PDA

View Full Version : Gas Gauge

jmvotto
06-16-2008, 12:57 PM
I am having trouble relying on the gas gauge.

here's the scenario, Anyone have the same.

Got my oil changed 15miles away ( went well)

On my way back the gas gauge was approaching E so I stopped at the nearest gas dock. Put 10 gallons in ($4.85 gal) Just to get me Home (nervous about the E reading) now I have slightly above half tank.

Went to the gas dock near our cottage ($3.99 special) 17 gallons to fill up.(now 40 gallons total)

So my conclusion is that 20 gallons is a half tank and E respresented about 13 gallons. Is this consistent that there is a buffer. My Chevy Tahoe when on E is empty( proceed to gas station immediately) Any Thoughts, Reading boats gauges on gas is always hit or miss.

Razzman
06-16-2008, 01:02 PM
I filled my LSV up the other day and it also showed well into the "E". It took about 35 gallons so i'm assuming i have 5 gallons when shown empty.

tlatoani
06-16-2008, 01:53 PM
I still haven't figured mine out exactly, but it is definitely not very close. I've heard of people putting in a fuel flow meter. This sounds like a good idea to me, but I can't find the info on it.

Razzman
06-16-2008, 03:09 PM
I still haven't figured mine out exactly, but it is definitely not very close. I've heard of people putting in a fuel flow meter. This sounds like a good idea to me, but I can't find the info on it.

Overton's, Boat World and the like have them. They are somewhat expensive though at $170-200.

zabooda
06-16-2008, 03:26 PM
Does the V drives have the ability to visually check the tank. The tanks are somewhat transparent but on my DD the rear panel covers the tank. With the panel off you can see gas in the tank.

gsi09907
06-16-2008, 09:48 PM
when I toured the plant last year this was brought up and discussed, I was told that they try very hard to make the running out of gas scenario idiot proof... I was told they build the gauge reader thing(help) up off the floor a few inches so that it may read empty on the gauge but you still have about an eighth of a tank... they said they did this to cut down and the number of stranded boats.... thanks for looking out for us I guess... I have been that guy a few times in other boats and it sucks

later

BensonWdby
06-16-2008, 10:05 PM
My gauge varies by who is in the boat, where they sit, and how fast I am going. I never push it to empty.

04OUTBACK
06-16-2008, 10:28 PM
They ALL show E after the lower end of 1/2 tank.. and fluctuate while riding depending on angle..
Best thing to do is over the next couple of trips, log the hours and fill back up.. keep up with how many gallons you use per hour.. plan for variance for if you just ride or if you wakeboard or surf.. THANKS for the idiot proof part! I keep mine on trailer off water so i generall go to gas station after each ride unless it was a short ride and I know it is not very low... plus, it just does not hurt as bad when you run 15 gallons as when you run 30-35!!!
JMV,
You are correct about the Tahoe...somehow, trucks are a bit more accurate...part of it is they stay pretty level..

ian ashton
06-17-2008, 09:11 AM
My gauge also shows E with about 10 gallons in it. I like the idiot-proofness of it :)

BensonWdby
06-17-2008, 06:11 PM
My 'better get gas' indicator happens at run-time. If I pull a skier up and a few seconds later it dogs out intermittently or completely, I must drop skier and go gracefully to get gas.

Always carry a fully charged cell phone - helps to have a number of someone who would come get you.

Our lake is small enough that I could get someones attention and a tow home in probably about 15 minutes or less.