PDA

View Full Version : 2003 fuel line plugged at tank

pepsitex
05-29-2008, 10:30 PM
I have a 2003 moomba outback with 123 hours and I had a starting problem that has been trackked to no fuel flow between the fuel tank and the fuel filter. Flow is 0% in either direction, into or out of tank from filter location. Has this condition been identified before? Is there a filter in the tank? What is present between the tank and fuel filter that could present itself as a possible restriction location.

1moomba
05-31-2008, 11:58 AM
I have a 04 Moomba XLV 340 HP 107 Hrs on the boat. I had a problem last time out last September. The boat would not go over 10 MPH. I brought the boat to Gillian Marine in Alton Bay and the found the Fuel pump and filter to be bad and contaminated. They replaced it and it failed first time out this year. I found it to be full of rubber. The fuel line has broke down from the inside and is about half deteriorated and is plugging up both the pump and filter. We have 10% Ethanol in our fuel and that started in summer of 2007. So the boat was run one season with the ethanol in the fuel.

The dealer contacted Moomba and they offered to send out a new piece of fuel line. I pay the labor and wanted the old one back. I asked if this was going to do the same thing and they said they didn't know. This is going to be a safety issue once the line is eaten through. Raw fuel in the bilge of a boat is not a good thing. This is my third Moomba and Moomba has been great in the past. I hope they don't prove me wrong this time. THIS IS A REAL SAFETY ISSUE And I Don't feel that I should foot the bill. The hose is made in Malaysia which is pretty scary. It says ISO Certified Jan 93. I don't believe the were using Ethanol in 1993. Any feedback would be great. I have left message for the factory to call me back as they have made right in the past.

UPDATE I have sent my fuel line back to moomba and they will let me know what they are going to do. They also said that the 2004 and older do not have fuel line that is compatible with ethanol . There is a cut off date and was not available during this phone conversation.
Thanks and good luck. Steve

Buttafewcoe
06-01-2008, 09:06 AM
There is an anti-siphon valve on the tank also. Mine got stopped up 2nd year. Had the same symptoms.
Hope this helps
B

JesseC
06-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Steve, this is causing me some concern as well. I am wondering how many of the hoses should be replaced? I would assume the filler, breather and delivery line to the fuel pump. It would also seem that skiers choice would offer an Ethenal frienldy parts kit to make gathering the hoses easier so we do not have to hunt down all of these hoses.

1moomba
06-05-2008, 06:41 PM
They have sen't a complete hose kit. Filler, vent, feed and return. I will be changing all the hoses next week. I need to remove the floor over the tank and will post how the job goes.
Thanks Steve