PDA

View Full Version : Securing the rear compartments?

spyder
05-19-2008, 10:58 PM
Any anyone thought or completed a modification to the rear v-drive compartments to allow them to be locked?

I was thinking if you could attach something under the compartment lids, you would only be able to open them when the engine lid is open, although an inconvenience it would all you to store goods in the rear of the boat without having to worry about removing them at the end of the day.

tazz3069
05-19-2008, 11:31 PM
That is a great idea. I was kinda thinking of the lock system that locks down the Tonneu Covers on the truck beds. Just need to modify the latch.

pickle311
05-20-2008, 08:48 AM
my take on that is if someone wants what's in there, they are going to get it. By installing the lock, you are just forcing them to destroy your boat in the process. Locks just keep honest people honest.

spyder
05-20-2008, 09:17 AM
my take on that is if someone wants what's in there, they are going to get it. By installing the lock, you are just forcing them to destroy your boat in the process. Locks just keep honest people honest.

Yeah, real thieves it will not stop, but I am more worried about nosy kids just rooting around in the boat and happening to find a rope or gear to lift. I think it would be a great idea.

kaneboats
05-20-2008, 09:58 PM
I've had the same argument about locking the convertible. If you lock it and they cut through the convertible top they get there anyway. I leave mine open and just don't leave anything much in there. Can't always do that with the boat gear though.

moombabound
05-23-2008, 12:33 AM
I'm looking to implement the same. I emailed Skiers Choice 3 weeks ago, because there was already one post on this site, but nobody answered it: (https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=1464). SC did not reply. My current thought is to use a 3 digit combination lock on the engine panels. These are available at an RV shop for $25/each and are sold for the purpose of not requiring a key for the RV external storage compartments. Then screw a bracket to the cover underside. If someone REALLY wants in, result would be bracket screws torn out; not overly damaging. Probably a deterrent though. Standard on Malibu's.

cab13367
05-25-2008, 11:52 PM
Any anyone thought or completed a modification to the rear v-drive compartments to allow them to be locked?

I was thinking if you could attach something under the compartment lids, you would only be able to open them when the engine lid is open, although an inconvenience it would all you to store goods in the rear of the boat without having to worry about removing them at the end of the day.
spyder,

That's a great idea and should be pretty easy to do. I could then lock up the boards, life jackets, etc. overnight when we go someplace that rents boat slips.

I might put that in when I get a chance but I have other priorities right now.

Al

jester
06-07-2008, 07:04 PM
I am looking at working on this during the summer to my 2008 outback V. I have two ideas.

One would be a simple pin from the engine bay into the rear storage area. All you need to do is put a clip on the storage areas and then a pin the goes into them. The engine bay locks so it would be a two step process.

The other idea is to mod the lock to the engine bay to extend out and lock the storage areas when it is turned. The first way would be the fastest but the second would make sure you don’t forget a step and would be kind of cool.

I will post pic’s and instructions if I do this.

newty
06-07-2008, 11:55 PM
Why couldn't you make a couple square steel plates thet have bushing that attach to the hatches and swivel out on under the motor cover, then you just lock the motor cover. Use the bushings to keep the plates from swinging around unless you manually rotate them under the motor cover. A trip to the hardware store and under $10, done!

My .02

Razzman
06-10-2008, 11:50 AM
By far a very simple solution Newty. In fact i may just do that myself.

cab13367
06-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Newty,

I am not following you. Could you explain a little further, or post a drawing?

I'm not as sharp as Razzman :o(

Al

Razzman
06-10-2008, 06:46 PM
Newty,

I am not following you. Could you explain a little further, or post a drawing?

I'm not as sharp as Razzman :o(

Al

Your killing me Al! :p

newty
06-11-2008, 01:43 AM
Hope this helps. Not much of an artist.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk263/newtyznutz/untitled.jpg

cab13367
06-11-2008, 02:10 AM
Newty,

Thanks for the drawing. Now I get it! I agree with Razzman, it's simple and should do the trick.

Thanks again.

Al