PDA

View Full Version : electrical/starter problem?

bradenb12
06-21-2008, 06:25 PM
2000 Moomba Mobius V
]
Here is whats going on...Took boat out yesterday evening for the first time, (I know, I've been busy this year) charged up the battery yesterday afternoon. When I started it with fake-a-lake attached I noticed it took a while to turn over at first.

Anyway, got to the lake yesterday evening and everything seemed fine. Then, after sitting a while at the end of the evening, getting ready to head to the ramp and try to fire up the boat and click, click, click. I didn't do anything then. Just swam boat to the ramp, we were close to the ramp so it was no big deal. My first thought was the battery was done.

This morning I took the battery to O'Reilly to load test it and they charged it up said it was fine. I put the battery back in the boat, try to fire it up and I get click, click, click and then the boat will turn over once or twice and the clicking sound.

All of the accessories work, perfect pass, blower, stereo, ballast pumps, etc. So, Since the battery seems to be okay I'm thinking something is wrong with the starter. What do you guys think??

zegm
06-21-2008, 07:21 PM
My first thought would be to check the battery connections first, and especially the ground lug!!! My old MasterCraft would do this often and I would have to remove the ground lug off the engine and clean it and reinstall it. Also clean the battery connections and terminals. They make tools to do this and you can get them at any auto store.

dlb03moomba
06-21-2008, 08:40 PM
Just had a similiar problem. Checked all the cables/wiring and it ended up being the starter solenoid. I took the starter to an autoparts store who said that the starter was done (wanted to sell me a $225 starter). Ended up at a starter/alternator repair shop who diagnosed it as a bad/burnt solenoid. Paid $50 for the solenoid and was down the road without problem.

bradenb12
06-23-2008, 03:14 PM
I took the boat to the local Mastercraft dealer this morning. I didn't want to mess with taking the starter out myself. Hopefully it's the solenoid or I can get the starter rebuilt.

JesseC
06-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Let us know what you find, but I am still betting on the battery. I have seen batteries pass a "load test" and then still internally short on a stronger load from a starter and just go tick-tick-tick. Be sure and let us know......

bradenb12
06-24-2008, 11:18 AM
I'd feel better if it is the battery! Crazy thing is the battery isn't very old, but then again it does take a beating given the power it has to supply.

seanpatsdad
06-24-2008, 04:39 PM
I had a truck that did this.It was the bushings were worn and the armature would suck to one side of the starter housing and dragged when energized.
John

bradenb12
06-25-2008, 11:14 AM
JesseC, SURE AS S#*T was the battery!!!! They put a new one in it and it fired right up!!! I kind of feel like an idiot...Oh well, better the battery than the starter!

JesseC
06-25-2008, 11:19 AM
JesseC, SURE AS S#*T was the battery!!!! They put a new one in it and it fired right up!!! I kind of feel like an idiot...Oh well, better the battery than the starter!

Glad to help, I would still do one last test to make sure it was the battery and not the alternator. Does your AMP/Charge gauge read at least 13 or higher while the boat is running? If your alternator is going bad, the boat will run fine until the battery becomes weak and she may not start back up. If you do not trust your gauge, you can put a volt meter on the battery terminals while the boat is RUNNING and verify that there is at least 13 volts charging to the battery. Hope you have a good weekend on the water!!!