PDA

View Full Version : Issue with PP in Slalom Mode

cab13367
06-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Yesterday, I used the slalom mode on my Perfect Pass for the first time. I was pulling a slalom skier at 30 mph. Problem is that I had to have the setpoint at 34 for it to hold 30 mph. When I had the setpoint at 30, it held about 27 mph. With the setpoint speed set at 34 mph. it had no problem holding speed right at 30 mph.

The KDW is set at 150 and the NN is set at 120. I have not touched these so this is how PP was set up from the factory.

In wakeboard mode, it holds the setpoint speed no problem.

Any ideas? Any one having a similar issue?

Thanks,

Al

canuckskier
06-01-2008, 05:35 PM
I assume you have the Wakeboard Pro. If not disregard the following

I had similar issues, my manual is not handy right now, but my understanding is in slalom mode it is completely RPM based, so what you do is go to calibration page with the typical boat load you have when skiing (no skier), engage it at say 30MPH, and press the up or down cursor which increases RPM in 25 RPM increments. Once you have found the RPM setting that works for the speed you have selected you press Menu (I think) and it saves that setting. Then if you go out next time, and have a couple more people in the boat etc.. you can just add 25 or 50 RPM's to get 30 MPH.

The manual does a good job of walking you through the setup. If you don't have it let me know, and I can scan mine and e-mail it to you

I know that wasn't totally helpful, but I can tell you I ski into 35 off and use the wakeboard mode for holding speed, the only catch is that you have to calibrate your speedo at skiing speeds rather than the suggested 20 MPH. I don't really care because wakeboarders don't care what the speedo says, as long as the wake is the right shape and size, they're happy.

Cheers

cab13367
06-01-2008, 07:08 PM
canuckskier,

Thanks for that info. I pulled out and read the manual earlier today and saw the section that you are referring to. I will give that a try next time out.

Thanks again. And yes, I do have the wakeboard pro.

Al

yearround
06-01-2008, 08:56 PM
i have had problems with ski mode also. i am usually the only one who skis, so i don't save a ski mode as one of the options. i change to rpm mode and set for the rpm/speed that i like. it would be nice if i could think like PP. i am sure it is me not understanding the PP logic.

but i will try the suggestions above, may bey it will work this time.

NCSUmoomba
06-02-2008, 01:28 PM
Yeah, I had trouble calibrating the slalom mode as well. It has to be done for every speed setting that you might use (from say 26mph to 36mph) and every time the weight of the boat changes, it is no longer accurate. I have thought about using the wakeboard mode (I do for slower skiers) but the PP manual says to use the slalom mode over 25mph. Does the wakeboard mode work just as well at say 30mph? That would be really nice.

Sled491
06-04-2008, 11:17 PM
Nope the wakeboard mode won't go that high. But like was mentioned earlier and I had the same frusturation with the setting the speed high to get the speed you want, except if you ski at 36 your pooched. So follow the directions and set her up and it will be good from there.

canuckskier
06-05-2008, 11:19 AM
I ski at 36MPH, and I do it in wakeboard mode. I know the manual suggests otherwise, but it WILL accept and hold 36 in the wakeboard mode. I also time every few passes through the course to ensure it is accurate, and it has been remarkably good.

The one issue though, is the KDW and NN settings, what works for skiing at 36 doesn't really work all that well for boarding at around the 20MPH mark, (the boat surges) so either write down the settings and change them when you switch sports, find something acceptable in the middle, or figure out how to make slalom mode more user-friendly (so my wife the driver) can do it on the fly. If you figure it out, let me know!

Cheers!

Sled491
06-05-2008, 06:36 PM
How did you get it to go to 36? I've tried and couldn't get it past loke 24 or something like that.

sar
06-05-2008, 07:55 PM
The slalom mode makes its corrections smoother and the wakeboard mode just kind of does them. Essentially, the skier will slack up whenever the wakeboard most drastically changes speed.

Wakeboard mode will go that high, but yes, slalom mode feels better. If you don't want to calibrate you could make use rpm mode.

All perfect passes have slalom, wakeboard, and rpm mode. Wakeboard pro doesn't have things like kdw, trick, and jump modes though.

cptmoomba
06-05-2008, 10:30 PM
PP needs to be calibrated as in the manual that came with it... or get your manual here...

http://www.perfectpass.com/pp_support_usersmanual.html

PP comes pretty well calibrated for Slalom (rpm) mode in boats like the Outback. This is simply because of prop, weight and hull design.

On my 21V I had to drastically change the rpms from the factory setting to accomodate for such a non-ski friendly hull. You need to calibrate for all the 28, 30, 32, 34 and 36 mph and then you should be good. If you calibrate for say 32 and not 34, when you increment from 32 to 34 on the fly, the rpms WILL drop back to the 34 mph level.

Hope this helps.