PDA

View Full Version : Perfect pass problems

MAPWPD
06-17-2008, 09:26 PM
Hey I have a 2008 Moomba Mobius LSV with a perfect pass, wakeplate, with 3ballast bag setup. I had a problem with the perfect pass and left ballast bag right as I brought it home. The screen was blank from the start. Then about five hours into the boat it came on and worked fine. Then the screen would disappear and still work. During this time the left ballast bag would only fill and never drain. Then it would come back on and right before I wanted to bring the boat for my 20 hour service and it stopped working all together. The dealer is an hour away so its a little annoying to drive but the closest to me and best deal on a wakeboard boat. The dealer's kid 23 worked on it and told me that the wires were zip tied to tight and that both problems seemed to be caused by this. He re-wired the harnesses and told me mooba and perfect pass would not pay for a lake test, but he was confident that he had the problem fixed. 2 boat hours later of everything working correctly and again no noise from the left ballast bag pump and the screen is blank again.
Anyone having similar problems or ideas, its aggrivating especially cause summer, new $$ boat, and hour drive.

wakevet
06-17-2008, 11:27 PM
I noticed that my perfect pass stopped working this weekend. Basically it tries to turn on when the boat is started, then it's like it shorts out and starts a high pitched alarm shrieking sound and the screen is blank. Since I'm getting used to having to fix things on my BRAND NEW 08 Outback V, I crawled under the dash and found the main control module for the perfect pass. After trying to push the plastic connectors in further it finally started working. Now it starts shrieking every once and a while and then I reach under and push on it and it starts to work again. It's like this boat was put together by kids and crazy glue. Maybe I'll need to start carrying duct tape around with me!

jester
06-17-2008, 11:38 PM
I feel your pain. I have had several things break on my new 2008 Outback V also. One was the PP system. Duct tape is always good to have around.

wakevet
06-17-2008, 11:42 PM
how did they fix the PP system? I have the wakeboard pro model and i've actually NEVER even used it for boarding yet (the ice just melted off some of our lakes!!). it just started screaming at me yesterday and after pushing the wires in and moving it around it started working again. it's like these boats aren't inspected before and after shipping to the dealers. makes me wonder if bigger names like Mastercraft and Tige have so many problems?

Geoffrey18
06-18-2008, 08:36 AM
I had the same problem w/my 06 Outback V. I ended up shipping the module off to perfect pass to have them test it. It tested good and they were stumped b/c when I got the module back I plugged it all back up and it started working. PP told me it was probably a relay that was stuck and got jared back loose in shipping.

jester
06-18-2008, 01:25 PM
With my PP system they replaced the computer unit. It was about a 5 min change out with just a few connections and a few screws. I have not had a problem with it since and hopping to never have another problem with it.

tprkolbas
06-18-2008, 02:08 PM
i also had a perfect pass problem in my new lsv this year. it basically quit working after 13 hours. the dealer took care of it, but apparantly there is a common problem with new systems installed at skiers choice. not exactly sure what the problem was, but some kind of module was ordered to correct the problem. i got lucky with getting that module - i was told that there was a 30 day backorder on them because it was such a common problem.

Sled491
06-18-2008, 10:06 PM
I've had my PP worked on 3 times by my dealer on my 07 with 45 hrs on it. Somebody some where is not doing there job.

csmsk
06-18-2008, 10:23 PM
The more I read about PP on these boards, the happier I am without it!

aerophoto
06-29-2008, 09:36 PM
Yep Love the boat 08 LS and today Pp went blank at 8.5 hours on the boat Guess it is another in a long list of things that should be done at the 20 hour mark However though because I am going a long way away next week I am thinking I should get it all done at the ten hour mark? Thoughts?:( I did ask at the dealer if the PP had the latest flash update and was told Yes.

Tyger
06-29-2008, 10:46 PM
I've had a buggle of trouble with PP on my '05 Mobius. When I demo'd the boat with the original owner, the screen went blank. He said he thought it was due to moisture and that it went away quickly. He power cycled the thing and it came back up.

After buying the boat, the speed part of the PP never worked, but RPM worked fine, which is ok for surfing. I went back and forth with PP support (who are very friendly and helpful, but not super-responsive in the Canadian tradition) and finally sent in the master module. They said the module circuit board was so corroded that they couldn't repair it, but they sold me a unit that had been used for bench testing for a good price (less than half of a new module if I recall).

Since getting the new module, speed and RPM work. However, speed will range a lot, especially with higher speed. At 9.3 for surfing it will vary over 1 MPH, which is a lot for a new surfer. At 20 for boarding, it will vary 4 MPH or more. Especially the lags at this speed make boarding tiring and untenable.

