PDA

View Full Version : Dual Battery (2006 Outback V) won't start

JC_N_NC
05-25-2008, 04:19 PM
We went to the lake for a short set and the boat was completely dead when we got it in the water. We were just out on Friday and had no issues (99.9% sure everything was off when we pulled out) Even if it wasn't, it shouldn't have drained the dual battery system!

I put a jump pack on it and the boat started right up. Away we went and about 2-3 minutes out from the marina, all the guages died and we ended up being dead in the water. It seems that once the jump pack lost all of it's power the boat stopped.

Towed it in and pulled it on the trailer.

Where should I start?

Thanks in advance!

04OUTBACK
05-25-2008, 04:56 PM
I'm not a mechanic, but sounds like an alternator issue... maybe as small as a wire issue on the alt...
Auto Zone can test your system to see if it is charging, but you would have to have a water hose there to run the motor i guess...

Good luck figuring out.. bad timing! :-(

JC_N_NC
05-25-2008, 06:10 PM
Got under the "hood" finally and the alternator belt is shredded. Now for the fun of finding one and changing it.

BringOnAnotherThousand (BOAT).... LOL

JC_N_NC
05-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Ok all you experts, who has the best set of plans for replacing a shredded belt?

2006 Outback V

Thanks

04OUTBACK
05-25-2008, 07:57 PM
Sorry I have no input on belt replacing but make sure you find the cause of shredded belt. Either something rubbed it/cut it most likely.
Should be easy for any gearhead. My guess there is some way to adjust tension that would allow replacement.
Good luck.

JC_N_NC
05-25-2008, 09:36 PM
I'm pretty sure it was too tight. I was having the high rev issue and just had not had time to take it back to the dealer. It started revving high in neutral after the 100 hr service. I have seen post on here saying that was the issue.