View Full Version : Getting sick of the wind

06-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Every weekend my family and I plan a nice day at the Lake. The baot is packed and gased up. We drive about 45 min to the lake. We get there and the wind is blowing. Maybe I need to trade my boat in for a Boston Whaler. JK I love my boat I just hate the wind here. I should know better. If it is breezy at my house then it means that it is crazy on the Lake. Well back in the garage it goes. I guess we will try again next week.

06-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Tell me about it Tazz. I live in the SF Bay Area, and it seems like we've had a delta breeze for about a month. I tried to go out 2 weeks ago, but there was so much wind there were white caps on the lake. Not fun! Tomorrow's supposed to be a little better though, so I'm gonna give it a shot.

06-07-2008, 05:41 PM
We have the same thing here in Texas. for the last two weeks we went out but it was only good for tubing. and today we had gusts to 30mph, did not even bother trying. Tazz, here is a website I use to watch the wind forcast, it may save you a trip to dissapointment.



06-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Cali's central valley has been steady 15+ with gusts to 35mph for two weeks now! I'm buying a sail!

06-07-2008, 07:09 PM
Hey Tazz
I feel your pain, I live to the south east of you in Az. It has been blowing like crazy here for what seems like forever. Heck it hasn't reached 115 yet and we are almost in the middle of June. I don't dare go to lake when windy because wife hates to trailer boat when breezy, she gets a little nervous. I told her as soon as she learns to back in trailer I will be more than happy to trailer boat.I really can't complain about weather though.Got to take my 9 year old golfing today, I have not played in a while, shot 3 over 74 from tips, he shot 90 from whites. Can't buy break from wind though, Hardly any time for lake anymore with travel baseball and me being assistant coach,almost ready to sell LSV cause I don't use anymore lol.

06-07-2008, 07:14 PM
Here I thing it was just that dependable ND wind! It has been very windy all spring. I have had the boat out 3 times where I would normally have been out at least 10 -15 times by now.

Yeah, between high gas, the river running a little on the low side, and this friggen wind (20mph today) kite boarding is starting to look like a good option!

06-07-2008, 07:55 PM
Heck 2 days ags a Tornado touched down 2 minutes from where I lived, and the wife was driving around when the warning horns went off, she and the kids were buy a hospital and ran in with a bunch of other people and stayed in the basement for about 15 minutes.

Today on the lake 20 - 30 mph winds, try getting your boat back on the lift with side winds like that. tubing only. Dropeed the wife off at the parking lot for our association and headed back for an extra hour with the kids. Guess what, another Tornado came ripping through, just minutes after I put the boat away and got off the lake.

Obviously this is a country wide conspericy

06-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Same crap in IL. Tomorrow is supposed to be 20+ but I think we're going anyway :P

06-08-2008, 08:27 AM
I have my eye on the weather. It is supposed to be 100 degrees in Las Vegas and about 105 to 110 degrees on the water. So Far no wind in the forcast. That could change. We are going to give it a try again. I see by reading this thread that I am not the only one with this problem.

06-08-2008, 09:36 AM
We're having the same wind issues here in AR as well. Went out yesterday and found one smooth spot to board. The only problem with it was all the tubers wanted the same spot. They can't get past the idea that they can tube on ruff water. They see my boat coming and it's like jet skis, big wake to pull the tubes over.

06-08-2008, 10:01 AM
I drove by Chicot Thurs eve at sunset.. whitecaps! Today seems calm.. we are planning to head out after church..


06-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Another day waisted. Very Windy again.

06-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Just got back from New Hogan Lake. No wind. 85-90 degrees. Great weekend. Sorry to hear about everyone's shitty weather woes.

You guys in CA need to do some research and hit the delta waters. I know of at least four really good spots to ski at, no matter what the surrounding winds are like. Two of which are in Stockton, some others are in Discovery Bay, Knightsen, and Isleton.

The wind/temp. haven't kept us at home at all this year. Hope you guys can start gettin' out soon.

06-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Man, your got the winds and we got rain and tornados. Had to go to the lake this morning, in fact just got home. More servre thunder storms this morning, and plenty through the night as well. Got to the lake decided to risk crossing to the island, rain, lightning and wind. Got over to my place and 1/2 of my dock sections had floated away. Water went up almost a foot over night. By the time I got all the sections recovered and removed the others the rain had stopped, however forcast for more rain over the next 3 days. Lake level so high right now, slow no wake in effect for whole lake!!