I'm still working with them to fix this problem (they think it's linkage), but no fix yet. If I have to buy a servo now, too, I'm not gonna be happy.

My screen has gone blank a couple times, too. It still seems to work just fine, although you can't change anything. A power cycle will bring the screen back for me.

Aquaholic
06-29-2008, 10:58 PM
Dealers are trained to say Yes......just stay on them to fix your troubles.

Aqua

tprkolbas
06-30-2008, 08:50 AM
i had my 20 hour service done at 14 hours because of my problematic perfect pass. the dealer said that wasn't a problem to have it done early. check with your service department first tho.

Sled491
07-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Just really got a real good bit of use out of our PP since getting our boat back this spring, you know high water and all. PP seems to be working perfect except it is calibrated a bit off. I know how to recalibrate but I'm scarred to fiddle with it just in case it starts acting up agian.

07-14-2008, 04:08 AM
22 hours on my 08 XLV and a boat full of 10 people, we hit the lake (Ghost Lake in Alberta) for a day of riding and surfing. I get the first rider out of the water and as soon as I reach the speed set on pp, the boat bogs right down and slows to a near stop, so I pull up the throttle and the rider sinks. A few seconds later it goes dead and that's it. I tried all connections and fuses, but it's definitley the pp. Aero, did you get your pp fixed at your service? Anyone have any advice on how to get this fixed the quickest? Dealer or pp?

Thanks.

Sled491
07-14-2008, 08:13 PM
Just check all connections first.

07-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Ya, I triple checked all the connections, but I think it's the module. My dealer has ordered me a new one. Wait and see I guess. I'll post when I get the new module.

yearround
07-16-2008, 08:47 AM
my pp went out last week after 50 hrs. my dealer said there has just been a recall on the PP. for now we will ride the old fashioned way, throttle control! i have not received an date for delivery of the replacement, but the module does remove easily.

Brian Raymond
07-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Guys/Gals- Sorry about the issues that some of you have experienced with your Perfect Pass in 2008 Moomba boats. We have seen a spike in the failure rate of the Prefect Pass DBW module. In researching the failures, we have found that one of the components inside the module was discontinued by the original component supplier. This resulted in Prefect Pass having to change to a new component. The new component has a slightly different functionality than the older version and could be damaged during the startup voltage surge. The issue has since been resolved and a service alert has been issued to all of the dealers. Skiers Choice feels they have identified most of the problematic boxes; however, there may be a few out there that we are not currently aware of at this time. We apologize for any inconveniences; the replacement is covered under warranty and can be done quickly and easily. Please contact your dealer if any of these symptoms occur. Brian Raymond

Sled491
07-18-2008, 10:23 PM
Thanks Brian,

I was out tonight and had PP problems again, kept retarding thrtottle and was causing backfiring into the throttle body. Seemed to corredt itself, but as I'm going in for service next week it will be good to know that if there is a problem my dealer will already be aware.

07-19-2008, 03:20 AM
Thank you Brian for being upfront about the issues and actually letting us know the details.

Levi.

07-22-2008, 03:04 PM
So my new PP module arrived and I installed it and it works great. The only issue is it has version 6.5 instead of 7.0 (No water temp on the screen, etc...) I called PP and spoke to one of the owners and he wasn't aware there was a version 7 and then told me that I couldn't get a module with version 7 that wouldn't blow again. I said "Well I purchaed a new boat for over $50k that came with the new version, it broke leaving me without it for a while and now my only option is an older version, that doesn't seem fair". His resposne was "I own a Malibu, a Mastercraft and a Nautique (wow, 3 boats) and they all cost more then your Moomba boat and I don't have water temp displayed on my screen". Huh.

Am I being a bit demanding to want a working version 7? It was interesting he didn't know anything about the features of version 7, yet he was one of the owners. I know they are short staffed and having a lot of issues this year, but why should the customer be the one to have it taken out on them? I've only ever heard great things about PP, I guess i need to lighten up.

04OUTBACK
07-22-2008, 05:51 PM
Can't you scroll through and see the temp on there?

I understand EXACTLY what you say about expecting to get the unit you paid for.
I believe I would ask for an upgrade/swap when available...

I understand if there is an issue not yet resolved, but give a brotha what he paid for!

aerophoto
07-22-2008, 06:01 PM
22 hours on my 08 XLV and a boat full of 10 people, we hit the lake (Ghost Lake in Alberta) for a day of riding and surfing. I get the first rider out of the water and as soon as I reach the speed set on pp, the boat bogs right down and slows to a near stop, so I pull up the throttle and the rider sinks. A few seconds later it goes dead and that's it. I tried all connections and fuses, but it's definitley the pp. Aero, did you get your pp fixed at your service? Anyone have any advice on how to get this fixed the quickest? Dealer or pp?

