PDA

View Full Version : What will gas prices do to our resale value?

gsi09907
05-28-2008, 07:27 PM
Just wondering if anyone else out there is nervous on whether are not we should be hanging on to our gas guzzling wake boats are should we be selling them now before none of us can afford to fill them and no one else wants to buy them?

Any thoughts on what gas prices will do to the values of our boats?

jkendall79
05-28-2008, 07:44 PM
There's no way I'm selling mine! When I take my boat out, I ask each of my friends that go with me to chip in $25-$30 for gas, which they're usually more than happy to do. This helps offset my fuel costs, especially when I have 4 or 5 friends with me. Now if gas were to go up to $10 a gallon, I might be changing my tune...

Razzman
05-28-2008, 08:09 PM
The resale prices on boats are definately down, more than most people would like to see. In fact I know of a '06 LSV with low hours that the owner just dropped to below $30K and he still hasn't got any hits. The boats that seem to be really taking it in the shorts are the high dollar bling boats while the lower end price point boats are doing a bit better.

When i bought my new LSV a month ago i knew exactly what i was getting into and had no illusions about the boat market as it stood. I intend to keep it for quite awhile unless something were to happen to force my hand, but it won't be gas.

Limishowman3
05-28-2008, 10:03 PM
I and 2 of my friends each put in 10 gallons of gas. shit 40 bucks easy, my problem is alot of my friends either don't wakeboard, and also dont have money to be spending. All my summer job money is going to my gas boat, and diesel truck. Maybe I'll have enough left over to buy me a tv for my college house. Who knows though.

04OUTBACK
05-28-2008, 10:22 PM
short term..
I did not buy mine for an investment...but, I do like to know that I can get out without a loss...
so, bottom line, now is probably not a sellers market, but that'll change... BUT, used boats will probably sell better than new in some markets..

smokedog2
05-28-2008, 11:18 PM
When gas starts pushing the PITI, then you may have a problem. My Suburban runs me $2,000 a year more than a Civic at $4 gas. It is not the end of the world.

Short oil, it is going to $75.

SD2

tazz3069
05-28-2008, 11:58 PM
I agree with JKendell. I also have friends who do not mind giving up a few bucks for gas. Makes filling up alot easier.

zabooda
05-29-2008, 01:11 AM
I do just as much boating but I now take people along to share the cost.

wakevet
06-01-2008, 11:23 AM
anyone considering owning a boat should not buy one if they are concerned about gas prices! it's like high-end sports car owners, you know you're not going to get 50MPG but that's not why they buy them. just like us boat owners, all the enjoyment we get out of boating is the reason we buy our boats. our gas in Calgary is $1.30/L, which is about $5.00/US gallon and it's supposed to go up to $1.50/L, that sucks. my thoughts are, omit one supper at a restaurant, cancel the $100/month cable, and you'll have the extra cash to spend on the boat!

lbahl
06-01-2008, 04:24 PM
Hey can you give me the name of the guy who has that 06 Moomba LSV for sale, I am interested!!! [email protected]

Dave A
06-01-2008, 05:05 PM
If you can't afford the gas, sit in it and drink beer. I just bought a new gas guzzler. 2008 Supra Launch 21V. I can take my family out for the day, or we can go to the lake for the weekend, and the fun is priceless. Come to think about it, I think I will get in the boat and drink a beer. Later.

Dave

Sled491
06-04-2008, 11:23 PM
It occured to me that maybe this summer was going to be different because of the higher gas prices. But instead we'll just stay on our own lake more, instead of pulling her around with the diesel and exploring new lakes. Heck with the money tied up in a lake house why should I travel around anyways? That's what buddies on other lakes are for!

But to answer the question, I'm not sure how many people buy a ski boat based on resale. We're kind of a small group overall.

Pike
06-05-2008, 01:32 AM
There's no way I'm selling mine! When I take my boat out, I ask each of my friends that go with me to chip in $25-$30 for gas, which they're usually more than happy to do. This helps offset my fuel costs, especially when I have 4 or 5 friends with me. Now if gas were to go up to $10 a gallon, I might be changing my tune...

I hope gas goes to $10 a gallon....living in Los Angeles the traffic will be lighter and the lakes wont be crowded!!!!

Sled491
06-05-2008, 08:07 AM
There is a bar/restaurant on my lake that has slips for boats (Tiki Bar).

I just look for unattended MasterCrafts and use my fat sac pump to transfer their gas into my boat.

I can get 1100 gallons per hour.

Ed that's funny.

Besides the way I see it, I'm just trading in for my next Moomba. It's my dealers problem to get rid of my boat, and I don't think the blue book looks at the price of gas when they give the trade in value

moombadaze
06-05-2008, 08:44 AM
a day boating with the family is still cheaper than a 18 hole round of golf for one person

Razzman
06-05-2008, 10:26 AM
We just spent three days on the lake. Put 6 hours on the boat, a lot of float time involved but everyone had a blast. Cost me $200 in fuel but where else can that many peeps have that much fun? Priceless :D