06-09-2008, 07:40 AM
I drove by Chicot Thurs eve at sunset.. whitecaps! Today seems calm.. we are planning to head out after church..


It's been whitecaping for alomost 2 weeks. Smooth around 6 am and then gets rough. I'm going to Ouachita on Thursday. Hope I can find a smooth cove there.

ian ashton
06-09-2008, 09:33 AM
Heck 2 days ags a Tornado touched down 2 minutes from where I lived, and the wife was driving around when the warning horns went off, she and the kids were buy a hospital and ran in with a bunch of other people and stayed in the basement for about 15 minutes.

Yesterday we got off the lake at about 4:30, at 4:35 we had monsoon type rain, and 40-50mph gusts of wind. Driving out of the marina a tree fell 10 feet in front of my car, I had to sweve into the ditch to avoid it! Luckily no damage was done, but talk about scary, we got off the water at just the right time; didn't even see the storm coming. Unfortunately a few of my friends we not so lucky and got caught in the storm on the lake.

I'm not sure if it was a tornado or what, but there are downed power lines, broken trees, and all sorts of stuff all over the streets.

06-09-2008, 10:13 AM
It's no better in CT wind wind and more wind. On Saturday we got some calm about 45 min. Before the sun went down. On the bright side I'm getting really good at wakesurfing,and having a blast, cause that's all the water is good for.

ian ashton
06-09-2008, 10:21 AM
We are fortunate in that there are a couple of bays that usually stay pretty calm even when its windy or the rest of the lake is rough, the only thing to worry about are the damn jetskis...

06-09-2008, 10:22 AM
OK here in Pamana City it has been non-stop wind for months. No one is going out fishing in the gulf unless you have a 30 footer or bigger. We have had double red flag days on the beach every weekend. I did hear about a month ago that it would be a windy year, something to do with La Nina or El Nino, you know one of those Latin named weather patterns. I might try to do some research on this. Hasn't stopped us on the lake as we have a long narrow cove that is somewhat sheilded from the wind. But it does drive all the other boats in the cove so it is getting crowded. Didn't matter this weekend as the boat is a yard ornament now due to oil filter issues. Waiting for the call from the dealer this morning!

06-09-2008, 09:49 PM
I guess everyone suffer the same dilema. I really hope it stops. I need to get the boat on the water. We are planning a big trip to Northern Calif in July. We are going to Lake Don Pedro. Big family trip. We have been going there for over 35 years now. I really do not want to drive 9 hours to have crappy weather. We are going to try it again this weekend.

06-09-2008, 10:14 PM
I feel your pain. It's the same way for me. I have only one lake within an hour of me and it's a tiny lake. Any other lake is over three hours away. It really sucks when you check the weather, load up, gas up, and drive all that way just to have to wind blow for two days. We've started bringing fishing gear and fishing for catfish from the bank while we wait out the wind. It's a real bummer!

06-10-2008, 10:22 AM
I might doing the same thing. I need to have a few set of fisshing rigs on the motorhome for me and my son. Just in case we can not go on the water. I do remember last year my wife went to get the truck and trailer. The wind was so bad that when she jump out of the boat and onto the dock, well that just say she did not make it. Missed the dock and right into the water. Yes, I was in BIG trouble. My dad told me to run to the hills and never look back. HAHAHA LOL

06-12-2008, 11:32 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen of the Moomba world. The wind has finally stopped. We will be taking the boat out this weekend for the first trip of the year. I hope I did not jump the gun by saing this.

06-12-2008, 11:36 PM
Good luck Tazz.

PS if you need any water for your lake let us know. Our lake is up almost a ft. in less than a week. We got over 9 inches or rain in a week with 7 inches in 15 hrs!

06-13-2008, 12:05 AM
Man, I thought we were just having a miserable season here in Colorado. Wind has been absolutely insane! We've been soldiering through it tho. Work on the weak side riding skills I guess. What a slow start to the season. Let's all pray for a super long, hot Indian summer. The runoff from the mountains finally started flowing here and filling up the local lake. Dropped the temp quite a bit but we need that water level to rise to make it through the whole summer.

06-13-2008, 12:11 AM
Sled, I think that we have enough members here to put lots of water hoses together. Put one end in your lake and one in mine. Help a brother out.