Thanks.

Sorry I missed the post 501 They replaced the module when i took her in But now the new one is finicky it comes on 90% of the time if it does not start I shut off the boat and restart and she is good to go I have yet to use it though so I do not know if it is working fully.

Bill

07-22-2008, 07:01 PM
If you have version 7.0 software (Always show's the water temp), it will eventually blow and you will need a new one. According the guy at PP, only the older module will work on the Moomba's due to starting voltage issues. Pretty lame.

Sled491
07-22-2008, 08:16 PM
$1000 bucks, if only! Does the 7.0 version control your wakeplate as well. My buddy got a new Supra 22SSV and his PP not only controls the usual things, but you can set personal wakeplate settings in it as well. So if Will surfs at 9.5mph you could always program that in, but now Will can surf at 9.5 and have his wakeplate at 50% all programed in and ready to go. Now I mention this because this past weekend we were not able to use his wakeplate becasue it would not accuate. Also earlier this week or end of last week Brian made a post about PP module problems steming from a suppier issue.

It seems our friends at PP are up to there eyeballs in it, I hope it works out sooner than later.

07-24-2008, 11:46 AM
Just wanted to post a follow up message. One of the owners at PP actually called me this morning and apologized for the issues and everything and is going out of his way to make it right for me. I have to say I was not only surprised but also very impressed. Class act. Nice to see!

Service is so important to people and it's good to know some people still want the customer to be happy.

aerophoto
07-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Just wanted to post a follow up message. One of the owners at PP actually called me this morning and apologized for the issues and everything and is going out of his way to make it right for me. I have to say I was not only surprised but also very impressed. Class act. Nice to see!

Service is so important to people and it's good to know some people still want the customer to be happy.

Thats GREAT let us all know how it go's as for a voltage problem I bet a resistor in line could solve that problem very quickly.

07-25-2008, 12:11 AM
I figured a zener diode or voltage regulator would do the trick too, but I'm sure pp has thought of this. I'll post the results.

Mikey
07-25-2008, 11:23 AM
Need help.Sitting here at the lake on holidays and low and behold my pp quit as well which is a shame as it was great for my wife/kids driving.
It seems to try to come on and is very scribbly/ almost black screeching but will not lock i n it seems. Is this the same problems most of you are having.Its an hr drive to the nearest dealer in Spokane , so i'm wondering is this likely a module issue as well , and is this something i can pick up and replace myself assuming they have parts.Or is it something i have to bring the boat to them to fix?
I bought pp this yr for my 07 boat and had my local dealer install it as an afterthought. I believe it is the 7.0 version.Just wondering what my best options are.

04OUTBACK
07-25-2008, 12:47 PM
Sounds like you need to call PP as the 7.0 is experiencing issues.

07-25-2008, 01:10 PM
I'd bet you will just need the replacement module. If they can ship it to you direct and you can avoid going through a dealer you will be up and running in no time. Its an easy swap (Unplug 2 wire harnesses and 2 screws to remove). Call PP.

Mikey
07-26-2008, 12:53 AM
Funny that you said that.As soon as i finished typing this that same thought occured and They are fedexing a new module to me as we speak.I could have upgraded to the stargazer as well but untill my unit crapped out i was happy so opted to stay the same.Anyway hopefully all is well.Its nice to get good service.Supposed to have parts by tues so hears crossing my fingers.

Sled491
07-27-2008, 09:39 AM
You know what's funny is that the 08 Supras still have the 6.5 version.

tazz3069
07-27-2008, 10:22 AM
I just installed the new star gazer in my 07' LSV . So far so good. I did have a problem witht he hook up. I did not see a wire loom that was hiding from me. After finding the loom, and hooked everything up, the system worked. We went to the lake and the system sems to be ok. I need to see how we can calibrate the slalom mode. I tried but it seems to to be working like it should. When I pull a skiier, without the PP on, I floor it then pull back. When PP is on, I floor it and PP picks it up leaving the skiier hanging on for dear life until the speed is reached. So far I really like the unit.

Mikey
07-29-2008, 08:42 PM
Fedex showed up with my new PP module and i dropped everything so i could get my BABY back up and running properly.I did everything as should be and then go to turn the power/key on and guess what? Totally dead.That really sucks.I was quickly on the phone to have another unit shipped out immediately.Back to driving the old fashoned way AGAIN.Just my luck ! Kinda like the windy weather. Gotta be ready to go at a moments notice or TOO BAD ROUGH WATER. Hope it gets better before end of vacation.