PDA

View Full Version : Stereo cutting out at high volumes

MinnetonkaMobius
06-10-2008, 01:49 PM
Purchased my 2000 Mobius V about a year ago and havent had any problems with the system until last week. Sometimes it works at low volumes but when I turn up the volume, the speakers will cut out with the subs still continuing to hit. Other times the speakers will not work at all, even at low volume.

I bought the boat with all of this equipment already installed and as you can tell I have little experience when it comes to workiing with stereo systems.

Equipment:
Head Unit- Pinoneer
In boat speakers- Polk Audio
Tower speakers- Sony Xpoldes
Subs- 10'' Kicker, 12" Rockford Fosgate
Amps- Not sure on the wattage of each but I can check if this could be the problem

Any one have any clue why this might be happening????
Thanks for the help!

Razzman
06-10-2008, 01:53 PM
Sounds like a ground issue. That's the first thing i'd check.

MinnetonkaMobius
06-10-2008, 01:57 PM
I checked the ground wire and it seems to be solid.

tlatoani
06-10-2008, 02:48 PM
There should be a ground wire going to each amp. If the sub keeps going, then that amp is probably ok. Check the others. Are they all grounded to the battery directly?

teamctl
06-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Try turning down the volume on both sides of your amp. Then slowly increase the volume to the sweet spot. I have a hunch that one side of your amp is turned up too much.

calpal10
06-11-2008, 01:58 PM
I had some issues like this last year, two things were wrong: 1) bad battery - crackling sound out of speakers at low and high volumes, once i replaced it, it worked great except 2) 1 set of outputs on the back of the deck were bad. I think it was just from use, bouncing from waves and moisture?? replaced both and back to 100%.

MinnetonkaMobius
06-12-2008, 11:31 PM
I just replaced the battery, but I am still looking to replace the outputs on the back of the deck. Where were you able to buy new outputs for your deck? How did you find out which were bad?

mjhackett82
06-17-2008, 11:17 AM
I had this problem last year on my tower speakers. It turned out it was my through hull connection (not as waterproof as I thought and the terminals were rusty). I rewired with out using the plug and went straight to the amp and it fixed the problem.

jimmygjr
06-17-2008, 12:05 PM
I have had issues like this to. If they are playing at low volume then cutting at high volume then it could be the load from the speakers is to low. From the factory my mobius had 6 speakers installed on the factory radio. Two on the front and four on the rear. Since the four on the rear were wired in parallel the ohm load was to low and that overloads the radio. You could add another amp or change the way the speakers are wired and put them in series.

I would still check all of the connections and if you want to trouble shoot, pull out the two speakers on the rear. The last one on each side, unhook them for a minute and play the stereo and see what happens. If it works with those unhooked then it’s the load. Make sure the ends of the wires that you disconnect are not touching while playing.

MinnetonkaMobius
06-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the help but I solved the problem last night. The problem was a corroded fuse and fuse holder. I overlooked the obvious on this one. Bought a new fuse and holder and now it sounds better then ever. Thanks for all the help.