Deeluk, I know what you are talking about. I was there with my family a few weeks ago. A tornado came through and ripped a town in two. We were about 20 min away from that. Rough times.

I hope this bad weather if over. We all really need to hit the water again. I think my boat is going crazy. She needs to get wet.

06-14-2008, 09:45 AM
Tazz, hope you get out for fathers day weekend! I got about 300 - 400 ft of hose and a gas transfer pump, will that reach? Boat has now been removed from lake, water too high to risk leaving on lift.

My middle son suggested this morning that the cooler in the Outback could be easily converted to a live well for fishing. 6 year olds, what ya gonna do?

06-15-2008, 12:17 AM
The winds finally stopped. we went out for an awesome day on the water.

06-15-2008, 10:40 AM
Great news Tazz....nead any water?

06-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Yes still need water.

06-15-2008, 02:40 PM
Wind Wind and more wind, all day for three days straight!

We went on our annual Fathers Day weekend trip to KY, and the wind blew from 10am to 6pm every day! Last night I wanted to get out and make a few runs between 6 and sundown, apparently eveyone had the same idea, the wind died down and the whole world came back out for one last run. So the water was crap!

Oh well, maybe it will quit soon!

06-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Funny about the wind.. Saturday was awesome. Got some great sets in. Today was a different story. It is nuts out there now.

06-24-2008, 04:21 PM
Well Tazz, the wind has finally stopped here in Nor Cal. But now there's so much smoke in the air from all the wildfires burning, you can barely see the sun! We're not having a very good start to the summer. Next week is July 4th weekend so hopefully everything will clear up.

06-24-2008, 07:40 PM
My sister, who lives in Sana Rosa, told me about the fires up there. If it is not one thing it is another.

06-26-2008, 02:26 AM
We live in an extremely wind area of Southern California so to use the boat at all, we hit the lake early sometimes by 6:00am and we are done by time the wind comes up around noon. If it gets to bad we break out the tube for the kidos. Happy sailing!

07-07-2008, 03:11 PM
I feel lucky to live in SC. Wind hasn't been too bad this year. There always seems to be a cove to board in. I have more problems with tubers and jet skiers.

07-07-2008, 03:43 PM
Just got back from Flaming Gorge on the Utah/Wyoming border. We had four awesome days out there. Well, 3 really, one of those days only counts half. We went out exploring before getting the kids on the wakeboards and as we approached the dam (30 miles east of our campsite), we got caught in a huge rainstorm and hailstorm (ouch!). I have never been cold like this on a boat or more scared for my life. I had to be the tough one telling the kids everything would be all right. It lasted for about 2 hrs and then the sky just turned blue and the sun came out. We spent the rest of the day wakeboarding, skiing and tubing. What a day!!! The next day, we got out and found a bay with hardly another visitor all day long and we took turns between doing water sports and jumping in the water to cool off. Water like glass ALL DAY LONG!!

Life is great!!

07-07-2008, 11:43 PM
GT, sounds like just an awsum weekend. Don't ya just hate being a boat owner?

07-07-2008, 11:47 PM
The wind here is gone. 4 weeks in a row was great. We will be going to Arizona this weekend in my Broth-in-laws new boat. Yes another SC owner. He bought the Launch SSV24 Supra. Hope the weather is good. If not, we can get some hours on his boat.

07-08-2008, 08:48 AM
The wind here is gone. 4 weeks in a row was great. We will be going to Arizona this weekend in my Broth-in-laws new boat. Yes another SC owner. He bought the Launch SSV24 Supra. Hope the weather is good. If not, we can get some hours on his boat.

You going to Havasu?

07-08-2008, 09:09 AM
Yes. We are going after my brother-in-laws water test. Roughly about Noon or so. We are renting a house about 4 miles from the lake. $300.00 for the weekend.

07-08-2008, 06:25 PM
I have had the same problem with wind in Houston. I, too, thought it was just me.

You guys all need to check out wakesurfing. The wind doesn't bother you unless it gets really bad. Otherwise you are so close to the boat that it smooths everything out.

I have found the weather station for the lakes that we normally go to for boating, so I can see the actual wind speeds on the lake. If you search around, you can usually also find a webcam of your favorite lake or even cove. That way you can see the whitecaps (or lack thereof hopefully) before you pack up the boat.

My wife and I both have these bookmarked on our mobile phones and check frequently on a planned boating day.