PDA

View Full Version : Bow filler cushion question

jkendall79
05-20-2008, 07:19 PM
So I picked up my cushion today for my Outback DD, and am trying to figure out how to install it. It looks pretty straightforward, I'm assuming you line up the rails and then drill for the bolts, but I'm a little nervous about doing this. If anyone has installed this in their boats, or could post some pictures of the rails already mounted in their boat, it would be a big help. Thanks!

csmsk
05-20-2008, 07:29 PM
jk, How much did that run you? I've been thinking about getting one myself.

I'd also love to see some pix of the install.

Thanks.

pickle311
05-20-2008, 08:01 PM
I installed it in my Outback and it is easy. Just make sure you dont put the rail too far back. I put them farther back than the factory because I didn't want them up next to the cup holders. That caused the rails to be spaced out too far and would let the cushion fall between them when people sat on it. I don't have pics of it and I don't have the boat anymore. If you search back, I asked the same question and someone posted a pic with measurements for me. You should be able to find the post.

bamaspiveys
05-20-2008, 08:59 PM
my boat is at the storage lot, but I can get some measurments for you. I am sure someone here has their boat at home and can get before I do. If they don't I will post them later this week for you.

jkendall79
05-20-2008, 10:55 PM
Thanks pickle, I found the pictures you were talking about. csmsk, you can have your dealer order one for about $200 plus tax. Make sure when you go to order it that you have the hull vin number (found on the back of the boat), because they will need it in order to match the upholstery. In fact, my dealer said Skier's choice won't even let them place the order without it.

JesseC
05-20-2008, 11:17 PM
Here are two of the previous threads that have to do with the bow filler cushion. I posted photos in both threads, just scroll down for them. One with some measurements and the other thread has photos of bow filler in, out and standing. Hope this helps. If you need more measurements, just let me know. This is in an 02 LSV which should be about the same.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=3356

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=4625

csmsk
05-20-2008, 11:28 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm all over that!

jkendall79
05-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Thanks Jesse, I feel more comfortable about performing this install after seeing pictures of it. It's always a little nerve racking drilling holes in the fiberglass!

c.rix
05-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Jkendall,
Drill your pilot hole for the screws first. Then get a drill bit bigger than the diameter of the screw threads your installing, run the drill in reverse so it doesnt grab untill you get through the gel coat. This way you wont have to worry about the gelcoat chipping or cracking.

K_E_N
05-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Good point. When drilling through fiberglass, you can actually drill the entire hole with the dirll in reverse. You can change direction after getting through the gelcoat, but you don't even have to do that unless you want to.
I added some aluminum pieces from side to side, and secured the cushion to these. They prevent the cushion from moving when someone steps on the side of it or when I'm going 70 down the interstate. Sure, you can no longer remove it to access the open area or the cup holders, but never did that anyway.

jkendall79
05-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. Got the cushion installed yesterday, no problems, and it only took about an hour!