PDA

View Full Version : Getting Up on Board

strickland7
06-19-2008, 03:34 AM
Just got my first Moomba a couple of weeks ago and love it. My borthers and I are trying to learn to wake board, but are having some trouble. I can remember getting up when I was in my teens, but haven't done it for years. I am currently just driving due to lots of stitches in my thigh.

What are your best ideas on the easiest way to learn. Acceleration rate, speed, technique, etc. Any help is appreciated on driving and boarding.

tlatoani
06-19-2008, 08:42 AM
I pull my knees to my chest. Front knee goes between my arms, back knee goes outside. I stay really crouched until I'm basically up. Let the boat do the work, don't fight it.

Driving is mostly feel for me. It doesn't take a ton of power.

kaneboats
06-19-2008, 10:36 AM
That's the easiest way Ive found too and I take lots of beginners out all the time. Take it nice and slow with the throttle too. Even if it seems slow to the driver it's a lot faster to the person at the end of the rope.

04OUTBACK
06-19-2008, 01:13 PM
THE BOOK DVD is great for learning from beginner to advanced..
also look into Detention 2012 from Shaun Murray

JesseC
06-19-2008, 05:04 PM
Where are you located and what lake do you ride on. I am sure somone on here might be able to hook you up and have you ride with them. It is also real easy to get people to ride behind your boat!

Eric Z
06-19-2008, 06:20 PM
Go to waketrix.com, good info for all levels

Dave A
06-20-2008, 09:20 AM
Pull a wakeboarder up like you would pull up an adult on 2 skies. I prefer a good quick pull, but not quite as hard as a slalom skier.

Dave

04OUTBACK
06-20-2008, 11:02 AM
Pull a wakeboarder up like you would pull up an adult on 2 skies. I prefer a good quick pull, but not quite as hard as a slalom skier.

Dave

I would err on the side of pulling up slower than faster.. I grew up skiing (behind an outboard) and when my wife tried to learn to wakeboard, I was pulling up her too fast.

NCSUmoomba
06-20-2008, 02:17 PM
I second the comment about "The Book" DVDs. But basically when the boat starts pulling, slide your butt to your heels and then stand up. I usually practice pulling people up against the platform a few times before they try it longline. They just lay in the water with the board up against (perpendicular) to the platform, give them the handle, and then pull the rope from inside the boat. If they do it right, they will stand right up onto the platform and they can feel what it is like to stand up on the board.

As far as driving, pull the person up gradually, but firmly. Slower than slalom skiing but faster than kneeboarding. For beginners, start slow, like 18mph or so. Also, if you are using Perfect Pass, don't overdrive the speed. That drives me crazy! As you accelerate, when you get to within 5mph of your setpoint, start easing back on the throttle. You want to meet PP at the set speed for a smooth startup. I have one friend that floors it and lets go of the throttle and lets PP take over. The boat gets to close to 30mph before PP can adjust the speed back down to 22mph. It is really annoying, and can be really scary if you are a beginner.