PDA

View Full Version : can't pump vdrive fluid out? (xlv)

tlatoani
05-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Hi All, I managed to change the tranny fluid, but I can't get anything out of the vdrive. Any tips?

I've tried the hose at many different lengths, starting at the length of the dipstick. Nothing comes out at all. I had no trouble with the transmission. The fluid was reading really low when I bought it, so I've added ~1/3 of a quart to get it to read correctly.

thanks

04OUTBACK
05-27-2008, 12:46 PM
was the fluid/motor warm? trans fluid is thin enough you can pump it cold, but the v drive Oil does not do so well cold...

tlatoani
05-27-2008, 02:02 PM
Ah I bet that's it. Thanks!

JesseC
05-27-2008, 03:02 PM
You will also need a really thin line to get to the bottom of the V-drive. The one I use down the engine dipstick will not fit all the way to the bottom of the v-drive. It takes forever, but gets all of it out.

moomba_armada
05-27-2008, 03:18 PM
Jesse is right, a really thin line is the way. Try to "find" the lower place in the V-drive playing with the line a up and down.
It worked for me.

JesseC
05-27-2008, 10:46 PM
Jesse is right, a really thin line is the way. Try to "find" the lower place in the V-drive playing with the line a up and down.
It worked for me.

When you do get it snaked down to the bottom, don't panic when it hangs up when you try to pull it back out! I did and ended up pulling the bottom cover to get the bottom inch of my line out where it broke because I snatched it out when it hung!! Just twist it and it will snake back out. Also don't forget to pull the bottom line that has the screen on it and clean it ever other season or so.

pvlad
07-16-2009, 12:01 AM
No do not do any of the above. Using a pump will not pull everything out.
When facing the V drive, put your right hand on the back of the lower right hand side of the V drive. You will feel the drain plug. It is really small and really close to the hull. I used a big plastic bottle of Coke to cut a whole in it and insert it under the VDrive. Then unscrew the drain plug and wollaa...done. It takes a little less than 1 quart of SAE 30 motor oil. It is very sensitive to the amount of oil you put in. When you fill it in for the first time after the drain, the dip stick will show you that you are ok. But you are not!! You need to start the engine (on water or fake a lake) and run the Vdrive for 10 seconds (no longer if fake a lake since the shaft packing will heat up). Then let it cool off for 1 hr. and check the level again.