PDA

View Full Version : freezing temp./engine

barefooter
09-25-2003, 11:46 AM
Im concerned.

I was planning on winterizing my boat Oct. 4th, a week from Saturday.

The boat sits on a lift, out of the water, 8 hours from me.

Problem is, i noticed that the weather is going to dip into freezing temperatures (30 degress one night and 29 the other) twice before i get there.

How dangerous is this for my engine?....Is this reason to panic?

09-25-2003, 02:18 PM
Can you get anyone to throw a light bulb in the engine compartment just to be on the safe side?

pjtatro
09-25-2003, 03:41 PM
I was told by my mechanic that you have to be below freezing for at least 24 hours straight for any damage to occur. As long as the temperature goes higher during the day you should be alright. Of course, your mileage may vary........

zabooda
09-27-2003, 12:34 AM
I have had no problems at those temperatures mainly because of the hull and covering the engine will probably not see much if any freezing temperatures. Even if it did, the water in the engine would have to completely freeze to expand enough to cause damage. You would be more vulnerable in areas more open or surrounded by less mass such as your water heater and shower which at those temps still wouldn't be a problem. I had that same experience here in Washington State last year when an unexpected cold front came through when I was on travel. How times change..90's all this week and mid 90's over the weekend. So glad everyone put their boats away for the winter. Can anyone say...glass? Gives us an excuse to go to the beach and watch the Sea Chickens.. I mean Seahawks play. I wouldn't lose sleep over the temperature thing as long as it doesn't get much colder than that.

barefooter
09-29-2003, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the replys. I appreciate the thoughts.

I bet yur "Chicken Hawks" would beat up on my Chicago Bears! We have the Cubs right now---at least for a little while.