PDA

View Full Version : Another cleaning question

Kidder
06-16-2008, 12:46 PM
A buddy of mine who has a Air Nautique rubs his boat down with 1/2 windex, 1/2 vinegar. What do you guys think of that?

Razzman
06-16-2008, 07:12 PM
That's a supposed remedy to remove water spots, although i've never got it to work. I use Babe's Boat Products (http://babesboats.com/index.php) with great success. The water around here is extremely hard and the Boat Brite removes 95%, the rest i get with Spot Solver.

maxpower220
06-16-2008, 10:16 PM
Windex has ammonia, which has been recommended by many boat makers in the past. If you have mold on the vinyl, it is also good for that. Vinegar has been used by many for water spot removal. If you see success on your friend's boat, then use it.

04OUTBACK
06-16-2008, 10:23 PM
I had only heard of 1/2 water and 1/2 vinegar...

I use Babes boat bright on mine and like it... one of my friends with X30 uses Wax as you Dry I think from eagle1... He used it on mine a few weeks ago and did great.. I used it on my truck last week and had great success as well..

BW

Buttafewcoe
06-21-2008, 04:51 AM
I got turned on to that wax as you dry Eagle One stuff. Not made for heavy duty crud removal, but for general touch up and cleaning, it works real good. I've been using it on me CBR and areas above the rubrail and on the motor box.
Hope this helps
B

tazz3069
06-24-2008, 10:47 PM
i use hot sauce and vinyl sauce on my boat. bought it at the last boat show and am very happy with the results.
www.boatbling.net

zegm
06-24-2008, 10:57 PM
Tazz,

Are you sure you not talking about BBQ???? What will clean up the carpet??? MY is pretty nasty from a shop floor? OK don't say teriaki sauce either!

JoeTechie
06-25-2008, 12:39 AM
I use Resolve carpet cleaner. Seems to work well. Spray on, let bubble, scrub with a poly brush, then wipe off. Rinse well, let dry.

I've removed tree stains, pollon stains, and grease stains.

-J

kaneboats
06-25-2008, 09:30 AM
One of the best things for grease removal, especially if it's heavy, is good old fashioned dish soap. The kind you use to cut the bacon grease out of the frying pan. Apply liberally and scrub, repeat. Takes a lot of rinsing but it will cut a good amount of the grease and carry it away.

zegm
06-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Thanks guys! Once we vacuumed up what appeared to be a ton of concrete dust we don't see any stains. It seems like the tech was getting in and out of the boat to get tools often as the rubber mat on the trailer is also grey. Come Saturday morning while we are breaking in the engine we will take a bucket and some sort of cleaner and a brush and clean the carpet while we put the first couple of hours on the new engine.

ian ashton
07-04-2008, 12:37 PM
A buddy of mine who has a Air Nautique rubs his boat down with 1/2 windex, 1/2 vinegar. What do you guys think of that?

Great tip! I used straight white vinegar on our Outback and it looks like brand new, errr, it is brand new, but the vinegar got all the water spots off with ease, where most of the cleaning products I tried didnt work, or took tons of elbow grease.

GeauxTigers
07-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Ducky works wonders for me.

xlvgg
07-08-2008, 01:19 PM
I agree Ducky is great.

K_E_N
07-08-2008, 04:19 PM
I've been around boats my entire life (35years) and recently learned of a carpet cleaning tip. Wash carpet as usual. I generally use an automotive upholstery/carpet cleaner, scrub with a soft brush, and rinse liberally. I recently learned that as soon as you rinse, vacuum up the water with shop vac. Doesn't sound like it would make a difference but it did.
Now to try it beneath my rear sacks; carpet is getting pretty nasty beneath them.

Reese350
07-10-2008, 10:44 PM
Razzman,

I picked up some of the Boat Babes products for removing water spots tonight and I was amazed. My hull is dark blue and the water spots were terrible. Just spray it on, wait two minutes and wipe it off and it looks as good as new. Great product.

Thanks for the tip...

Scott

mattsmoomba
07-11-2008, 12:28 AM
Good Ol windex guys!!! does the trick everytime.

deeluk
07-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Echo all the recommendations for Babes here. I tried the vinegar and water thing. Didn't really work for me. Babes Spot Solver took them right out. Since then, I've been using Boat Brite and it has been keeping the spots off pretty well.

canuckskier
07-14-2008, 12:54 PM
I read right in the literature Moomba supplied that ammonia is not supposed to be applied to the gelcoat. I think it will do a good job, but might take some of the finish off.

I will quote the manual from CCP (Cook Composites & Polymers)

DO NOT use automatic dishwasher detergent, abrasives, bleaches, strong chemicals with acid bases or ammonia.

I would figure vinegar would fall into the acid-based category as well.

the website is www.ccponline.com if you would like more info.

gcombe74
07-14-2008, 03:54 PM
I have used vinegar\water - works.. but with some work! But this weekend I bought some ducky! that is where its at... very little work and comes right off! I use 303 on the vinyl and love it!