PDA

View Full Version : "Emergency Brake Reset" Boatmate Trailer

RickMcD
09-14-2003, 07:09 PM
I have a 2001 Moomba Kamberra with a standard Boatmate trailer. At the hitch area of the trailer, a small wire protrudes with an "S" hook which is to be fastened to the towing vehicle when pulling the trailer. As I understand it, this wire is somehow connected to the trailer brakes and in an emergency - say if your trailer comes loose from the towing vehicle, this wire "sets" the trailer brakes.

When I unhooked my boat at home today, I neglected to remove the "S" hook and when I pulled the car away the wire did what it was supposed to and (I assume) set the brakes.

It got dark so I haven't checked it further. Does anyone know what I have done? What do I do now to "unset" the trailer brakes and set everything back to square one?

Catdog1
09-14-2003, 07:45 PM
http://www.ufpnet.com/

Try this Rick. Click this link, select "actuators", and check-out the owners manual.

If your 2001 is like my 99, then this will describe reset methods for a couple of equipment configurations.

I think the solution will be reseting a lever under the tongue via use of a small screwdriver.

RickMcD
09-14-2003, 07:51 PM
Thanks, catdog 1

The reference you gave looks like the answer. I feel better already. I thought I had ruined the trailer or something serious like that!

mtvfiremedic
09-15-2003, 12:58 AM
no its easy.. i did it on accident too...now i keep a straight screwdriver in my tow vehicle just slide it in underneath and push up on the tab as you use the screwdriver to push the actuator back in... even though you arent supposed to, i have used this to "set the brake" on my driveway as added security... when i have to park it on the downhill.. in addition to my wheel chocks

tcabrera
08-12-2004, 12:17 PM
I did worse, I left mine connected and pulled the cable out completely. Does anybody know how to repair this? After I pulled the cable completely off, the trailer still moved so I assume the brakes are not set.

lowdrag
08-14-2004, 03:46 PM
If you haven't, make sure you replace the "c" clip that is attached to the cable inside the hitch. It keeps the brakes from being accidentally activated.