PDA

View Full Version : Right or wrong I still feel good

tarkus70
06-09-2008, 10:57 AM
So we are sitting on the beach Sunday and 4 jetski's pull up. They beach and unstrap a wakeboard. This one guy is trying to get up on the board and can't. So my buddy Tom and I head over and start talking to the guy and he is saying all he could afford is the used jet ski so he could wake board that's all he wants to do. So we try to help him out and give him some pointers, didn't go well. So I say get in the boat and we'll give you a pull so you get the hang of it. He gets out of the water third try. I'm feeling good. We get back to the beach and he goes and tries it behind the jet ski boom up the first shot. Now i feel really great.

Then some idiot comes over and starts on me about how I was wrong to do that now we have to put up with him jetskiing and wake boarding around the beach. Mind you they took off and stayed away from the beach. This guy went on and on to the point I tuned him out and just stared at him till he was done.

The kid comes back and can't thank Tom and I enough offers me Twenty for the gas I decline and say We all have to share the water read up on some of the boards and see what pisses off the boaters and don't do those things and we can all get along. He says he will and hopes to see us out here again. Next time he gets a pull he pays :)

I was not wrong

kaneboats
06-09-2008, 11:11 AM
What my wife and I always try to teach the kids is don't let other people decide who you are. You decide.

I would have done and have done exactly what you did. I would much rather have people (yes, even jet skiers are people) learn about the sport and learn the etiquette of it with understanding and respect than by being yelled at across the water. We do have to share the water. I can't tell you how many times I have seen the fishermen (who mostly despise the recreational boaters) towing somebody in when they need help.

The better we all communicate the more friendly it will be out on the water. We are all there to have a good time. I think being part of the solution is way more fun than being part of the problem.

You get an A+ from me on this one.

Razzman
06-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Right you were Tarkus :D Education is the key to everyone getting along and as the waterways get more crowded it will become even more important. I have to congratulate you for that as well as holding your tongue with "Mr. It'sAllAboutMe", I would have had a few choice words for him myself. :D

SanMarzano
06-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Good deal I think ya did the right thing!

kaneboats
06-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Well, you can yell at people who act like that but it won't change their mind. I like to tell them that I understand their sentiment and why they feel that way. Then I ask them if I can give them something to think about. They always agree to at least think about something. Then I ask them a profound question to take home and ponder like, "Do you really think that approach will work in the long run or do you think it just might be better to teach them what we are trying to do and explain why certain things can tee us off, you know, create a better sense of community out here so we can all have fun?" If they start coming around I say something like, "Imagine if a bunch of jet skiers all got the message from us in a friendly way that we want them to stay away from our water when we're boarding but it's ok to play in our wake when we're tubing as long as they don't get too close to the kids."

Or how about-- "Imagine if all you could afford was a used jet ski- would you still want to come out here? I didn't always have this boat either."

I learned a lot of this on the golf course where decent golfers forget how bad they were when they were learning the game. Just about everybody who can hit a golf ball had somebody or many others that put up with them and patiently played along while they learned the game. They key is the etiquette. If we aren't patient enough to teach it we can't reasonable expect people to observe it.

tarkus70
06-09-2008, 12:09 PM
I just felt this kid was getting upset and needed a helping hand. As far as the guy with the big mouth I was going to say something but you know it's not worth arguing with a Moron. I have no time for it and I was feeling real good about myself for helping the other kid out. I was not looking to teach this kid about boating and getting along it kind of just happened. Just thought it was a good story and felt like sharing

04OUTBACK
06-09-2008, 12:37 PM
2 years ago, I bought a Sea Doo and learned to wakeboard.. 2 months later I was shopping for a boat and bought a used outback.. Chances are, he'll do the same! And be a great particpant in the sport. I get a little frustrated with people who screw up the riding with pwc's, bass boats, and tube pullers... but, i know we all share the water and I don't make issues with them, unless they do something STOOPID...

Good job Tarkus.

jmvotto
06-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Tarkus70,

I applaud your efforts and the reserve on the tongue lashing this moron deserved, Last I knew water sports are for everyone, as kane said just be respectful and obey the water rules ettiquette. Everyone is a beginner sometime.

wakevet
06-09-2008, 01:09 PM
what a great story. there are so many great people on this site, and we're all crazy boat owners!! i would have done exactly the same thing if i were in your shoes, great job! if the world had more people like moomba owners that can show others respect, patience and a willingness to help out another person in need; it would be a better world indeed.

c.rix
06-09-2008, 01:50 PM
You did the right thing! every one of my friends that have had jet skis had them for the same reason as him they are cheap. As soon as they can afford even a nice used boat they never look back. Everyone needs to start somewhere!

tazz3069
06-09-2008, 09:40 PM
I agree, you did the right thing. Right or wrong, there is no question. I would have done the same thing. I think that mst of us were in there shoes at one time. I am 39 years old and just purchased my first new boat last year. I also did the jetski thing. The problem with that was they were not mine. They belong to a friend of mine at the time.

You get my applause.
Mark

zabooda
06-09-2008, 11:05 PM
I would have done the same thing. I would rather have people up and boarding and having fun then have them doing circles near the shore trying to get someone up. Share the water.

tarkus70
06-10-2008, 08:26 AM
Share the water.

And there you have it.

This is my new signature

kaneboats
06-10-2008, 09:13 AM
Love it! Congratulations!

98outback
06-10-2008, 12:04 PM
We have an outback and 3 jet skis. We hava a summer lake house here in Florida and there are plenty of other jet skis on the water with the boats. But for the most part the people are courteous when riding. They dont follow behind the boats or riders. They keep their distance.

tarkus70
06-10-2008, 03:33 PM
I agree there are alot of jetskiers that do the right thing. That's not what it's about it's about getting along and helping someone get into the sport. Just cause this knucklehead was in my face just made me feel better.

It's all Good

moombadaze
06-11-2008, 11:35 AM
you did good, we all started at some point.

now can you do the same for the jackass driving the orange ski centurion on my lake -he damm near sank my boat last weekend

tarkus70
06-11-2008, 04:00 PM
Air soft works every time :)

moombadaze
06-11-2008, 04:16 PM
air soft? explain please

tarkus70
06-11-2008, 07:48 PM
air soft? explain please

Paint ball

hiqualityH2O
06-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Tarkus no question you did the right thing. It's all about respect and leading by example!