PDA

View Full Version : Outback Owners: Is the carpet in your storage areas always wet?

ian ashton
05-31-2008, 06:42 PM
It seems like the carpet under the front cushions, and also under the passenger seat is always wet. Is this normal? The boat is kept in the water, but it hasn't really rained. Our boat is only 1 week old (~10 hours) and it always seems wet.

Normal? Or is this an issue?

outback 4
05-31-2008, 10:41 PM
i've got an 06 and never had a drop of water on the floor unless i did the old submarine trick on accident. it's usually always dry. i'd say not normal and have it checked out.

jkendall79
05-31-2008, 11:18 PM
Is there water in the engine compartment too? If so, maybe check to be sure the drain plug is tight, or there could be a leak in the prop shaft or water intake.

deerfield
05-31-2008, 11:41 PM
Ian - Have not had this issue. Our boat is an '07. We keep it on a lift or trailer. If the bow goes under, we air it out and it stays dry. - Deerfield

wakevet
06-01-2008, 11:17 AM
check the heater (if you have one). mine was shot the day I picked up the boat and the entire bow filled with water under the seats, the carpet was soaked for quite a while. fixed the heater and now it's dry!

Laz
06-01-2008, 11:35 AM
We keep our boat in the water for the summer season and use it two or three times per week for skiing. I've noticed that when the carpet get's wet, it often stays wet. I don't there is any air circulating under the snap on cover.

So, I just bought three of these to go on each of the cover tent poles:

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=72310&pdesc=VENT_SOL_AIR_Solar_Powered_Ventilating_Fan_F or_Boat_Covers&str=fan&merchID=1008&r=view

or try:

www.overtons.com and look for product #72310

Any else tried this? I'll let the board know if they work.

Laz

ian ashton
06-02-2008, 01:53 PM
i've got an 06 and never had a drop of water on the floor unless i did the old submarine trick on accident. it's usually always dry. i'd say not normal and have it checked out.

We discovered this 'trick' yesterday :( 5 people in the boat and a wakeboarder in the water sure brings the nose down quickly, and the boat definately doesn't like the rollers!

could be condensation falling from under the cushions.

Prop your seats up before putting on the cover, so air can circulate thru there.

I think that this is what the issue was. When I got on the boat yesterday I checked under the seats and it was definately pretty damp. We'll see today when I get out there, I'm hoping today's heat will dry up the wet carpet referenced from the above event, lol...

Dubwake21
06-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Our carpet stays pretty wet, but I attribute it to a thorough rinsing before we put it in the garage, and a garage that doesn't slope toward the bilge even when cranked up pretty high. Best thing to do as already mentioned is to leave the seat cushions off to allow for extra air circulation.

Jon J
06-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Ian,

I had this problem for the first few outings in my boat when I bought it last year. I was going through exactly what you are thinking it just wasn't drying, maybe it is normal etc. Unless you are always putting really wet gear under your seats and/or dunking the front end often, it is not normal.

What it turned out to be on our boat was really stupid and an easy fix. The front ballast bag drains out the right side of the boat just in front of the steering wheel (under the rub rail). The pipe clamp that connects the ballast hose to the plastic through hull drain was loose. So basically everytime I pumped out the front ballast bag a bunch of water leaked down from that connection keeping the carpet wet. I tightened the hose clamp. Problem solved. (Be careful to not overtighten because they can break the plastic nipples).

If that doesn't work, check to see if any water is getting in through the chrome docking light housings at the front. This was the case for a friend of mine with an 06 Mobius LS. I took mine off and added some silcone just to be sure.

TL7
06-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Ours usually gets wet in the front from wet people sitting down, the dreaded submarining, and mostly from washing and rinsing the boat after use. We do a complete wash after every use, and once done with the outside we shop vac the entire carpet, even under the seats. Takes another 15 minutes or so, but after spending +/- 35k I don't mind! You'd be surprised how nasty the water is that is sucked out of the carpet. Hopefully I am rewarded for the effort when trade in time comes.

Sled491
06-04-2008, 11:14 PM
I hate moisture under seats, it turns to mold real fast. I try to prop all my cushions up a little under the cover to help the area dry. Also check along the inside of your rub rail. If there is a leak along the sides of the boat that is where it will come from.