PDA

View Full Version : Fix for replacing swim platform rubber

helix_rider
05-26-2008, 07:56 PM
I know many have commented on the 'PITA" process involved in replacing the swim platform rubber. I finally went at it this weekend and discovered something I'd pass on to others. As mentioned in many previous posts, the rubber pulls off quite nicely in 3 huge pieces (L, middle, and R of the platform). There is a nasty residue left behind though. I tried gas...didn't work well, heat gun and scraper...too much effort. I then scrounged in my garage and tried something called 'Goo Gone'. I think I got it at Ace a few years ago. I squirted a little of that on the goo...waited 1 minute, and then used a putty knife and the glue just wiped off like butter. It took me like 10 minutes to do the entire platform...then I washed thoroughly with soap/water, let dry in the sun, then put the new pads on and now I have a brand new, hopefully stain-free, swim platform.

LSV_Flying
05-27-2008, 02:25 PM
Now i am motivated to go at it (did not want to screw with removing the residue before). What did you use to replace the rubber and where did you get it?

kaneboats
05-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Talk to Bill at Airjunky.com. Stuff works great.

bamaspiveys
05-28-2008, 07:14 AM
How old is your boat?

Did you replace the rubber becasue it looked bad or was worn out?

THis weekend we noticed that some people created black footprints on the sunpad when the stepped off the platform. My boat is an 07 and I hope the rubber pads last longer than a year! They look fine but I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue or if there is something I need to be doing to keep this from happening.

kaneboats
05-28-2008, 09:51 AM
I think there was a discussion about the black marks earlier this year. You can probably run a search on "platform" and "black" or something and find it. Good luck!

byronkoz
05-28-2008, 10:47 AM
I switched to Gator Grip and love it. Much nicer.

Lake Bound
05-28-2008, 02:27 PM
I also put Gator Grip on and love it.

cfdrews12
05-28-2008, 04:33 PM
Do you have to remove the original black rubber first? Seems like the gator grip or other adhesive mats could go right on top of existing rubber without the removal hassle? Thoughts?

byronkoz
05-28-2008, 05:57 PM
Yeah id remove the old stuff first. Its really super easy the factory stuff just tears right off then use goo be gone and a puddy knife, let the goo be gone sit for a minute or so the scrape away. You'll be surprised how quick the remaining adheasive will come off.

helix_rider
05-28-2008, 07:06 PM
My boat is an '05, so it has 3 summers on it now...the black started to come off on our feet because it is 'rubber' and degraded because my boat sits outside. I put a coat of 'shellac' of some sort on last year to protect it...worked great but made it kinda slippery. So this year I got some new pads (look at other threads for non-Moomba brands, I got mine from Moomba and supposedly these won't run). I'm following smokedog's advice and using 303 on them just for good UV protection. But yes, replacing is quick and easy using Goo Gone, I would definitely NOT slap it on top of the old mats on my boat.

stephane19
05-28-2008, 11:01 PM
where do you buy the gator gip

byronkoz
05-28-2008, 11:30 PM
http://www.wakejunky.com/

avery11100
05-29-2008, 12:06 AM
I had the same problem and used Gator Grip, I have received several compliments and have not had any problems in the last three years. Here is a site I found where you can choose the colors.

http://www.noslipgatorgrip.com/servlet/the-Gator-Grip-Sheets/Categories

You might be able to find it cheaper somewhere else. I used some of the leftover material to replace old trim on the inside of the boat. Very easy to work with (scissors). Just make sure you measure twice and remove any air bubbles. Have fun.

kaneboats
05-29-2008, 08:37 AM
Yes. You can see his site at airjunky.com; email him at [email protected]; call him at 206-200-6226 or fax to 509-210-0325.

cfdrews12
05-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Cool. Thanks for the feedback. I've got the gator grip ordered, and work will be done by mid-June. Tired of having people wonder why their suits and board shorts are always black on my boat.

bamaspiveys
05-30-2008, 09:54 PM
So it looks like it is just peel and stick once you get the old stuff off?

kaneboats
05-31-2008, 12:59 AM
If you make sure you order it that way, yes, it is peel and stick. You will have to get a big enough sheet and cut to fit. There's a little waste from the sizes these sellers sell but there are many other uses for the cutoffs, i.e., trailer, padding, etc.

I've seen somewhere between 25 and 50 posts on boards all over the place that swear by the stuff. I have yet to see a single post from someone who has regrets about going with the stuff. I'll try to post pics this weekend of my own homemade efforts done about 2 months ago. Still holding fast and looking good.

kaneboats
05-31-2008, 01:09 AM
FYI: I just went out to the garage cuz I couldn't remember the name of the stuff I used to get the glue off. I recall that the original sheeting stuff came off in close to one piece after some taffy pulling for about 20 min. Then I used the stuff called "Goof Off" from Home Depot (under $4). I took an old shirt and this stuff applied pretty liberally in a well ventilated area for about 10 min. to get all the glue residue off. I washed the whole platform and then measured and cut the new padding. Once it was fit I marked the center and lined it up and then pulled the backing away and spread it out one side and then the other. It came out real nice. I'll try to post a pic this w/e.