PDA

View Full Version : Mobius LSV / Outback LSV w/ Tower OR MasterCraft x-10

monkeywake
09-24-2003, 02:45 PM
I currently own a 2001 Maxum 1900sr w/ 225 mercruiser I/O -- the perfect boat for cruising. HOWEVER, this past summer I picked up a wakeboard and have never had so much fun. My friend owns a MasterCraft Maristar w/ tower and it completely ruined wakeboarding behind my boat (I think you all know why). Here is my dilema..

I believe Maxum to be one of the better bowriders in its category (yes SeaRay owners as good as yours). However, I find myself working hard on resale because of name recognition. If it was a SeaRay it would be sold by now and I would have a new ride. I've looked at Mastercraft's X-10 (the wakeboarding version of the maristar) and can't imagine spending $50k on a boat. From my research Moomba's LSV line is very similar in every way to the Maristar and the X-10 HOWEVER, I don't want to watch the value of my craft slam down b/c it is not a Mastercraft.

Did any of you consider this a problem? Anyone have suggested boats for a wakeboarding family? How about options? FInally, I live in Hudson Wi and would like suggestions on Moomba dealers that have helped you.

Thanks

Catdog1
09-25-2003, 03:08 AM
My opinion is that the prices of new boats in the Moomba line have been so significantly lower than new competitive boats that the Moombas are a good choice. Key fact is the Moombas have solid running gear and reasonable quality. If you want to participate in the sport, and the maxum can't be modified to throw a tsunami, then this is the economical entry. These boats have GM engines, solid transmissions, and structurally sound hulls with no wood stringers to rot away. They are reliable like my chevy truck.

I doubt the concept that the resale value of mastercraft, nautique and malibu is all that good, relative to initial purchase price. There may always be image-types that will pay more for a used nautique than the price of a new moomba, but I'll bet there are fewer than we think. I think the resale values are overstated and that the sellers in this Lexus/Mercedes segment are so proud they don't admit it.

On a 2 or 3 year-old Moomba trade, I think you would capture a somewhat higher percentage of original price than on a competitive higher-end boat. But its really hard to say. This segment is essentially brand new. Who would choose a used boat if the price of a 2 or 3 year old boat has not depreciated....when they can buy a new one instead? New boat dealers have access to 10 or 12 year financing that pushes the monthly payment on a new boat way down --- so a guy considering buying a used boat ( especially from a private seller, for which financing options are limited ) has to think really hard to rationalize a used boat. This continues to keep pressure on the used boat prices and fuels depreciation.
(Same for your maxum -- they have a great rep around here, but its too easy to buy a new one. Or a sea ray. Or a bayliner. Or even a grady).

Here's a counter-thought. It seems like wakeboard boats have exploded in the last 5 years as a segment. If this continues, then the price of new boats might escalate more, and a new one might suffer less depreciation because of this increase in demand and new-boat prices ( across makes ).

But then again, other manufacturers may enter. Entry threat to those selling in the segment might be the I/O manufacturer. Once you shift the motor to the back of the boat and the idea is wake generation, not suppression, every I/O maker might try to jump into the fray with some minor hull design changes and towers and make wakeboard-worthy boats at the sub $30K price point. My guess is that the wakeboard segment supply will escalate with demand, keeping resale values balanced. Said another way, innovation will be high. Just look recent notes on this board. People can't wait to see whats new for 04. Big buzz. Longer. New graphics. What does that do to 02 resale values?

One other interesting key will be marketing. Can sponsorships of X-athletes (and "official" board sport boat certifications ) keep the watercraft market focused on just the existing manufacturers, or will more enter?

I think you are doing the sensible thing to buy the Moomba wakeboard boat. I'd try to keep the maxum if possible. If not, just unload it and buy the moomba and don't look back. I don't think resale can be predicted.

Regarding Options: fuel injection is the way to go; also, if you tow much go with a 4-wheel trailer w/disc brakes ( may actually be standard these days). Pop-up stainless cleats are good. Heater and front tonneau cover would be good in your location. Bimini top to stay out of sun. All the sound equipment and speakers are highly questionable --- lakes down my way are exploring how to outlaw that stuff.

waterboy
09-25-2003, 05:27 AM
I can only add my own motivation for going with Moomba. I wasn't concerned with resale value, I knew I'd be keeping my boat a long time.
Moomba was my choice because of the positive comments from current owners on the message boards, and the low price. I was able to buy my 01 Outback LS loaded for half of what the "big 3" wanted.
My boat has had no problems in 2 years except for a tach malfunction that the dealer took care of right away. We use our boat every weekend, even through the winter, and it rocks. It still looks brand new and runs like a bear. It's obvious that Skier's Choice has made a serious committment to customer satisfaction, and they have earned my loyalty in return.
If you do go with Moomba, I certainly agree about getting the EFI, also the hydraulic wakeplate is a nice addition to have. It makes the slalom skiers very happy.
Good luck with your decision, and happy wakeboarding!

Brian

purplepower
09-25-2003, 02:34 PM
There is no doubt the past history indicates a better resale with the Mastercraft. However I agree with the comments above. The industry was fairly static until the demand for better wakeboard boats became evident. Now every model year brings more radical ideas and improved design. I think that as long as Moomba delivers the goods and improves the dealer support (that is the key) they can compete with all established names. The factory has to remain committed to customer satisfaction long term.
Tony

monkeywake
09-25-2003, 03:45 PM
Is Moomba lacking in service to their dealers? To be honest, I am not impressed with the dealer I am working with to buy from. They lack knowledge of the product and pricing information takes awhile to turn around.

