PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboard setup?

Limishowman3
05-30-2008, 10:29 PM
What is everyone's setup for their boat? I usually ride between 20-22mph, depending on how many people I have on the boat. My stock 400lb ballast is usually full. Now my rope is all the way out, but it says only 60ft. There is 3 lengths on it 50 55 and 60, doesn't seem right, but at the furthest out it hits the sweet spot for my boat. I was just wondering what everyone else is setups are also. I also have and 07 outback DD. Most friends usually stay in the back of the boat too.

outback 4
05-31-2008, 12:14 PM
I also have an outback DD. I ride at 70' with around 600 lb in the back and 150 in the front and speed about 22mph. I first started riding at 65' and found that with the extra weight and moving back made the wake A LOT nicer and also allowed for more edging room to the wake. The shorter the rope the easier it is to take new tricks wake to wake.

TL7
05-31-2008, 02:17 PM
07 Outback DD. About 1100-1200lbs total weight. Ride at 75' about 24mph.

bobwells
06-02-2008, 07:29 PM
'98 mobius/outback, 800-1050 lbs ballast plus peeps. 70' 22-23 mph

Limishowman3
06-03-2008, 12:14 AM
Hey TL7 you riding at 24mph to shorten the wake up at 75' ? I guess if my setup was as big as yours I would need my rope longer.

yager97
06-03-2008, 02:33 PM
03 mobius LSV, 2200 lbs of ballast and and peeps of course. 80' at 24mph or 75' at 22.5-23mph, depends on the conditions.

TL7
06-03-2008, 11:10 PM
Hey TL7 you riding at 24mph to shorten the wake up at 75' ? I guess if my setup was as big as yours I would need my rope longer.

Limi, it's a lot easier on my knees with a longer rope. I've had 4 knee surgeries already, and I'd rather land on the backside of the wake than in the flats. I'm actually going into the flats a lot more know, I'm going to try 80' next time out. Also, I discovered that going faster actually makes it easier to do tricks. Not sure why, but it made a difference for me.

Limishowman3
06-04-2008, 12:38 AM
TL7, Yah I know a little faster helps with getting some better pop. 80' wow I guess your ballast setup throws a pretty good wake then. Yah i dread the day when my knees to start hurting from wakeboarding. Do you have any vid's of you riding that far out, would like to see what my boat is capable of with that setup.

Limishowman3
06-04-2008, 12:42 AM
Also, did yall replace the factory bag in the DD? I was wondering what brand and size would fit back there under the seat. Also what other bags did yall buy for the DD? I would measure myself but I tend to forget, and dont feel like taking the covers off just to measure. Thanks for the advice and help.

yager97
06-04-2008, 09:06 AM
i'll be going out on friday and will try and get some vid's of that length and speed behind a V-drive though. TL7 is right, save your knees for snowboarding, land on the transition of the wake no need to take it to the flats and wreck your knees

TL7
06-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Also, did yall replace the factory bag in the DD? I was wondering what brand and size would fit back there under the seat. Also what other bags did yall buy for the DD? I would measure myself but I tend to forget, and dont feel like taking the covers off just to measure. Thanks for the advice and help.

We replaced the stock bag with this 700lb bag.

http://www.wakeside.com/product/boat/ballast/ballast_bags/fly+high+pro+x+series+rear+seat+sac.do

For the rest, I used 50lb sand bags from Home Depot (2.99 per bag) and wrapped them in several garbage bags so they wouldn't leak or bust. I've got 2 bags in the rear ski locker on the driver's side, 2 bags under the spotters seat, and 3 bags under the front starboard seat. That's an additional 350lbs that's tucked away out of sight. Still have plenty of room for jackets and whatever else. Seems to be a good setup for us. I intentionally placed most of the weight on the driver's side, as most people tend to sit on the other side. Does a good job of balancing the wake. I will see if I can dig up a video...we are heading to Canyon Lake this weekend so I will definitely get some then.

PS...looks like I was off on my initial calculation...total weight is 1050. I was thinking the rear sac was 750 rather than 700.

Limishowman3
06-04-2008, 11:12 PM
Wait Canyon Lake, TX? If so I ride over here in New Braunfels, on Lake Dunlap. Thats actually pretty smart about the sand bags. I might have to do that. Yah I was wondering IF that 800# sac would fit back there. Its 24" X 50", either from wakeside or buywake.com not sure which though.

TL7
06-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Wait Canyon Lake, TX? If so I ride over here in New Braunfels, on Lake Dunlap. Thats actually pretty smart about the sand bags. I might have to do that. Yah I was wondering IF that 800# sac would fit back there. Its 24" X 50", either from wakeside or buywake.com not sure which though.

It will fit, but you may have to extend the hoses. They are set up for fittings on the end of the factory sac, which is 60" or 62". Not that hard to extend the hoses, wakeside has all the fittings you would need.

Yeah, heading to Canyon Lake in the morning. Small world!

Limishowman3
06-06-2008, 12:43 AM
You ever wakesurf behind ur boat? I got mine to curl with the factory sac. three friends at avg 180lbs. and then my sis 120. My friend was actually riding it with a wakeboard w/o the bindings, but had to hold on the rope whole time.

TL7
06-06-2008, 01:25 AM
Looking to surf tomorrow. In addition to the weight discussed earlier...which I did forget a 50lb sac so I was right with my 1100 lbs, we bought two 350lb sacs to fill for surfing in the back. Looking forward to trying it out. I've surfed it before with the rope, but I want to free surf. I have the tower mount for the video camera, so by Sunday night I should be able to post vids or at least links to vids from everything we do. Surfing, riding, etc. Maybe this will be the motivation I need to try the whirly. Trying to get my backroll dialed in like my tantrum. Everything seems so easy when watching video, until you actually try it!

