PDA

View Full Version : Fuel whistle

TL7
06-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Has anyone installed one of these? It seems like everytime I fuel up I get an inadvertent bath. I've tried listening to see if I can tell when it's getting close, and it works about 1 out of every 5 times. Just curious what you guys do.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=37390&pdesc=Fuel_Whistle&cname=Fittings-/-Accessories&aID=21G&merchID=1009&r=view

zabooda
06-17-2008, 08:06 PM
I listen for the gurgle gurgle. The whistle works while air is displaced in the tank through the vent tube so a fair amount of air has to be expelled to be effective. Slow pumping or air escaping around the nozzle would make this device less effective.

Razzman
06-17-2008, 08:12 PM
What year are your boats? On my '07 i just stick it and and it shuts off automatically everytime without spilling a drop.

pickle311
06-17-2008, 08:40 PM
My LSV shuts it of without spilling, unless I contiune to top off. My Outback would spray gas everywhere, I hated that. I would just step away from the boat and let it spray.

TL7
06-17-2008, 09:43 PM
My LSV shuts it of without spilling, unless I contiune to top off. My Outback would spray gas everywhere, I hated that. I would just step away from the boat and let it spray.

That's what mine does. 2007 Outback. Very annoying.

tazz3069
06-17-2008, 10:12 PM
Mine did the same thing. One day when I was filling up, there was another boater next to me. He also had a wakeboard boat. I had noticed that the fill handle was upside down. I had asked him why he fills it up that way. He told me that he got tired of the gas spilling all over the place. He said that filling it up this way stops it frill spilling out. So I tried it. Believe it or not, it really works. I thought it was silly to inseart the handle upside down. But seeing is believing.

TL7
06-17-2008, 11:11 PM
Cool I'll give it a shot. I don't understand the physics behind it though, but if it works that's good enough for me!

Buttafewcoe
06-18-2008, 09:04 AM
Interesting. Could it be because of the way the hose is curved between the cap and the tank?

zabooda
06-18-2008, 10:25 AM
Remember with these devices you add a level of complexity to the venting system that wasn't there before (hint: failure point). I would expect two one way check valves, one being the whistle that closes the opening to the size of two non-sparking reeds (hopefully not metal as risk of a spark) the other valve allows air into the tank during normal operation and shuts closed when air is exiting through the whistle.

kaneboats
06-18-2008, 10:35 AM
I've gotten splashed a couple of times with the OB. I have taken to varying the speed of the flow to let the venting catch up. As it gets close to full I slow way down. When it clicks off I quit then. I haven't been splashed in a while. I think I've noticed that when I'm forced to pull in on the wrong side when the station is busy and stretch the hose all the way across and put the nozzle in upside down I don't get splashed.

YellowMoomba0
06-18-2008, 04:02 PM
08 OB does not give me this problem... 04 did.. I assumed there was too much hose or too many turns from cap to tank etc. Used to take 20 min to fill it up.

jrich23
06-18-2008, 04:50 PM
How do you get to the fuel line to smooth it out? I have an 05 outback. Is it in the storage/sundeck area?

cj11302000
06-18-2008, 05:35 PM
My 2005 Outback sprays me with gas too and it's flippin' annoying. I keep meaning to open the access to the vent hose and try to straighten it out or do something!!

04OUTBACK
06-18-2008, 07:19 PM
I had 04 Outback.. Fuel hose was cut about 2" too long so it took a hard turn shortly after the filler neck.. Former owner told me he talked to dealer and they said the constant splashing of fuel was normal.. HAH AHHAA it took me forever to fill up..

I pulled the hose out and bought a new one and cut it a bit shorter so the transition was more of a curve than a 45. Worked MUCH better.

Sled491
06-18-2008, 09:52 PM
I've got no problems with my 07 Outback, but have read on more than one occaision about going in and cutting the filler hose a bit to fix the problem for boats that spit back.