My friend has had some trouble with Mastercraft -- however his dealer has been very supportive with his problems.

I would like to change the focus of this string. I am using resale as a measure of a boat's quality within its class. There are some differences between the X-10 and the LSVs. Did any of you consider a "big 3" b/c of those differences or did you feel the Moomba's are just as good and should, in reality, be worth the same?

I think I am struggling with the "if it is too good to be true, then it isn't true" aspect of a Moomba retailing for $10-12K less than a Mastercraft and AirNatique.

I appreciate all of your input and look forward to hearing more.

Catdog1
09-25-2003, 05:35 PM
I think the within-class functionality is equivalent. Design asthetics are equivalent and recognized as such.

I've owned the 99 outback through 5 full seasons and have about 350 hours. Its a hoss, even with the carb set-up. Mechanically its very good. Solid transmission. Available parts. I've completely dissassembled the interior twice for detailed cleaning. Changed the oil. Packed the gland nut. Changed the exhaust flappers. Changed impellers, props, fuel filters. Winterized it myself. Materials are pretty good. Fit and finish could be better ( may have caught-up with big 3 by now ). Biggest complaint is that some interior stainless fastening screws have sharp points that stick into storage areas. Others are too long, without locknuts. Should be short through-bolts with nyloc instead. Check this on new ones. Have a little bit of hull flex, no real issue, but newer designs appear much stronger and have much more freeboard and can handle rougher water than my outback.

I don't think its a case of too good to be true. Its real. I'd buy the same boat again. In fact, I'll probably keep this and try to pick-up a low hour Kanga for my kids in the next year or two.

If you have the money and are a perfectionist or a big analysis/comparison guy, buy the nautique and you'll be happy. Dealers sound like local hit-or-miss situations. Again, its your expectations that count. Thats my last word on it, am interested in what the newer boat buyers say about quality comparison.

waterboy
09-26-2003, 05:00 AM
Personally, I never considered a new boat from the big 3, just too much money. While my 2001 Outback does not have the luxurious interior of a Natique or Malibu, that's the only difference. My boat is loaded with options and cost a lot less. No complaints with the dealer or Skier's Choice, I couldn't be happier with the way I've been treated as a customer.

Brian

sextons
09-26-2003, 11:56 AM
Hi,
I have a 2003 Mobius LSV and live in the Twin Cities, I'm assuming you're dealing with someone from here, if so let me know where.

I've ridden behind an X-10 and from a wake standpoint I like our LSV better. The X-10 has a little more bling bling on the interior but for $20,000 more is the extra crome worth it?

We've gotten nothing but possitive comments on our boat when we've been out and people really love ridding behind the boat.

jburnside
09-26-2003, 01:02 PM
Monkeywake,
When shopping for our new boat I looked at the big 3 and others. Price did play a big part in my decision, but I really did like some of the features and roominess of the Moomba line over the big 3 boats. And of course you always come back to the fact that Moomba is significantly cheaper than those other brands. We bought an '03 Outback LS and put just under 50 hours on it so far. Absolutely no problems. As far as fit and finish goes, Moomba has certainly gotten better in the last few years (looking at older models). I'd say my boat is just as tight as any Malibu on the water. The interior plushness is the only real differnece I see when I compare my boat with the big 3. I get great comments every time were on the water. Buy the Moomba, you'll love it. Good luck.

DCM
09-26-2003, 01:29 PM
I think if you really look at the aspects of it, it's aboat, your going to ride behind it, drink beer in it, and enjoy family and friends in it. If that was me I would be a lot less stressed if I knew I was doing all that to something that cost $30k than something that cost $40-50k. I had an '03 Outback and put about 50 hours on it before I sold it, and didn't have a problem out of it, solid boat.
I'd rather have a used car that looked good, ran great, and was dependable, than a car that was new, had a high payment, and I had worry about everytime I took it out somewhere. All boats have problems, not all dealers are the same, it's all about what you want and can be happy with.
Just food for thought.

monkeywake
10-14-2003, 02:30 PM
Thanks to everyone for their responses. I just sold my Maxum today and look forward to buying my next boat -- hopefully. the perfect wakeboard boat.

It is true that I'll ride behind it, drink beer, and hang out with friends. But you could do that behind an alumacraft -- so why did you spend 20k more to by your moomba?

DCM
10-14-2003, 04:31 PM
I could have spent $15k and got a nice runabout, but I chose to spend $25k and get a boat that was tailored to my water needs. I knew I would be skiing and boarding, but I also knew I could get a quilty boat for less than the big 3 charge, an it would do all the same tricks. So that's why I bought a Moomba. I'm upgrading to a Mobius LS for next year, didn't realize all the buds would like boarding so much. Can't keep them of the thing now! Good luck with your purchase.

10-14-2003, 04:58 PM
Orginally posted by monkeywake

Thanks to everyone for their responses. I just sold my Maxum today and look forward to buying my next boat -- hopefully. the perfect wakeboard boat.

It is true that I'll ride behind it, drink beer, and hang out with friends. But you could do that behind an alumacraft -- so why did you spend 20k more to by your moomba?