PDA

View Full Version : Wake Surf wedge???

aintskeered
05-30-2008, 05:20 PM
I was wondering and have been looking (without any luck) about a wedge for one side of the boat?perhaps a quick hook on the rear of the boat on the side your surfing? I have 750 lb sac in the left rear. Leave the right empty and fill the front. But would like a bit more. Has any one tryed a reverse hydrofoil/ wedge to (sink) the surf side of the boat? I am concedering building one but dont have a clue about what angel ect. Since it woul only be used at slow speed & and pull aprox 800lbs I am thinking this could be a quick way to just attach some ballest for surfing. On an Lsv I am not sure how to add more weight to the corners with water bescides putting them ontop of the lockers? Any recomendations please?

Seth

maxpower220
05-30-2008, 08:40 PM
You could contact the people at Malibu, they have been making the "Wedge" for many years now. There is not a lot to it in form. However, Malibu claims that the wedge makes the same wake as if there were 1500lbs of ballast without any water in your boat. The downside for you is, Does SC make boat transoms the same way Malibu does? Or, Will the wedge rip the transom off the back of my boat?
If you look around ski boat salvage yards, you may be able to find on old wedge from a Malibu.

aintskeered
05-31-2008, 02:37 PM
Thanx Ed, I looked pretty hard on the wake world site, didnt find much. I will get a hold of big show! I was not looking at the full blown Malibu set up just wanted to load one corner. Figured I could build one cheaper and for less hassel than trying to figure out the extra ballest on top of the deck.

I actually started one last night just a test version though. but if someone has already gon through the headache wey shoul I ! I'll take picks and poast if this turnes out to work. If not you'll never hear it from me.

Dubwake21
06-02-2008, 02:23 PM
The wakeplate that came with my 2008 Outback V does not help with the surfing wake. I just sack out the back left rear and throw some bodies back there.

04OUTBACK
06-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Dub,
the wakeplate should be all the way up for surfing... i have LSV and thats where I run it..

BW

Dubwake21
06-02-2008, 06:33 PM
BW,
Agreed. So my question to you is, when is it best used and at what position?

04OUTBACK
06-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Dub,
I run it between 3/4 up and all the way up for surfing. Center tank full, and surfside ballast filled at 750lbs.
When wakeboarding, I usually keep it around 50%... but I do play up and down some when pulling folks..
My LSV with above set up and 3 folks at 10 - 10.3 is getting a pretty good wave..

aintskeered
06-13-2008, 09:49 AM
Well I have the first try behind me now..... Wow what did I get myself into. Good news is the mounts I set up for the foil turned out stronger than I thought. Bad news a lot more time and work than I though.

The foil, wrong shape, size, angel....uh not real sure here. perhaps one or all of them. It was stable behind the boat and did add extra (weight) although just not enough yet. I have contacted hydrofoil international looking for some more brain power on this one, no reply yet.

If any one knows something about foils I am looking for recomendations. I took lots of pics through the project. But gotta get it working before I poast em.

Two pins and I should be able to move the foil from side to side in just a few minutes this could be sweet!

Seth

Jon J
06-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Seth.

I think the post Ed was reffering to is this one:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/538293.html?1202527898

I remember reading it a while back. The idea behind getting a curl without ballast is very interesting. Seems like the technology is coming but still not perfect.

Keep us updated with your project.