PDA

View Full Version : OUTBACK Prop question

JDsTOY
05-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Has anyone gone throught the trial and error as far as what props work well with an Outback with the 325hp. I have two pre teen kids about 70 lbs each and sometimes an adult at 180 lbs. We do alot of tubing, skiing, and knee boarding. I am waiting with the wake boards for a year or so.

maxpower220
05-29-2008, 09:19 PM
Most boat companies do a lot of R&D to put the "best" prop on your boat for it's designed use. I am pretty happy with the stock prop as far as it's performance for an Outback. Is there something that you are unhappy with in your current prop?

MasterMind3002
05-29-2008, 09:40 PM
I gotta go with Maxpower on this one. The stock prop does a great job on the Outback

Mikey
05-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Stock prop works well. I'm 6'5 215lbs coming out double boots with no problems. Toys are just as good.

04OUTBACK
05-29-2008, 11:14 PM
I previously had 04 Outback with 310hp carb.. i dinged my prop and replaced the factory 13x13 3 blade with an OJ XMP 13x11 (which I am told is the same as the factory upgrade wake prop). Got better holeshot, but lost top end and ran at higher RPM for most towing. If you run ballast, you'll enjoy the added holeshot. based on your description of your riding styles, I'd stay with what you got until you start adding ballast....

JDsTOY
05-30-2008, 10:43 AM
I would actuallylike more on the top end for speed. I don't need all the grunt out of the hole for obvious reasons.

canuckskier
05-30-2008, 11:15 AM
Gotta agree, sounds like the stock prop is the way to go for you. I also have a 325hp Outback, mostly ski, but does the trick for everything I have ever pulled.

Why do you want more top-end speed? Just curious.

Cheers

JDsTOY
06-02-2008, 05:05 PM
I'm just throwing some #'s out but after about 85% throttle the only thing that increases is my fuel consumption and RPM's. Seem's to me if it could grab more water I would at least get something from it. Also for fun.

OldeBoy
06-04-2008, 10:35 PM
I have a boomerang with a 310 carb. My original prop is a 13x 13. it had a slight ding in it that caused a cavitation burn on the backside of the prop. I changed it out to a 13D X14P and seems to be doing well with boarding, tubing, and skiiing.

Sled491
06-04-2008, 10:51 PM
I dinged my stock prop and put a rebuilt one on, but I didn't like it. I then bought an 13x13 4 blade. Great holeshot and good top end, about 45 on the GPS. Only problem is that there is a slight rooster tail now which affects skiing under 36 and tubing. So to get to my point, I wouldn't go this direction, and I still think my factory prop was the best. But you should feel free to get ahold of the boys at OJ or Acme, they will hook you up, but remember this will be about a $400 - $500 experiment

BensonWdby
06-05-2008, 08:20 PM
I thought I had read somewhere that the design of ski boat hulls, which the Outback is ( I am pretty sure?), especially a direct drive, is actually self limiting at the top end. Urban legend?? But the statement was something to the fact that the design of the hull was such that after around 45 mph the hull starts to get lower again, increasing drag.

I am sure there are those out there with more knowledge on this fact than I.

My 99 Mobius with 310 carb came with a 4 blade OJ Legend. After dinging prop, I went with the ACME recommended replacement for the boat which was a CNC 3 blade prop, forgot the pitch, but it was their only option for that boat. The difference is not all that noticeable. I can get about 46-47 mph with 200 lb driver and limited gear. I think the RPM stays under 4800. My boat guy and my prop guy both raved about it and said I would be throwing rocks at the OJ - but I was not that wowed.

It is a good idea to keep a spare - before you ding it an have to get one. Get a puller also. Some good prop shops will let you take out multiple props and try them = bring back what you don't want...

jasonba1
06-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Take a look under the classifieds in this forum. I have a couple of OJ props for sale that are brand new they are 13X11.5 LC 1" XMP CNC props. I am asking 265 plus shipping. If you look at skidim.com or any of the other sites you will see these are well over 400.00 I have one on my boat and I absolutely love it. Just shoot me a email at [email protected] if you are interested in one.