Limishowman3
06-09-2008, 10:37 AM
So how was Canyon Lake this weekend? Did the wind get yah, or you find a nice calm cove? I went to my uncle's lake house, and yah water sucked, even in there inlet that was as wide as lake dunlap near the damn. Too many boats, and too much wind. Yah them videos make it look to damn easy. Also when you have 1100 ballast all full, how many ppl do you also have on the boat? I was just wondering how much extra weight the boat can hold over its recommended 10 ppl.

deeluk
06-09-2008, 12:59 PM
04 Mobius LSV. I run 1400-1800 depending upon how many people are with us. I upgraded the 2 rear sacks to the 19x19x42 (I think) bags which are 500lbs each. I have a Launch Pad bag (450lbs) that we put in the walkway when we have a small crew or want a bigger wake. I'm still trying to figure out the weight distribution with the plate. With all the bags full, I can't use the plate without a lot of porpoising. Especially if there's any chop. I'm trying to go lighter in the back so that I can use the plate to shape the wake a bit. I usually ride at 75 feet, 22 mph.

TL7
06-09-2008, 02:36 PM
So how was Canyon Lake this weekend? Did the wind get yah, or you find a nice calm cove? I went to my uncle's lake house, and yah water sucked, even in there inlet that was as wide as lake dunlap near the damn. Too many boats, and too much wind. Yah them videos make it look to damn easy. Also when you have 1100 ballast all full, how many ppl do you also have on the boat? I was just wondering how much extra weight the boat can hold over its recommended 10 ppl.

The lake pretty much sucked. The Outback is definitely not a rough water boat. Spent 2 hours shop vacuuming the carpet last night! That was hands down the roughest I've ever seen Canyon Lake. We ended up going to Lake Austin on Saturday, but it was rough there too.

We've had as many as 8 in the boat, but we normally have 4 or 6. No video from this weekend, obviously, but I will get some sooner or later!

pickle311
06-09-2008, 03:42 PM
07 LSV 2600lbs of ballast and usually 6 to 9 people in the boat, wake plate between full up and half way, 70 or 75 feet out at 22 to 24 depending on conditions.

I ride on Lake Austin or Perdenales river. All of us Austin people should hook up and ride one day.

TL7
06-09-2008, 04:39 PM
Pickle, just curious but where on Lake Austin do most people ride? We put in at the 360 bridge, and whether or not we went right or left didn't matter. It was rough everywhere. We ended up just riding and looking at houses. Any tips for future trips would be appreciated. We're pretty spoiled I guess...the river we normally ride on (San Bernard) is always glass.

Limishowman3
06-09-2008, 05:30 PM
Yah I am just going to stick with the guadalupe river here in New Braunfels. I mostly ride on the weekdays any ways, so no traffic and tons of glassy water to board on. Im gonna go buy me some sand bags tmrw. I probably only get 5 for now.

pickle311
06-09-2008, 09:14 PM
from the 360 bridge go left, up stream until you get past emma long park. The water is cold and glassy. If its on a weekend you can give up on glass after 11am. I hit the perdenales river on the weekends, butta forever

Limishowman3
06-18-2008, 03:19 AM
So I ended up just filling icechest with water, instead of placing sandbags in the boat. I didn't want to mess with having a bag break. Also when I went to home depot and was looking at sandbags, the ones they had didn't seem to weigh 50lbs. I looked for the weight on the bag, but all it said was .5cubic ft. Also could you post some pics of your wake? Just want to see the difference, with the added 1000lbs of ballast between mine and urs. One more thing, how do you like your outback DD, I seem to have problems with the moomba cruise. Ill try to set the speed, and then the light starts flashing sometimes. I think it may be with me till accelerating and hitting cruise before it reaches its peak at that many rpms.

TL7
06-18-2008, 11:52 PM
I don't have many good pics. Here are a few, some of me, some of my 6'6" buddy, and a few of my buddy on a kneeboard. Not the best, but gives you somewhat of an idea I hope. Next time I go out I will be sure and take some pics of the wake and post them for you. It will probably be a few weeks before I go again. Craziest thing happened. I was changing the oil Sunday. Had the entire motor cover off so I could access the filter and everything. Finishing up, I stood up and sliced the crap out of the bottom of my foot on one of those aluminum L brackets that keeps the cover in place. Jumped out of the boat to my wife's dismay (didn't want blood all over the carpet). This was all in the driveway, which was 95+ degrees. Lost quite a bit of blood and ended up fainting as soon as I got in the house. I assume it was dizziness from the heat and blood loss. Looks like someone was massacred on our driveway, but managed to keep it out of the boat! Result is a 3.5-4" gash in the arch of my left foot, so I'm sidelined till it heals. Moral of the story, wear shoes when changing the oil. Kind of makes me wish I would have paid the $210 to have it done lol! Anyway, hope these help a bit and I promise I will get some better ones for you.

TL7
06-18-2008, 11:58 PM
one more, plus a few of me that don't show the wake but I thought they looked cool!

Limishowman3
06-19-2008, 01:46 AM
Well tmrw morning I am going out on the lake. It will be 9 of us out there, maybe ten. But Ill have the 400# full, and we will c what type of wake we get. The other day I went out and it seemed too mellow. Lake was turning over, so there was old limbs and trash everywhere. I'll try to get some video and pics and post them up here.