PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good beginer board? *pics*

deafgoose
06-19-2008, 01:53 PM
I picked this board up last week for cheap. I figured it was good enough to learn on and then I could sell it and upgrade to something more serious next season.

Opinions?

http://www.dansouliere.com/pictures/wakeboard.jpg
http://www.dansouliere.com/pictures/wakeboard2.jpg

yager97
06-19-2008, 02:05 PM
your gonna want to downsize that center fin, or even take it right off. beginners tend to catch that center fin and take some pretty horrible falls that will scare you right off wakeboarding.

deafgoose
06-19-2008, 02:30 PM
Should I remove them both?

yager97
06-19-2008, 02:41 PM
ya i suggest taking both right off, i dont know if you can get some 1 inch fins to replace them with, but taht would be better. those fins look fairly large in the picture. also, empty your boat of any ballast, and ride around 17-18mph till you begin to feel more comfortable on your board

deafgoose
06-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Excellent advice. Thanks!!!

The fins are 7" long and 1-3/4" tall.

cab13367
06-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Sorry, I don't agree with removing the fins. I've found that the fins help the board track straight and gives it a stable, planted feel, which is reassuring for a beginner. Removing the fins makes it feel skittish and loose, which is not a good feeling for a beginner.

That's my experience.

Al

cab13367
06-19-2008, 06:07 PM
Oh, and that is a perfectly good board to learn on assuming the size is appropriate for your weight.

deafgoose
06-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Oh, and that is a perfectly good board to learn on assuming the size is appropriate for your weight.

138cm is good for riders 140lb - 225lb correct?

I weigh 150lb

04OUTBACK
06-19-2008, 09:32 PM
Size wize, it should be fine. I kinda agree with CAB on this a little. You'll enjoy the tracking of that center fin as you first get used to riding. Since that board has some molded in fins, that will help when you remove. here's when I suggest you remove fins for a trial.... when you decide you want to learn to ride switch, you'll want to remove them. My first board was a CWB beginner set up with a HUGE fin on it. I could not understand why I could not switch like the instructional video kept saying.. realized they were riding with smaller or no center fins! Get used to riding first then try the fin removal.. that board should track decent with the molded fins and no center fin..

Not sure who made that board for Mercury.. my guess it was a promo deal free with purchase of a boat.. kinda looks like a hyperlite prduct, but not sure.. you may can find smaller fins.. and you could possible sand/grind them down some..

pickle311
06-19-2008, 09:46 PM
the fins will help it track, but they can also keep you from learning proper edging technique. Large center fins are really just a crutch, take them off and learn to ride a loose board. You will be glad you did later on. It will really help you learn to control the board the correct way.

deafgoose
06-19-2008, 11:37 PM
Sweet...

I will try the board with and without the fins and get a good feel for it.

I wish I knew who made them for Mercury. There is no way they made it themselves.

dtlaine
06-25-2008, 10:02 PM
I have a beginner that goes out in the boat with me from time to time. She finally could get out of the water, and she was on my CWB Faction w/ no center fin. It has small fins on each side, and she was all over the place. I had her try my old Hyperlite Motive w/ 1.25" fins, and it made a huge difference for her. The board tracked straighter, and she really enjoyed it. I think it's catching an edge that makes for the face-plants that hurt. Enjoy your new boat and hobby.

deeluk
06-27-2008, 12:22 AM
I started with an '04 Premier that has 2 molded in fins and a 1.2" center fin (I think). I rode with the fins for 3 seasons. I think they did become a bit of a crutch for me. But in some ways I think they helped as well. I learned to switch with the fins. Granted they are not as big as yours. But I took my share of faceplants. Maybe I would have avoided them if I had started without the fins. Then again maybe I wouldn't have progressed as quickly. Today, I ride a LF PS3 without fins. I really love the looser feel. And now I think I have a pretty strong edge and good board control. I'll never put them back on. I say ride for a bit with the fins, then take them off. Don't wait too long or the loose feel might scare you off.

zegm
07-03-2008, 10:17 PM
The large fins will help you get on the board and feel comfortable, but if you try switching you are going to face plant hard! All boards have rocker and if you put the board on a flat surface and the board is sitting on the fins you pretty much can't do anything with the board other than practice getting up. We have Hydroslide boards and Liquid Force boards here. On the Hydroslide boards I can actually sit the board flat on the floor and the center of the board is off the floor as it is sitting on the fins. Good board to start with as it tracks great but it will face plant you in a second it you try anything else. The Liquid Force boards have tremendous rocker can roll them from end to end as the center is on the floor and the ends are over 2 inches off the floorwhile sitting flat on the floor (one has fins, Nemesis my kids board, and Shane my wifes board). Note they have rocker even with the fins on them. More advanced board but switches never cause the painful face plants. If you want a cheap board try to measure what rocker you have, try the board and after you get comfortable you could start shaving the fins down some.