are smoother and have less vibration. When I tore up my factory 3 blade 13x13 on my 2001 Outback DD, I called OJ and talked to them and ended up switching to a 4 blade 13x13 since I still waterski as well as wakeboard. With my boat loaded up with about 1200# of ballast and 5 or 6 people, the prop is adequate, but I did have to crank up the perfect pass settings a bit. When I bought that new prop, I was not weighting the boat as much as I am now, but it still does fine. If I ever have to get another prop, I might upgrade to an OJ XMP Edge CNC machined prop. I have heard nothing but great things about them. I would probably adjust the size as well for a little better performance, but again, I will seek guidance from OJ.

tazz3069
07-15-2008, 07:40 PM
chutch--
Try www.boarditup.com talk to karl. He helped me with my prop questions. I also bought a prop from him. He sells both the ACME prop and the OJ Prop.
Tazz