PDA

View Full Version : Oil Extractor Question

K_E_N
06-20-2008, 03:19 PM
Quick question for you do-it-yourselfers. What oil extraction device do you use? I've seen everything from the drill pumps to the high end 110V pump units. I want to know which unit is good enough for occasional use. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I also don't mind paying a few more bucks for something that works well and will last me for years.
I purchased a 2004 LSV a few months ago and plan upon doing all of my own maintenance. I've never owned an inboard so it's all going to be a learning experience. My previous I/O had a dipstick tube with a threaded fitting on the top that allow me to screw on my hand-held pump. That pump, which sucked anyway, was lost to a storage shed fire.

dolph
06-20-2008, 04:28 PM
I'd use that over any other extraction if it's available. I have a 2002 Outback LS, it has the drain feature which is connected right to the block where the oil plug normally would be located.

I've used all extraction methods (drill hook ups, pumps, big syringes, etc) in my other boats, never trusted or liked them. I don't care what the dealers say, the sledge doesn't come out.

zegm
06-22-2008, 10:00 PM
Make sure you don't have the oil drain hose that is attached to where the normal drain plug is located. They even put this on my 1975 MasterCraft. I have tried the pumps and well I though I wasted my money.

TL7
06-22-2008, 10:10 PM
That pump, which sucked anyway, was lost to a storage shed fire.

No pun intended, right? :D

LSV_Flying
06-23-2008, 10:25 AM
There should be a hose connected to the bottom of your oil pan. It has an rounded square "pin" attaced to the end and usually which is usually pulled up high for easy access. Unfortunately, mine is not long enough to make it out the back of the boat through the drain plug hole (first boat i've had where that was an issue).

Regardless, I picked up an extension at the hardware store (use a clear tube that will fit tight around the oil pan hose for $3 -- the clear lets you see you are getting oil) and then i picked up a drill pump for $12. Make sure the engine is warm (warm oil moves faster) then go at it -- it'll be empty in 30 seconds.

Good luck!

JDsTOY
06-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Get yourself what is called the "topsider". I know you can get them at www.northerntool.com and have seen the in many boating catalogs. I also am a do-it-yourselfer and have found many other little uses for using this thing and the best part is its CLEAN. I have even used it on cool oil not cold and it works fine. When i'm done I leave everything connected, set the can on the floor and raise the hose straight up and attach it to something from the rafter in the garage and in an hour the hsoe is clean.

JDsTOY
06-23-2008, 01:15 PM
I didn't mention I go right throught the dipstick on my boat. Again NO mess.

cab13367
06-23-2008, 02:19 PM
There should be a hose connected to the bottom of your oil pan. It has an rounded square "pin" attaced to the end and usually which is usually pulled up high for easy access. Unfortunately, mine is not long enough to make it out the back of the boat through the drain plug hole (first boat i've had where that was an issue).

Regardless, I picked up an extension at the hardware store (use a clear tube that will fit tight around the oil pan hose for $3 -- the clear lets you see you are getting oil) and then i picked up a drill pump for $12. Make sure the engine is warm (warm oil moves faster) then go at it -- it'll be empty in 30 seconds.

Good luck!

I like that idea - sucking it out through the drain line hose - will try it next time.

Thanks for the tip.

Al