PDA

View Full Version : hollow tower feet?

Miller_Time
06-16-2008, 10:07 PM
Hey guys, I'm going to be adding some tower speakers to the boat soon and started scoping out the boat, and I remember hearing something about the tower feet being hollow so you can run speaker wire up through them. But only the drivers side has a hole through the backing plate. Any of you guys have any experience with this?

I'm wondering if I take the backing plate off on the passenger side will there be a hole through the hull there into the tower leg? If so I can just drill a whole through the backing plate no problem. If not I'll have to fish the wire through the ski locker and go up the drivers side leg with the anchor light wiring.

cab13367
06-16-2008, 11:24 PM
miller,

I recently added tower speakers on my 2006 LSV. On my boat, there was already a hole in the middle of the backing plate and a corresponding hole on the bottom of the front, passenger side tower foot. All I had to do was drill a hole in the fiberglass between the two. Note that on my boat, the tower feet are welded to the tower tubing whereas I understand that on the 2007, it's bolted. Don't know about the 2008.

See link below for pics of my install.

Hope that helps.

Al

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=5467&highlight=tower+speaker+install

Miller_Time
06-17-2008, 02:06 PM
Thanks Cab, I might have to pull the backing plate and see what's under there. I don't really want to have to break down the tower though, I'm going to be doing the install on the lift and dont have the ability to hang the tower like you did, so if it doesn't have the whole on the passenger side looks like I'll be trying to fish the wire up the right tube.

BTW, great job on the install, super clean!

cab13367
06-17-2008, 02:40 PM
miller,

Someone else tried to do that without much success, as the hole is not big enough to accommodate the speaker wires in addition to the wire for the light that is already there. I guess you could pull the existing wires our, drill the hole bigger, and then try to fish the wires in.

Also, my amp is installed near the battery so it was convenient to go down the left side tower leg.

Finally, the tubing is not full width inside where the foot section is welded to the front down tube so you might have difficulty fishing the wire through that area unless you break down the tower.

Al

tazz3069
06-17-2008, 10:30 PM
Miller--
If the foot of the tower is bolted at the base, you can remove it easily. When I did mine, I removed the foot and put a really thick pad at the base of the tower arm so that I does not scratch the gelcoat. I had to drill a hole in the fiberglass to fit my speaker wires. Start small and work your way up. Its really not that hard.

Miller_Time
06-17-2008, 11:12 PM
Yeah my tower feet are welded to the feet, the bolt on feet are an option this year. Which means the whole bottom frame of the tower would have to come off.

I still may try the drivers side and if that doesnt work then i'll look into pulling the tower off. Or I may pull the anchor light wire out and drill the whole bigger and rerun it. I'll have to look at it this weekend and see what my options are. Its kind of annoying though because I was told by multiple sources that there would be a hole in the foot predrilled, and I'm not seeing one, unless its under the backing plate.