PDA

View Full Version : I knew It was 2 Good to be true

Hydrofoiljunky
06-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Hey guys, I'm on a 3 week lull do to weather so I figure during this 3 week period it would be a great time to install the second amp, the sub and the tower speakers. Anyways, I've got a Kicker ZX 700.5 running the sub and tower speakers, and the stock MX 200.4 running four interior speakers in the boat. I did put a second battery in the boat and bought a Perko switch but have not been able to install that yet. At any rate we finally get a break in the weather so I get up early because I'm all excited to get out there again :-) and get it unloaded, it fires up first try, I'm thinking what a great day to test the new system out, and finish breaking in the boat(Got 8 hrs on it) everything sounds fantastic, very happy with every thing, I open the engine compartment after I let the engine warm up to just make sure everything looks normal, Check the oil again, the Fuel Line leak Heads up (Thanks to whoever posted that) and just make sure everything is where it's supposed to be. So I put the cover back down, and start to accelerate, I hear a noise, shut her down, open the clamshell and the serpentine belt is just hanging there. Get out some tools, put the belt back on, try it again, it comes flying off everytime I go to accelerate, Under 5 mph it will stay on. Any ideas???? Checked everything, nothing is loose or seems to be out of it's designated place to run the belt. Have to take it to the dealer but I thought I'd pick ya'lls brain. Also, there is no play at all in the belt when it's on, it's really tight, maybe Too tight??? And last but not least, when just barely trolling under 5 mph to see if the belt was going to stay on, I would hear this awful sound from the alternator. I think I remember this from my old high school days when a guy would have to much power running with the stereo and th alternator couldn't keep up. Do you guys think this is what's happening? I'm not sure what amp alt is in there, Guessing 80 amp? In closure :-) Did you guys that installed aftermarket sound systems have to install a bigger alternator? You guys ever hear whining out of your alt??? Sorry for the long post

Chad

jkendall79
06-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Chad-As far as the engine goes I usually don't mess with it, i just take it to my dealer. With the stereo, is the whining noise coming out of the speakers, or directly from the alternator? I have about 1200 watts rms with my system and I don't have any problems, so I don't think you have too much power for your alternator to handle. When I installed mine, I had some engine noise coming out of the speakers when the engine was running; a couple of ground loop isolators solved the problem. You can get these at most stereo shops.

Hydrofoiljunky
06-14-2008, 11:36 PM
JK, it was coming from the Alternator, not the speakers, Sorry I should have clarified earlier, maybe because we were just practically idling for so long today with the stereo up. Do you notice a drain whenever your not up to cruising speed? After I installed my tower speakers and the sub in my garage I did Keep the radio on for a while which may have ran the battery down quite a bit and so maybe the alternator was just playing catch up? :-) I dunno.... I'm new to all this

Chad

tazz3069
06-15-2008, 12:10 AM
I have the MX700.2 and the 350.4 in my boat. I installed it myself. Dumb question. Did you hook the ground wire staight to your battery? Did you hook all the amps and amps only to the second Battery. Your Perko. Is the second battery on wire to #2. When you run the boat with system, are you running the perko switch on both. Make sure your RCA cables are not zip tied to the power cables. Check all this first. Get back to us if you still have problems. There could be something different. Try these first. In regards to the alternator, I have the stock on.

Hydrofoiljunky
06-15-2008, 12:51 AM
Hey Tazz, Right now I have everything running off one battery, I just have a new battery in there right now for a backup as I havn't installed the perko yet. Aside from listening to it after I got everything hooked up to make sure everything was working, I make it a point to everyone that is in the boat to not run the stereo without us being in motion. When I was motoring below 10 MPH right before the belt would fly off, I was at the 13.4 Volts on the gauge but when the belt was off it dropped down to like 11 with the stereo on, and I had to shut everything down, but it would always fire right back up and that's when the whining would start. It didn't do it all the time just maybe 2 or 3 times. I did ground the amp that I installed directly to the battery and I made sure my rca's are not near the power supply when I installed. I'm only running the Class D on the ZX 700.5 for the subwoofer and then 2 channels on the tower speakers. I have two available channels still on the 700.5 and was considering bridging the tower speakers but If I can't get this whining thing figured out with the Alt, I may have to do something different with the Alt. I did just read thru the manual again and It says the alternator is a 70 amp output @ 1200 rpm. Is that enough?? I thought I read somewhere that a 1000 watt system needs 80 amp to run just by itself, then you still have all your other electrical, blower, heater, nav lights, etc. This is making my brain hurt, I also read that, oh here I'll just post a tidbit :-)

"One of the best car audio innovations in recent years is Class D amplifier technology. Class D amps, which are typically used for bass only, operate more efficiently than standard Class AB amps, meaning they require less current to achieve their rated power. For instance, a 1000-watt Class D amp can hit its rated power with about 80 amperes of current and operate comfortably on about 10-20 amperes of current"

Thanks for the advice guys.

jkendall79
06-15-2008, 01:09 AM
It sounds like you have everything hooked up right, and your alternator should be able to handle your stereo system. Since the problems started when the serpentine belt came loose I'm guessing the alternator could possibly be damaged. I would take it to your dealer and have them check it out.

tazz3069
06-15-2008, 08:51 AM
In regards to your amps, Why do you have the two channel hooked up to the boat speakers and the 700.5 on the towers. I wired my 6 speakers amd sub woofer to the MX700.5. My MX350.4 amp is running the tower speakers. I also have four tower speakers. Get that belt fixed and wire up the perko switch and battery. \

I drew a blank on what it's called either parallel or in series. Its when you wire the positive of one speaker and the negative of the second speaker to the amp. While the second wire is hooked to the negative of the first speaker to the positive of the second speaker.

On the MX700.5, you can use just two RCA cables. Use channel 1 for the boat speakers. In the instructions, and this is what really sold me on this amp, it says that you can use channel 1 to run channel two. This will work only if channel two has no RCA on it. Then use a second set of RCA's for the sub output. By the way, are you using the stock stereo and an EQ or did you change out the HU with one that has multipule outputs. I change out my HU that has 3 RCA outputs and one of them is the sub output.