PDA

View Full Version : My Friend Sank His 2009 Tahoe in The River!!!

AaronWhitt82
06-03-2008, 12:47 AM
Well what started off as a great day for me yesterday ended up being alot worse for one of my friends.
I launched my boat around 1PM and as I got out into the River one of my friends showed up in his brand new 2009 Chevy Tahoe he just purchased a month ago along with his 2004 Tahoe boat.
Well I took about a 1/2 mile cruise down the river to a boat club to pick up a few other friends.
After I picked them up I headed back over by the boat ramps to see if my friend got his boat launched yet and.........
I pull up and see his boat floating and running about 100 feet down from the ramps, but no one is in it and I see him over on the shore yelling and flagging me down.
He said to go get in his boat and bring it back over to him so I had my girlfriend drive up to the boat and I jump on it and drive it back over to the boat ramp.... I asked what happened and he said the rope got loose from the shore and it floated away on him so I said OK are u gonna come get on it???
He said no, go take it to the boat club and tie it up because I need to leave it there for a few days and I said why? What happened?
He said while he had the boat backed in the water; running to warm it up, he ran a rope from it to the shore to keep it from floating away and when he got back in his Tahoe to pull the trailer out somehow the rope came loose and the boat started floating away so he panicked and jumped out of his Tahoe, buttttt didn't put it in park and accidentally put it into reverse so right when he got out of it she rolled backwards right down into the river and it was too late to do anything.
So long story short........ It took 7 hours to get it out of the water. We had a lot of rain the past few days so the current was strong and the water rose about 2 feet in that time period. The local fire dept./dive team could not locate where it was at (water was very dirty) so they turned to fish finders and finally located it. It was pushed about 80 feet downstream from the current and was 20 feet under water.
It took the divers a good 5 hours to locate it, but they gave up trying to hook it because they were really exhausted from fighting the current.
They ended up calling in a pro dive team about 20 miles away that specializes in stuff like that.
So they finally show up and get her all hooked up and by about 8:45PM they got it all out of the water.
I'm sure he's going to have a nice bill for all of it as well and I hope he has a good insurance company too.....

So everyone remember to MAKE SURE YOUR VEHICLE IS IN PARK!!!

aerophoto
06-03-2008, 01:00 AM
DAM that would suck Sorry about that and yea hope he is well covered

zabooda
06-03-2008, 01:12 AM
Ouch, that one bites. Sorry for your friend. I'm glad you caught his boat or who knows where the current would have taken it.

JBMoombaMan
06-03-2008, 01:14 AM
What river were you in? I would guess the Illinois river. What boat launch? What a shitty day.

AaronWhitt82
06-03-2008, 02:46 AM
Yea I haven't talked to him today to see what his insurance company had to say.
It happened on the IL River at the Peru boat Launch.
I was trying to get pics of it from the local newspaper website, but you have to be a member to access them.

tazz3069
06-03-2008, 08:20 AM
Sorry to hear about your friend. I have seen accidents like that in the past. I really hope his insurance takes care of him.

tarkus70
06-04-2008, 03:41 PM
Aww man I really feel for this guy that bites

Sled491
06-04-2008, 10:58 PM
When it rains it pours, man that sucks!

canuckskier
06-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Same thing happened to a buddy of mine 2 years ago, not quite as bad, but water up to the dash. Insurance was great because he was at a bona-fide boat launch.

Hope your friend has the same luck.