PDA

View Full Version : weighting an 03 LSV or anything pre 06

yager97
05-26-2008, 09:19 AM
How are you guys with the above mentioned boats weighting these? I'm an advanced rider, looking to get a tournament quality wake out of this boat, and it just doesnt seem to be happening. I have two 500 lb v-drive bags in the back, plus 600 in the ski locker, and another 500 in the nose. 2100 lbs of ballast, I ride at 83 feet line lenght, and 23.5 mph on the perfect pass, and the wake really sucks back there. It's tiny, I'm thinking I may have too much in the nose, any thoughts? I also leave the wakeplate down, should I be putting it up? I'm yet to try that

ajsboat
05-27-2008, 10:52 AM
The wakeplate should be all the way up. Not sure why any wakeboarder would put it down, except maybe to get the boat on plane faster.

I have a XLV so it probable is different, but I drive at 22.5 MPH any faster and the wake gets smaller.

yager97
05-27-2008, 11:24 AM
girlfriend is my primary driver. She cant see over the bow with it up. Ill get her a booster seat though...thanks I'll test this out this week

c.rix
05-27-2008, 11:39 PM
behind my v the first time out we made the same mistake, then the next time out trimmed the plate up and the wake shaped up nicely

LSV04
05-31-2008, 09:37 PM
Yes-Ive been trying to get the wake steeper. I loaded gallon containers with lead tire weights . I might try and shorten the rope to where the wake looks perfect but I'd only be riding at about 60-65 feet. I took a lesson behind an 07 Mobius with tons of weight and it was insane. Popping for a 360 was effortless. You just get bumped up clean.If I go 70-80 feet of line its hard going wake to wake. I heard you can get larger ballast bags if you call.

yager97
06-02-2008, 10:52 AM
you can get larger bags from fly high. i bought them and they fit perfect, and add an extra 500 lbs to the back. It's a slug gettin this boat out of the water now, takes a long time to get on plane, you can see the gas gauge drop....

guinsha54
06-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Yager,

Did you buy the Fly High 750 lbs bags? I know you said they fit perfect but is there any storage room left over?

Also, since your boat's havin some trouble getting onplane you should try looking into a lower pitched prop geared for wakeboarding.

yager97
06-10-2008, 10:25 AM
I bought the 500lb bags, not the 750. there is very minimal room left over when these bags are full for storage, maybe a couple life jackets on top and the rope. It basically fills the entire compartment. with the wakeplate up the boat porpoises like mad, which led to a whole slew of new problems this weekend. I helplessly watched the girlfriend launch the boat into the air off some rollers while i was riding behind it. the glass came out from the hull of the boat and i had to reset it, didnt take too long an hour or so. Also something has either happened with perfect pass or the throttle somewhere, when I give it gas, it doesnt engage until the throttle is half way down, it also clicks at a certain point, very strange. i bet this isnt going to be cheap.......

guinsha54
06-10-2008, 11:34 AM
Ouch, doesn’t sound good. Wish I could give some helpful advice. But thanks for the feedback.

deeluk
06-10-2008, 01:14 PM
I bought the 500lb bags, not the 750. there is very minimal room left over when these bags are full for storage, maybe a couple life jackets on top and the rope. It basically fills the entire compartment. with the wakeplate up the boat porpoises like mad, which led to a whole slew of new problems this weekend. I helplessly watched the girlfriend launch the boat into the air off some rollers while i was riding behind it. the glass came out from the hull of the boat and i had to reset it, didnt take too long an hour or so. Also something has either happened with perfect pass or the throttle somewhere, when I give it gas, it doesnt engage until the throttle is half way down, it also clicks at a certain point, very strange. i bet this isnt going to be cheap.......
I have the same problem with porpoising running a lot of weight in the back. I basically don't use the wakeplate at all. It's all the way down all the time. I have been trying to go lighter in the back to get back some of the plate shaping. I haven't found the sweet spot yet though. Sounds like you're running even more weight up front than me too. I'd expect the weight in the front to help with the porpoising. Have you tried only filling the rear bags up maybe 3/4 or so?

yager97
06-10-2008, 01:45 PM
I haven't actually tried that yet. but thats mainly because my bags fill automatically no matter which way the switch is on the solenoid valves on my ballast systems. I also can't find the damn evac pump for the port side tank to try and replace it. my ballast system is riddled with problems and is getting increasingly frusterating to the point where i want to sell the boat. With the wakeplate down it seems to negate any of the weight that is put in the back of the boat, the wakeplate being down lifts the hull out of the water, the wake is tiny.

deeluk
06-10-2008, 05:30 PM
Hmmm. I think the weight in the back still makes a difference whether or not the plate is up or down. I agree with it up, the wake should be even bigger. But when I went from the stock 250s in the back and plate all the way up to 500s in the back plate down, the wake got much bigger. At first, I didn't have any added weight up front which exaggerated the porpoising even more and threw off my balance to something like 70/30.